Author Topic: Income tax refund burns hole in pocket.......  (Read 3005 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Income tax refund burns hole in pocket.......
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:32:50 PM »
So I received a bigger income tax refund than I thought.  Since I already have no debt other than the mortgage, have lots of money in the savings account, two motorcycles and a full gun safe, what to do with it?

So I spent about half of it to buy a titanium hardtail mountain bike: the Bikes Direct Fantom Pro Ti.  I love my FS MTB, but it is a bit of a pig when it comes to climbing the trails around here.  And a titanium MTB would complement the IF titanium Crown Jewel road bike.  So a little bit of pointing and clicking later, it should be here by next Friday. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Income tax refund burns hole in pocket.......
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:15:43 PM »
Quote from: MillCreek
IF titanium Crown Jewel road bike
I hate you.

A guy I ride with has one.  Along with 2-3 IF mtn bikes (in addition to the two he's busted).  I hate him too.  Though, he does ride and race the crap out of his.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:24:07 PM »
^^^^ Chris, you will hate me more when you learn that I got the IF from eBay.  As it turns out, the person for whom it was custom made was very close to my measurements.  So with the custom paint job, wheels and some other options, I got a $ 7000 bike at retail for $ 2500.  I like to carry my titanium Taurus 651 on it for the sheet titaniumness.  Or would that be titaniumosity?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:27:10 PM by MillCreek »

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 08:57:59 PM »
nice.  Can't beat that. 

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:52:50 PM »
Bastard!

You could always buy me a new X bike with the other half of that refund.... :P
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »
I would have gone for another gun safe to start filling up, but bicycles aren't really my thing... A used dual sport to thrash around though, that might have done it, too... =D

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:11:48 PM »
^^^^ Chris, you will hate me more when you learn that I got the IF from eBay.  As it turns out, the person for whom it was custom made was very close to my measurements.  So with the custom paint job, wheels and some other options, I got a $ 7000 bike at retail for $ 2500.  I like to carry my titanium Taurus 651 on it for the sheet titaniumness.  Or would that be titaniumosity?

[img=http://www.amazon.com/Light-My-Fire-Titanium-Spork/dp/B001E7S5BO]http://Eat lunch with this, then get back to us on your titaniuminanity.[/img]  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:34:27 PM »
I actually have a titanium spork that I got a couple of years ago at REI.  What I really need is a pair of titanium chopsticks by Alan Folts.  I wish he would make some more.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 10:36:04 PM »
Ya know, you break enough bones, and they'll fill you chock full of titanium.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

P5 Guy

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 12:19:00 PM »
I hate big income tax returns >:D
That means I gave our greedy Uncle Sam too much of my hard earned fruit to rot in his warehouse. I'd much rather wait it out 'til April 15th and send him a check. But thats just me, I'd rather not send them anything, they are just going to find new and creative ways to waste it anyway.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »
Spnet normal refund paying for new house expenses.  Now I am waiting for the amended return to be processed so I can spend the $8000 credit for buying said new house.  Need a vehicle first and then replace the smoker someone stole at the old place and other goodies.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 10:07:22 PM »
I have no idea how I managed to get such a big tax refund this year.  But, given how horrible 2009 was to our finances, most of that is going straight into the emergency fund.  But, since there's more than enough to get that fund to where we're somewhat comfortable again, a bit is going to be held back from that to buy a CZ 452 Varmint, plus optics and a couple other goodies will be joining the stable. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »
I got a $ 7000 bike at retail for $ 2500.
My first car - purchased new - cost less than $7k.

And there are people (other than Lance Armstrong) who are willing to pay that kind of money for . . . a bicycle:facepalm:

I think maybe I'll start assembling $2000 skateboards in my garage . . . hang the "Extreme Tactical" logo on them, and advertise on Ebay . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »
1. No new cars that I am aware of sell for $7k, let alone less. Inflation man.

2. While I would not personally pay that much, these fancy-dan TI bikes are in fact costly to produce. It's not a Schwinn with a fancy paint job.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 12:46:53 PM »
My tax return is paying off all my plastic...

... and getting me an 1100 pound Fort Knox gun safe.  Just the DOOR is 300+ pounds. =D

I do have a strong urge to spend the last little bit on either a CZ-75 PCR or a White Oak upper for my AR.  We'll see.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 01:01:06 PM »
I hate big income tax returns >
That means I gave our greedy Uncle Sam too much of my hard earned fruit to rot in his warehouse.
At 0% interest . . . your Uncle thanks everyone thoughtful enough to do so.

My own refund is around $300 . . . means I planned fairly well, as I try to end up about "even" at the end of the year.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 01:13:51 PM »

And there are people (other than Lance Armstrong) who are willing to pay that kind of money for . . . a bicycle:facepalm:

I think maybe I'll start assembling $2000 skateboards in my garage . . . hang the "Extreme Tactical" logo on them, and advertise on Ebay . . .

Much like any hobby, it is astonishing what some people choose to buy in support of it.  Kind of like the people who buy Canon white lenses to take vacation snapshots or pictures of the dog, or a fully customized 1911 to plink at tin cans.  My neighbor has this gorgeous 26" sailboat at a local marina, and he says he has been out on it twice in the last year for a total of about five hours.  I know that the moorage alone is about $ 215/month. 

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 01:15:28 PM »
At 0% interest . . . your Uncle thanks everyone thoughtful enough to do so.

My own refund is around $300 . . . means I planned fairly well, as I try to end up about "even" at the end of the year.

Mine was about $1800 this year due to some changing circumstances I did not account for early enough, I have since adjusted my withholding so that it will come out closer to even next year.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »
And there are people (other than Lance Armstrong) who are willing to pay that kind of money for . . . a bicycle?  :facepalm:

Like Balog said, these aren't the Schwinns you grew up with.  They're as much related to a regular bike as Bogie's railgun is to bubba's thutty-thutty.  My friend's Ti IF race bike weighs a bit more than half what my steel touring bike weighs (not counting fenders, saddlebags, etc).  It also handles like it's on rails and responds to rider input like it was grafted to his body.

http://www.ifbikes.com/OurBikes/Road/Ti_Crown_Jewel/

Would I ever spend that much on a bike?  Probably not.  The type of riding I do doesn't demand it, nor would it even benefit from such a rig.

Much like any hobby, it is astonishing what some people choose to buy in support of it.  Kind of like the people who buy Canon white lenses to take vacation snapshots or pictures of the dog, or a fully customized 1911 to plink at tin cans.  My neighbor has this gorgeous 26" sailboat at a local marina, and he says he has been out on it twice in the last year for a total of about five hours.  I know that the moorage alone is about $ 215/month. 

This too.

I'll also point out Millcreek's price is theft.  There are many "made in Tawain or China" production bikes that cost nearly that much.  I have about 2k in my touring rig and I assembled it myself.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 01:25:36 PM »

Wow, so did mine. A 1986 Mazda pickup that I bought new off the lot in September 1985.  I am still driving it today.  I was recently purging some old paperwork and found the receipt for the truck: $ 6588 to include purchase, tax and license. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:35:17 PM by MillCreek »

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 01:35:18 PM »

=D   ;)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 02:11:45 PM »
^^^^ Now that would be another great hobby: wooden models of ships and boats!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 11:24:12 PM »
My Fantom Pro Ti arrived today.  This frame is a thing of beauty, with the welds and the brushed titanium frame.  I cannot believe how it weighs as light as a feather, compared to my full suspension MTB.  I am going to become a hill-climbing demon. 

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2010, 08:27:03 AM »

I have that exact sailboat,

I bought it at the Natty Geo company store sale for 10 bucks
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"