Author Topic: More reasons not to fly the [formerly] friendly skies  (Read 2404 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
More reasons not to fly the [formerly] friendly skies
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-06/tsa-warns-local-police-about-its-new-airport-pat-downs

The TSA is expanding it's perv patrol, and alerting the cops so that if any uppity serf has the temerity to complain about having been groped, the cops will be properly prepared to tell said uppity serf that it's all in a day's work for a paid perv.

I think I'll apply for a pre-check card ... even though I don't plan to fly anywhere in the foreseeable future.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dm1333

• friend
Re: More reasons not to fly the [formerly] friendly skies
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:46:22 PM »
I'm flying to NC on Friday.  So tempted to shove something down the front of my pants and ask if I can get a pat down   ;)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »
You may not have to ask.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
I used to always request the patdown to avoid the scanners. It was a blend of concern over radiation and a protest against the corrupt process of their procurement. But, my friend said they don't use backscatter xrays anymore, and dang if it isn't a lot more convenient. So I have been going through the scanners like the rest of the sheep. I'm not sure if I won or lost that one. I could boycott flying altogether, but I'm not sure if that would be winning or losing either...

When I fly back from Japan I always get through security without realizing it. No line, no taking shoes off, no scanners except maybe metal detectors, but I don't notice..it's like being a human being again.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:53:40 PM »
Same when I fly back from Chile (my late wife's native country). It seems the Japanese, Chileans, and some other countries are more interested in security than they are in security theater.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 05:51:55 AM »
I used to always request the patdown to avoid the scanners. It was a blend of concern over radiation and a protest against the corrupt process of their procurement. But, my friend said they don't use backscatter xrays anymore, and dang if it isn't a lot more convenient. So I have been going through the scanners like the rest of the sheep. I'm not sure if I won or lost that one. I could boycott flying altogether, but I'm not sure if that would be winning or losing either...

When I fly back from Japan I always get through security without realizing it. No line, no taking shoes off, no scanners except maybe metal detectors, but I don't notice..it's like being a human being again.

Oh yeah. Flying out of Japan is so much easier.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »

I did the same, though I wasn't as concerned about radiation so much as protesting the need for scanners. It didn't make a difference; at least nine times out of ten that I fly they pull me aside and do the pat down even after going through the scanners. I've been considering going back to just pat me down since they are going to anyway and skip the scanners again.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 09:40:19 AM »
With the three stainless steel pins in my left hip from the 1996 hip fracture, I usually trigger the metal detectors at the courthouse and airport and get a pat down.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 10:16:09 AM »
I'll be flying next week for the first time in awhile that isn't military related.  Be interesting to see what happens since I have used my DOD ID number to hopefully bypass that BS.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 10:25:40 AM »
I'll be flying next week for the first time in awhile that isn't military related.  Be interesting to see what happens since I have used my DOD ID number to hopefully bypass that BS.

BTDT.

Check to make sure they print "Pre-Check" on the boarding pass when you check in.  If they forgot, the agent can type it in and get you a new boarding pass printed if you ask nicely and show her your CAC.  If you hit security without the right boarding pass you are going to stop and frisk, no matter what ID you have.

My experience has been airlines are about 60% on managing to get the number in and on your pass even if you typed it in when booking.  That percentage drops to like 30% if you book a flight through DTS.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 10:56:51 AM »
Yep, fly next Wed to Indy and then return on Thurs.

Quick up and back.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!