Author Topic: I Wonder How Much BBQ Grills Will Cost in 5 Years?  (Read 12992 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
I Wonder How Much BBQ Grills Will Cost in 5 Years?
« on: March 17, 2015, 11:12:40 AM »
EPA studying potential regulation of outdoor grills, to include catalytic converters.  That's gonna have to nearly double the price of a grill if it happens.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/03/17/lawmaker-calls-for-rebellion-against-epa-pollution-emissions-for-backyard/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Re: I Wonder How Much BBQ Grills Will Cost in 5 Years?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:15:35 AM »
Sounds like someone just invested in platinum.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:20:52 AM »
They've been rattling on about this on and off for years, but it's looking more serious.

How in the hell would you ever get a cat converter up to operating temperature with a grill?

That's insane. But that's the EPA for you.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:28:16 AM »
How's a catalytic converter supposed to work once it's covered in grease?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »

I'd assume that, if it were to get hot enough to actually work as a catalytic converter, it would simply burn off any accumulated grease into a carbon ash.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 11:39:10 AM »

They'll end up being just like chain saws. If you want it to run properly, you remove the Cat before you even start the thing for the first time..

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 11:50:01 AM »
They'll end up being just like chain saws. If you want it to run properly, you remove the Cat before you even start the thing for the first time..

FELONY! YOU'RE COMMITTING A FELONY!

Not to mention you're a rapist of the good mother earth!

Our motto -- The most extreme inconvenience for no measurable gain is the least we can impose on you.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »
I guess I should buy a new grille as soon as Lowe's puts them on sale. I haven't had one for several years. Wasn't planning to buy one, but this could be an incentive.

I'll bet the grille manufacturers' association is behind this -- anything to generate panic buying must be good, right? (Hey, it worked for AR-15s and ammunition!)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 11:51:29 AM »
I wonder if they're going to try and regulate fire pits. 

Chris

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
Mike, I would have thought you'd be in favor of this.  After all, based on these statistics I just made up, grilling an average steak is as bad for the environment as burning six floppy disks.

What is the wisdom on long-lasting grills?  Is stainless all around still the gold standard, or is there something better these days?

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 11:56:23 AM »
I have visions of an expensive, finely made honeycomb platinum ceramic structure all plugged solid with hamburger fat.  

Reading the article, it's even better.  They plan to have the grill's exhaust force-fed through the converter.  "[T]he emission removal system includes the use of a 'secondary air filtration system is composed of a single pipe duct system which contains a specialized metal filter, a metal fan blade, a drive shaft, and an accompanying power system with either a motorized or manual method'".

Yeah, no.  I'll build my own grill out of a pile of bricks before I put up with that nonsense.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
Mike, I would have thought you'd be in favor of this.  After all, based on these statistics I just made up, grilling an average steak is as bad for the environment as burning six floppy disks.

What is the wisdom on long-lasting grills?  Is stainless all around still the gold standard, or is there something better these days?

What do you think I fuel my grill with?

I have a Weber kettle that I don't use much these days. The biggest secret to a long lasting grill of any type is to clean out the ashes at the end of the season and give everything a good cleaning. Unfortunately, the spot welds on the legs are eventually going to give out no matter what you do. That's one of the biggest flaws of the Weber.

I tend to prefer cast iron cooking grates, myself. I'd put them in my kettle, but my god they are expensive!

"Yeah, no.  I'll build my own grill out of a pile of bricks before I put up with that nonsense."

Before I read your post I was thinking that very thing myself.

It's not hard at all to cobble together a very workable grilling solution.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 12:52:06 PM »
Does it even apply to actual grills, or just to those people who think they're "grilling" when they're only using a stripped down gas stove outside?

I mean really, if I want to cook over propane, I'll do it inside with air conditioning and a sink handy.  Outside is for wood.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 12:52:41 PM »
The day that I'm required to have a cat converter on my grill is the day I burn a tire in my fire pit as protest.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »
OH! This is only about propane (at this point).

Good lord.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »
Where there's smoke, there's EPA.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 01:55:26 PM »
So, declare the smoke from my Weber gas grill to be hazardous waste, require this super filtration system, and also require that the grill be inspected annually by a certified grill inspector, who will charge me $75 for my annual license.  Oh, and mandate that I wear a respirator while I cook on my grill.  And, I'm sure charcoal would be quickly caught up in this nightmare scenario, or outright banned for reasons I'm too outraged to even think about...

Oh, and for you charcoal purists, I have two grills...a gas grill I use for fast cooks...burgers, hot dogs...simple and easy at the end of a work day.  Weber Spirit, 3 burner.  And, I have my father's Weber kettle that I bought him for father's day in 1989.  Old Smokey gets fired up for anything that is a low and slow cook.  Yeah, the wood handles have rotted away, and the vent covers in the bottom have rusted through, but the history, and the way it cooks...

They can have my grills when they pry them from my cold, greasy fingers...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »
I actually am surprised that they're focusing on gas grills at this time. The normal modus operandi would be to restrict or require permits for wood and charcoal, moving people to gas grills as "greener" alternatives, then ban charcoal, then start doing what they're studying now, and go after gas grills.

The way they're doing it now (and I recognize it's just a study at this time) would result in people saying "Screw paying $3000 for a Rube Goldberg gas grill - I'll buy a bag of charcoal and a steel fire pit from Costco."
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 02:19:50 PM »
Just when you think gov't can;t get more stupid and overbearing, something like this pops up.

Given:
1. Bricks, pavers, or concrete blocks.
2. A grill lattice.
3. A replacement burner element.
4. Metal garbage can lid.
5. Propane tank/bottle & hose to fit burner element.
6. 15 minutes of time and a few beers.

I could put together a nice propane grill.  No mortar needed.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 02:24:45 PM »
Just when you think gov't can;t get more stupid and overbearing, something like this pops up.

Given:
1. Bricks, pavers, or concrete blocks.
2. A grill lattice.
3. A replacement burner element.
4. Metal garbage can lid.
5. Propane tank/bottle & hose to fit burner element.
6. 15 minutes of time and a few beers.

I could put together a nice propane grill.  No mortar needed.

Well, you'll get away with it until the new 18 bajillion dollar EPA enforcement satellite picks up the heat signature, identifies the gases, then sends an alert to the local EPA black ops team to come to your house and stomp your kitten's head.

=D

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 02:35:21 PM »

Well, you'll get away with it until the new 18 bajillion dollar EPA enforcement satellite picks up the heat signature, identifies the gases, then sends an alert to the local EPA black ops team to come to your house and stomp your kitten's head.

=D

Nah. Predator with onboard sensors plus Hellfire. Done.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »
If this were to happen, you would see a lot of fire pits show up in back yards and maybe more yard and house fires resulting.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 03:40:18 PM »
Isn't most of the smoke emission from the burning grease and oil from the food, not the actual fire?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 03:59:54 PM »
Nah. Predator with onboard sensors plus Hellfire. Done.

Sorry folks, just another tragic accidental NG explosion, nothing to see here, move along. [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »
Backwoods charcoal producers will become the new moonshiners.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama