Author Topic: Robot Payroll Taxes  (Read 21007 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Robot Payroll Taxes
« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2017, 10:04:31 PM »
They get their fair share of dollars from the state and federal government.
No, they don't.  Fire and police are funded locally.  Water treatment and sewage are funded through fees and bonds (repaid with property taxes locally).  

There is plenty of stuff to argue and debate about at the state and federal level.  There is no point is plowing ahead where you know you are wrong.  You make all your arguments look foolish.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2017, 10:05:28 PM »
Comes to regulatory, government is more accountable than private industry. You may not agree with what or how it's being regulated, but government is more accountable.
You are going to have to define this word "accountable" since you obviously don't define it the same way I do. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »
Hey Charby since you are cool with all this taxation and love the .gov why don't you go ahead and donate freely above and beyond what you are taxed to the government? Put your money where your mouth is.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2017, 10:20:30 PM »
Hey Charby since you are cool with all this taxation and love the .gov why don't you go ahead and donate freely above and beyond what you are taxed to the government? Put your money where your mouth is.

I already do, I voluntarily pay extra tax for a couple of the state trust funds in Iowa.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2017, 10:34:12 PM »
You are going to have to define this word "accountable" since you obviously don't define it the same way I do. 

So where I live, state has an Auditor's office that can investigate if wrong doing is reported with a regulatory bureau. Auditor is elected, so not permanent state employee.

Regulatory Bureau also has the power of state code to enforce code or levy fines. Also can revoke licensure or permits. Regulated business can appeal decision, usually putative doesn't happen until 3 violation unless violation is flagrant violation.

Also businesses being regulated has a non state employee board who gives guidance to regulatory bureau, so it's not a one way street for the state.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2017, 11:03:42 PM »
No, they don't.  Fire and police are funded locally.  Water treatment and sewage are funded through fees and bonds (repaid with property taxes locally).  

There is plenty of stuff to argue and debate about at the state and federal level.  There is no point is plowing ahead where you know you are wrong.  You make all your arguments look foolish.

Ours gets monies from both. Grants that are paid for from tax dollars. Remember all the Homeland Security money that got passed down?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2017, 11:08:18 PM »
Comes to regulatory, government is more accountable than private industry. You may not agree with what or how it's being regulated, but government is more accountable.

Horseshit.

How many people got fired/disciplined for the IRS targeting conservative groups ?
How many people got fired/disciplined for Fast and Furious ?
How many people got fired/disciplined at the VA ?
How many people got fired/disciplined for the Gold King Mine spill disaster ?
How many people got fired/disciplined Secret Service hiring hookers in foreign countries ?
How many people got fired/disciplined being suckass teachers ?
How many people got fired/disciplined for being cops that violate people's rights ?

Government is the LEAST accountable of anyone.

I can fire my butcher if I think he's charging me too much for thumbs. I can avoid restaurants I suspect of being less than clean.  I can not use the goods or services of any private entity I wish, but I cannot avoid the government.

P.S. Taxation is Theft.  And like Ben, I'm willing to help someone out for upto 6 months to get back on their feet.  But I'd prefer that private organizations do it (as they ten to be more compassionate) and not impersonal .gov.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2017, 11:14:06 PM »
Horseshit.

How many people got fired/disciplined for the IRS targeting conservative groups ?
How many people got fired/disciplined for Fast and Furious ?
How many people got fired/disciplined at the VA ?
How many people got fired/disciplined for the Gold King Mine spill disaster ?
How many people got fired/disciplined Secret Service hiring hookers in foreign countries ?
How many people got fired/disciplined being suckass teachers ?
How many people got fired/disciplined for being cops that violate people's rights ?

Government is the LEAST accountable of anyone.

I can fire my butcher if I think he's charging me too much for thumbs. I can avoid restaurants I suspect of being less than clean.  I can not use the goods or services of any private entity I wish, but I cannot avoid the government.

P.S. Taxation is Theft.  And like Ben, I'm willing to help someone out for upto 6 months to get back on their feet.  But I'd prefer that private organizations do it (as they ten to be more compassionate) and not impersonal .gov.

We can banter back and forth for eternity, I can grab instances where private industry has failed just as bad you what you listed above.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2017, 11:15:40 PM »
If I was planning on staying here, I probably would after Robert graduates.  But since I'm planning on moving, probably not.

Plus, my opponent would drag my ex- out to tell everyone what a horrible human being I am.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
We can banter back and forth for eternity, I can grab instances where private industry has failed just as bad you what you listed above.

Yes, but they CAN held to account.  Either criminally or via the market...

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »
Michael Brown still beat up little old men. Ben Franklin's quote comes to mind here. Freedom is dangerous, but I'd rather be free than safe and a prisoner. If we're saying it's okay for the government to take our money and give it to feral urban youth so they don't hurt us, how is that different than mafia bent-noses collecting 20% of a shopkeeper's income every week "to protect his place from being burned down"?

The whole urban youths thing is actually something I picked up recently trying to research the history of public schools in America. It actually was an argument made in several states the very early 1800s, also how poor kids would go to school for free and rich folks would pay the way for their kids and supplement the poor kids.

I was trying to decide is vouchers were a good or bad thing, should monies (or a certain %) stay in the district where a student lives if they open enroll, etc.

Did you know that by 1870 all states (ones at the time) had tax subsidized elementary schools?

Sure. That includes the lower income brackets that don't report tips and such. The biggest problem our society has is that 50% of the population doesn't have any skin in the game.

In theory, I would not have a big problem with some tax money (though I would prefer it to be private charities) going to "havenots" given: It's someone who is truly down on their luck.  I don't mind helping the person who lost their home in a tornado and their workplace along with it, on a temporary basis until they get back on their feet. However, it has to be someone who is trying, not someone who would rather collect welfare than work at McDonald's or pick up a shovel (or is saying, "give me money or I'll mug people"). It also has to be in a society where we are only giving 10% of the population the helping hand. When you're doling out the dole to half the population, there is a big problem that more taxes are never going to fix. If anything, they will only grow the problem.

Would be nice if it was just a temporary handout, but realistically is there enough jobs at or above the poverty line where many of these people work to get them off entitlements? Some of these poor areas are just poor with not much hope because of past actions of the residents being screwed over several decades ago. Something like in the 1920s incomes between blacks and whites in urban areas were fairly equal, then bad things started to happen financially to the black communities by outsiders. Not violence, but predatory lending and or laws created that prevented blacks taking out mortages, etc. Called Redlining. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redlining

Not saying it is an excuse, but it is going to take a whole lot of intervention to break the entitlement cycle, isn't going to happen overnight. You take away bennies, without a income opportunity to replace it, going to be a lot of pissed off people and a lot of violence.

Trump was touching on some of this in his campaign how we haven't fixed the urban problems.

Trust me I'm racking my brain on this, I would to see a lot more participation in the workforce and lot less entitlements, but how do you do it and not cause a lot of social unrest that ends up more costly then keeping the entitlements flowing.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2017, 11:31:26 PM »
Yes, but they CAN held to account.  Either criminally or via the market...

and so can government, worse case you have to build a bulletproof case and sue.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2017, 11:48:23 PM »
and so can government, worse case you have to build a bulletproof case and sue.

Again,  Horseshit.

No, even a bulletproof case and they get away with it.  Plus I have to hire a lawyer and use my time and money.  If I want to fire my butcher, I simply don't go there anymore.  I don't have to "build a bulletproof case", or do anything else.

Even the EPA guy that pulled the plug on the mine, releasing millions of gallons of pollution, suffered no consequences.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/12/gold-king-mine-epa-employee-will-not-prosecute/

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/20/epas-gold-king-mine-boss-dodged-federal-probe-by-retiring/

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2017, 12:04:02 AM »
Again,  Horseshit.

No, even a bulletproof case and they get away with it.  Plus I have to hire a lawyer and use my time and money.  If I want to fire my butcher, I simply don't go there anymore.  I don't have to "build a bulletproof case", or do anything else.

Even the EPA guy that pulled the plug on the mine, releasing millions of gallons of pollution, suffered no consequences.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/10/12/gold-king-mine-epa-employee-will-not-prosecute/

http://dailycaller.com/2016/06/20/epas-gold-king-mine-boss-dodged-federal-probe-by-retiring/

Want me to start replying with news stories of fed and state employees who went to prison?

Uranus is a gas giant.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2017, 12:05:31 AM »
Would be nice if it was just a temporary handout, but realistically is there enough jobs at or above the poverty line where many of these people work to get them off entitlements?

How about the 5 million blue collar jobs currently going unfilled due to the skills gap??  A lot of those pay quite well, if you are willing to actually work hard.  Heck, even if you're willing to work half ass hard you can still make a living.  Fill those jobs and you'll likely see a multiplier effect throughout the economy.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2017, 12:06:08 AM »
Likewise because I see your argument is all taxes are bad.

I've never said that, or anything close to it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2017, 12:12:27 AM »
Want me to start replying with news stories of fed and state employees who went to prison?
Yes, please roll out your anecdotal proof that you are not wrong.  I am sure no one can find the same for private companies. 

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2017, 12:15:50 AM »
How about the 5 million blue collar jobs currently going unfilled due to the skills gap??  A lot of those pay quite well, if you are willing to actually work hard.  Heck, even if you're willing to work half ass hard you can still make a living.  Fill those jobs and you'll likely see a multiplier effect throughout the economy.

Are these jobs logistical possible to the ones I mentioned above? There is 2000 or so jobs available where I live but unemployment rate is under 4% so they are having a hard time finding anyone within reasonable driving distance to work them. Plus if move here, your going have buy since the rentals are very full.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2017, 12:16:45 AM »

I've never said that, or anything close to it.

Came off that way.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2017, 12:21:12 AM »
Ours gets monies from both. Grants that are paid for from tax dollars. Remember all the Homeland Security money that got passed down?
1.  Since it is true for yours, that must make it true for everyone?

2.  The fedgov grants were not continuous and only covered specific things.  The police and firefighters get pay checks from the local cities and towns.  Except for the volunteers.  They might get extra toys from higher levels but that doesn't change the base funding.  

My point remains that cuts in state or federal funding do not affect those local services.  There are lots of other things we could agree on.  School funding comes to mind.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2017, 12:24:23 AM »
Came off that way.
Only to you because you are arguing for more taxes as the solution to all problems. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2017, 12:25:32 AM »
Came off that way.

OK. Let's say things in Kansas are as bad as you say, and that tax cuts (rather than tax monies being wasted on non-essentials, burdensome regulation keeping GDP growth down, etc) is the reason for it. That is actually a good problem to have, compared to the rest of the country, that struggles with too much spending and too much taxation to support the too much taxation. As we've seen in our history, it's not hard to correct the problem of too little taxation. You just trot out enough sad pandas that need tax money, and have the Left air their stories on the evening news. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #123 on: March 03, 2017, 12:28:08 AM »
Are these jobs logistical possible to the ones I mentioned above? There is 2000 or so jobs available where I live but unemployment rate is under 4% so they are having a hard time finding anyone within reasonable driving distance to work them. Plus if move here, your going have buy since the rentals are very full.

I don't give a tinker's damn if it's logistically easy for someone to take a job.  Given the moving around I've had to do, and have been willing to do, some welfare sucking leech gets no sympathy from me if they lose their bennies because they didn't want to leave their hommies to take a job.