Author Topic: I Wonder How Much BBQ Grills Will Cost in 5 Years?  (Read 12990 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: I Wonder How Much BBQ Grills Will Cost in 5 Years?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2015, 04:05:25 PM »
If this were to happen, you would see a lot of fire pits show up in back yards and maybe more yard and house fires resulting.

So are you saying that apartment dwellers are going to have to go without?

We had an apartment building locally burned to about medium-well when the grease buildup on the underside of the balcony above reached critical temperature.  Quite the weekend show.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
When you think about it, how can they ban those little charcoal grill burners that you can buy for $20?  They can try, but it is too easy to just make a substitute.

We have a mini-propane grill and a case of the little bottles as part of our hurricane preparedness kit at the plant I work at.  They are screwing around with a wide range of products.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »
When you think about it, how can they ban those little charcoal grill burners that you can buy for $20?  They can try, but it is too easy to just make a substitute.

Simple. You ban the fuel.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2015, 08:29:59 PM »
Hard to ban the fuel.  LP is used for a lot more than grills. Paving company I once worked for used a ton of the grill sized tanks for torches, paver heaters, etc.  Not to mention all the folks who heat their homes on the big LP tanks.  Charcoal, well industrial charcoal uses aside, anyone can make charcoal with some wood and an air tight container.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »
I was referencing specifically MechAg's comment regarding charcoal grills.

And yes, it's possible to make charcoal with a little labor.

But why do that when it's far simpler to burn wood?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2015, 08:51:55 PM »
Not to mention you're a rapist of the good mother earth!

I like to think that I'm keeping power tools out of landfills by not letting them melt down after three days of running too lean.  ;)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »
And woodstoves

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:51 PM »
The more government rubs up against people the less people like it. This is a major imposition that will cut across all parties and ideologies.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »
Does it even apply to actual grills, or just to those people who think they're "grilling" when they're only using a stripped down gas stove outside?

I mean really, if I want to cook over propane, I'll do it inside with air conditioning and a sink handy.  Outside is for wood.

That's what my wife said when we were shopping for a new grill after buying the house. I saw her point, and am much happier with the big Weber kettle than I would have been with a gas grill.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2015, 09:30:32 AM »
Wood stoves have been in EPA's sights for literally decades. It really ramped up in the 1970s with the huge increase in the number of people heating with wood due to the Arab Oil Embargos, lean economic times, and spiking prices all around.

But shower use?  :facepalm:

That sounds to me as if it should be a state concern.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2015, 09:34:58 AM »
That's what my wife said when we were shopping for a new grill after buying the house. I saw her point, and am much happier with the big Weber kettle than I would have been with a gas grill.

Yep. I had a gas grill for awhile, one that the neighbors gave me.

In reality it was no faster than charcoal -- the time it takes a propane grill to heat up to a good cooking temperature is about the same time it takes a load of charcoal to get rolling -- and it had none of the flavor profile of a charcoal grill.

I used it for maybe two years, and when the burners rotted out I didn't bother replacing them.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
In reality it was no faster than charcoal -- the time it takes a propane grill to heat up to a good cooking temperature is about the same time it takes a load of charcoal to get rolling -- and it had none of the flavor profile of a charcoal grill.

I usually delay myself a bit more by working mostly from wood, but when I'm done cooking I throw a few more mesquite splits on, let them get started, then close the dampers so I'll have some charred for faster startup next time.  It's worth it for the hardcore mesquite flavor on cheaper meats, and charring up enough to not cook over fresh wood is worth the extra effort when I'm cooking up some really good meat.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »
If I have time or am cooking a lot of food on the grill, I go with charcoal and maybe even add some nicely seasoned wood.  However, if I just want to cook a few burgers or hot dogs, then I use these.  They do a pretty good job.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 10:08:21 AM »
However, if I just want to cook a few burgers or hot dogs, then I use these.  They do a pretty good job.

Chris

Oops, it's a clickable link.

Never mind.

And holy crap, nearly $10 for a single grilling session, compared to maybe $1 of charcoal?

Looks to me like a very expensive solution for people who might want to consider grilling over burning money instead.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:14:13 AM by Mike Irwin »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 10:14:59 AM »
Some of those little charcoal burners are also very very cheap. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
Some of those little charcoal burners are also very very cheap. 

I've seen single use picnic trays (basically charcoal in a heavy aluminum pan with some kind of pressed aluminum "grate" for about $5.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 10:44:24 AM »
Oops, it's a clickable link.

Never mind.

And holy crap, nearly $10 for a single grilling session, compared to maybe $1 of charcoal?

Looks to me like a very expensive solution for people who might want to consider grilling over burning money instead.

They're $4/each as a 10 pack.  You're paying for convenience.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2015, 10:47:10 AM »
They're $4/each as a 10 pack.  You're paying for convenience.

Chris

Yeah, I understand convenience.

The way that Amazon page reads, though, it sure makes it seem as if you are paying almost $10 for a SINGLE flame disk. I didn't see the option to knock that price down.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »
A 1 pack is $10, but right next to it is a 10-pack for $40.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »
A 1 pack is $10, but right next to it is a 10-pack for $40.

Chris

Huh. Lookie there.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2015, 11:16:32 AM »
Next time you're over, I'll either use one to cook or I'll give you one to try for yourself.

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »
Would you guys knock it off.  We need to get back to the FEMA shelter (40 to a box) so we can huddle around the single candle and eat our .gov approved and issued bowl of gruel.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2015, 11:25:28 AM »
Would you guys knock it off.  We need to get back to the FEMA shelter (40 to a box) so we can huddle around the single candle and eat our .gov approved and issued bowl of gruel.

Gruel: Soon to be re-named "Fairness Food."  Hell, nutty libertarians want us to all eat beans, so it is hard not to believe the left wants us to eat gruel.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »
Gruel: Soon to be re-named "Fairness Food."  Hell, nutty libertarians want us to all eat beans, so it is hard not to believe the left wants us to eat gruel.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."