Author Topic: 13,000-year-old tools unearthed at Colorado home  (Read 5630 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
13,000-year-old tools unearthed at Colorado home
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:40:39 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090226/ap_on_sc/ancient_tools

DENVER – Landscapers were digging a hole for a fish pond in the front yard of a Boulder home last May when they heard a "chink" that didn't sound right. Just some lost tools. Some 13,000-year-old lost tools. They had stumbled onto a cache of more than 83 ancient tools buried by the Clovis people — ice age hunter-gatherers who remain a puzzle to anthropologists.

The home's owner, Patrick Mahaffy, thought they were only a century or two old before contacting researchers at the University of Colorado-Boulder.

"My jaw just dropped," said CU anthropologist Douglas Bamforth, who is leading a study of the find. "Boulder is a densely populated area. And in the midst of all that to find this cache."

The cache is one of only a handful of Clovis-age artifacts uncovered in North America, said Bamforth.

The tools reveal an unexpected level of sophistication, Bamforth said, describing the design as "unnecessarily complicated," artistic and utilitarian at the same time.

What researchers found on the tools also was significant. Biochemical analysis of blood and other protein residue revealed the tools were used to butcher camels, horses, sheep and bears. That proves that the Clovis people ate more than just woolly mammoth meat for dinner, something scientists were unable to confirm before.

"A window opens up into this incredibly remote way of life that we normally can't see much of," Bamforth said.

The cache was buried 18 inches deep and was packed into a hole the size of a large shoe box. The tools were most likely wrapped in a skin that deteriorated over time, Mahaffy said.

"The kind of stone that's present — the kind that flakes to a good sharp edge — isn't widely available in this part of Colorado. It looks like they were storing material because they knew they would need it later," said Bamforth.

Bamforth believes the tools had been untouched since the owners placed them there for storage.

Mahaffy's Clovis cache is one of only two that have been analyzed for protein residue from ice age animals, Bamforth said. Mahaffy paid for the analysis by California State University in Bakersfield.

A biotech entrepreneur, Mahaffy is familiar with the process. He is the former president and chief executive officer of Boulder-based Pharmion Corp., acquired by Celgene Corp. for nearly $3 billion in 2007.

Mahaffy wants to donate most of the tools to a museum but plans to rebury a few of them in his yard.

"These tools have been associated with these people and this land for 13,000 years," he said. "I would like some of these tools to stay where they belong."

i didn't realize camels were indigenous to n america.  i can remember finding arrowheads in my parents backyard when we would plant our garden, but this must have been very exciting.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: 13,000-year-old tools unearthed at Colorado home
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:53:57 AM »
Agreed!  Very cool find, seems we're learning alot about so called "Clovis" man lately.  Watched a good show not too long about them and the controversy over who was here first, I think it was on History channel, but not sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clovis_culture
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:47:59 AM »
I didn't think horses were indigenous either.  No mentioned of giant sloth?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:48:23 AM »
Camels? That's wierd...

Funny story, ok, not really funny. A friend of mine found a Clovis style point here in CT. Apparently there were some kind of tradelines established from here to at least Colorado. That's the only explanation for the find.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 08:56:54 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age

I think that the animals Horses and Camels evolved from were found in North America, but during the ice age were likely pushed out to warmer climes.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 10:22:04 AM »
The Ultimate Leader in those days declared tools to be illegal and they must be turned in for a buy back getting one giant sloth pelt for one tool.

Some of the smarter Clovis people buried their tools in order to save them from confiscation.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:29:59 AM »
The best thing about stone tools is that you can bury them anywhere and...they'll be perfectly alright when you dig them up. :lol:

I have an obsidian knife. Thing is frighteningly sharp. Molecular edge FTW...

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 11:21:01 AM »
The best thing about stone tools is that you can bury them anywhere and...they'll be perfectly alright when you dig them up

you know, it's funny and all, but The Great Cheapening does leave one wondering what will be left of our culture in the far future. I was just thinking about this the other day when I bought an LP from the 50s and it looked and sounded absolutely pristine. I would expect properly-stored vinyl records to last for centuries..there aren't any CDs older than 25 years to test, and besides, CDs are obsolete now anyways. I wonder how long data stays recoverable on a hard drive? People by-and-large stopped making photographic negatives a few years ago. A few decades ago, they still built big stone buildings. Not really anymore. And so on.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »
you know, it's funny and all, but The Great Cheapening does leave one wondering what will be left of our culture in the far future. I was just thinking about this the other day when I bought an LP from the 50s and it looked and sounded absolutely pristine. I would expect properly-stored vinyl records to last for centuries..there aren't any CDs older than 25 years to test, and besides, CDs are obsolete now anyways. I wonder how long data stays recoverable on a hard drive? People by-and-large stopped making photographic negatives a few years ago. A few decades ago, they still built big stone buildings. Not really anymore. And so on.

There was a good article in Popular Mechanics about the data permanence in the digital age.  It had some great examples from the Middle Ages to today.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 11:27:36 AM »
CDs will last about a thousand years under ideal conditions before the ink migrates through the disc to ruin the data. An unprinted CD would likely last much longer.

Also, that whole "what will be left" idea supposes a complete fall of civilization. Otherwise, we'll just keep going, and of course someone a thousand years from now will know what the CD is...there will be a few in the Smithsonian, as well as Smithsonian Lunar, Smithsonian Mars and Smithsonian Titan, perhaps, and all the data of everything we've created will be available at a touch...or a thought, even. =)

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 11:34:58 AM »
you mean like the data from early NASA missions, the stuff that's on paper tape and unreadable?

Plenty other examples of similar issues exist as well.  The point is, unless you're diligent about migrating data to new formats as old ones start to become obsolete, you end up with data on orphaned systems. 

How many times have people found old floppy disks they could no longer read?  I found some with pics I took over a decade ago back when Kodak would scan pics you had developed at the time of developing (when digital cameras were crap and scanners were expensive).  If I found them a year later, I wouldn't have any way to read them because I got rid of my last floppy capable computer not much later.  I didn't know I had those disks still until I accidentally found them.  I certainly don't have the pics.  The negatives are probably with all of my other negatives, but we're talking thousands of not particularly well organized images.

Chris

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 11:51:27 AM »
you mean like the data from early NASA missions, the stuff that's on paper tape and unreadable?

Plenty other examples of similar issues exist as well.  The point is, unless you're diligent about migrating data to new formats as old ones start to become obsolete, you end up with data on orphaned systems. 

How many times have people found old floppy disks they could no longer read?  I found some with pics I took over a decade ago back when Kodak would scan pics you had developed at the time of developing (when digital cameras were crap and scanners were expensive).  If I found them a year later, I wouldn't have any way to read them because I got rid of my last floppy capable computer not much later.  I didn't know I had those disks still until I accidentally found them.  I certainly don't have the pics.  The negatives are probably with all of my other negatives, but we're talking thousands of not particularly well organized images.

Chris

This is true, but as the information era has progressed, people, even in independent groups, have started to realize that data needs to be preserved in universal formats.

Thus, things like Project Gutenberg, which is not in any proprietary format.

Also, there ARE freeware readers for old data developed by people who want to preserve it. I can plug a USB drive into my Macbook, get ancient Atariwriter files off a 5.25" disk from 1986, and import the text into Word. I have. If it exists, someone has written an emulation routine to translate the data, it seems. Not only the data, but I can bring up a virtual Apple II, Atari 800XL, C-64, Atari ST, or even wierd UK computers and run the original programs as if it was the original machine. You want those old images off the disks, you can get a USB 5.25" or 3.5" floppy drive and read them, right into Windows, or if proprietary, with the use of an emulator.

I also have emulators that can play the decoded ROM contents from games made in 1977. Preservation of old media has become a wide effort now, by people all over the world.

There's even an effort to encode as many Edison cylinders to pure digital as possible before they crumble.

(Correction, the 5.25" external I had was a mix of an old drive and a plug-in USB controller. The external 3.5" floppy is a single USB device that Western Digital made, and you can still get them on eBay...)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:00:12 PM by Manedwolf »

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 05:30:31 PM »
I was wondering where I left those...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 11:02:55 PM »
Hate to throw cold water on the fun, but just wait till the state of Colorado confiscates the house and property as a national treasure.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Lee

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 11:14:19 PM »
Are you telling me that it was warm enough for camels to live in Colorado?  CO2 emissions must have been really high back then. The great leader must have banned weapons/tools and industry.   

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »
Are you telling me that it was warm enough for camels to live in Colorado?  CO2 emissions must have been really high back then. The great leader must have banned weapons/tools and industry.   

13,000 years is a long time.  It is likely that that particular species of camel wasn't quite as heat-adapted as the modern species.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 11:40:10 PM »
It was my understanding that the horse & camel in N America were hunted to extinction.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54:04 PM »
A thread about stone tools, and you lot start talking about floppy disks and such.  :lol:  Only on APS.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Iain

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 04:42:34 AM »
More than twice as old as the world?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 06:42:02 AM »
Inquiring minds want to know more.

What brand of tool did the Clovis-age folks prefer:

Craftsman, Snap-on, Stanley???

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 07:01:26 AM »

this was analysis of the blood found on the tools.  perhaps they were great travelers, and found camels elsewhere?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 07:54:42 AM »
he is going to rebury some of the tools?
that stinks!
I told some libs that early Americans ( their beloved "native americans" )
hunted many large animals into extinction, they couldn't accept it because they look at history through
the politically correct glasses of today's culture.
Their perception of native Americans is a a bunch of hippies smoking marijuana in peace
pipes who said thank you to one Bison who was so overcome with joy ( for the thanks )
he jumped into the campfire and cooked himself for their benefit.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 09:24:24 AM »
one theory of the human migration plan is that we followed the herds a good while after the bridge was available

As the humans reached the north american land mass and travelled down the valleys,
they met herds that had not encountered people

and ate them

there were many species that did not survive the predation
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 03:00:15 AM »
also, they could have traveled from the south pacific and from Eygypt as well as Vikings and earlier
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 08:18:28 AM »
Inquiring minds want to know more.

What brand of tool did the Clovis-age folks prefer:

Craftsman, Snap-on, Stanley???

Craftsman.....of course, back then, Craftsman and Kenmore were GOOD brands....not like today....  :mad:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.