Author Topic: Body Found in Public Pool 2 Days After Drowning  (Read 7509 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Body Found in Public Pool 2 Days After Drowning
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »
Sounds like some pool workers and health/safety inspectors are going to get some "reeducation".....

....either that, or all the public pools in town get shut down until December while the city "investigates" the problem and "disenfranchises" all the inner-city youth....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 09:42:33 AM »
I read that a police dive team did some tests and that the diver disappeared at ~3.5-4' depth. I saw a photo of the actual pool as well and it was really cloudy, almost like silt laden water.

If the body was stuck in some corner of the deep end, I could actually now see how it might have been missed by swimmers. Anyone swimming underwater (and it's usually just kids that swim around the bottom of the deep end in public pools from what I remember from my kid-hood) might have only made out another blurry person, or even if they brushed against her, might have simply thought it was someone else swimming underwater.

The other curiosity in this is that she apparently had five kids. How did no one report her missing?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 09:55:23 AM »
I read that a police dive team did some tests and that the diver disappeared at ~3.5-4' depth. I saw a photo of the actual pool as well and it was really cloudy, almost like silt laden water.

If the body was stuck in some corner of the deep end, I could actually now see how it might have been missed by swimmers. Anyone swimming underwater (and it's usually just kids that swim around the bottom of the deep end in public pools from what I remember from my kid-hood) might have only made out another blurry person, or even if they brushed against her, might have simply thought it was someone else swimming underwater.

The other curiosity in this is that she apparently had five kids. How did no one report her missing?

Also, if it was in the vicinity of the slide, or diving boards, there may have been no swimming allowed in that section.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »
There's another issue that may yet be brought up.

A few years ago, a young girl was playing in a pool and got caught by the suction of the filter inlet on the bottom. It was really ugly. She didn't just drown -- she basically sat on the inlet, and the suction eviscerated her on the spot. As a result, regulations for new pools have been changed, and all newly-constructed pools have to have dual inlets separated by at least three (?) feet, or some other way of limiting the amount of suction at the drain inlet(s).

In my state, I'm pretty certain that public pools are supposed to have been retrofitted. But I don't live in Massachusetts. And even if the law requires it in MA, I'm sure Fall River is broke and didn't retrofit, and I'm sure the state doesn't have people traveling around to find out if all pools have been retrofitted.

From the videos, it looks like the slide was one of the enclosed tube type slides, so she almost certainly went down it sitting or semi-reclined, and hit the water rump-first in a more or less sitting position. Pool drains/inlets are usually located in the deepest part of the pool. If she went down in that position, it's possible that her rump settled on the suction inlet, and that she was basically trapped by the suction and couldn't resurface.

I worked for a pool filter manufacturer when I was in college. One summer I was in the factory, the next summer I did on-site service. Water as cloudy as what I saw in the videos would be a definite FAIL in the filter department. I'd guess the agency operating the pool never serviced the filter or backwashed it. They probably just checked the chlorine level once or twice a day and figured they had done all that needed to be done. Maybe not even that, because an adequate level of chlorine should keep the water fairly clear unless there's actual dirt (silt or mud) in it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:31:47 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design