Author Topic: Royal Saudi Navy vs. Iranian Navy... could happen?  (Read 9995 times)

Hutch

• friend
Royal Saudi Navy vs. Iranian Navy... could happen?
« on: April 18, 2015, 09:57:47 AM »
I saw this:
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/239295-us-officials-concerned-about-iranian-convoy-headed-towards-yemen
indicating that the Iranians are like to try to run a Saudi blockade to aid ethnic Shia in the Houthi faction in Ongoing Unpleasantness in Yemen.  The article describes variously "an armada" and a "flotilla" headed that way, indicating that some ships may be armed.  The article also indicates that an Iranian destroyer has arrived on station to conduct anti-piracy patrols.

A quick search informs me that the RSN has a half dozen or so frigates and an equal (or so) number of corvettes, split between Red Sea and Persian Gulf bases.  I will return to this after researching the Iranian OrBat.

What're the odds being offered on the likelihood of blows being traded, and the outcome of such action?  Do I recall correctly that the I's have a Kilo-class available?  More in a bit.

ETA:  The Iranians have a destroyer because one of their mullahs decided to call a frigate a destroyer.  Public domain information says the have three Kilo subs.  My vast experience (playing hours and hours of Harpoon in the '90's) leads me to believe that, should the subs be deployed and aggressively managed, the RSN will be routed with great loss.  Not sure of the geopolitical consequences.  Unless the USN has standing orders and a pre-existing ROE, it's unlikely that the USN could intervene in a timely and effective manner.  Hello, $100/bbl oil.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

HankB

• friend
Re: Royal Saudi Navy vs. Iranian Navy... could happen?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »
. . . Unless the USN has standing orders and a pre-existing ROE, it's unlikely that the USN could intervene in a timely and effective manner . . .
Given our current POTUS, it wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if the USN were ordered to intervene on behalf of the Iranians.

After all, there were several reports (admittedly, without "official" confirmation) that the USAF would have been ordered to fire on IDF forces if they were to attempt a strike at Iranian nuclear facilities.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

agricola

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
I especially like the comment from your defence secretary:

“That's good for the people of Yemen, first and foremost. It's good for Saudi Arabia that doesn't need this on its southern border.  And … it's good for us, among other reasons, because of AQAP's presence in Yemen. But for that to occur, it'll require more than military action,” he added.

The US is presently (albeit at a bit of a remove) allied with AQAP in the fight against the Houthis, by the way.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 03:22:56 PM »
"AQAP"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 03:26:06 PM »
"AQAP"?

I'm guessing Al Qaeda Arabian Peninsula
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 04:08:44 PM »
Ya see, it's kinda like the definition of a weed, viz: a plant growing where it's not wanted.  So,

Bloodthirsty Sunni thugs fighting bloodthirsty Shia in Yemen, Sunni = good guy (well, for restricted values of good). 

Bloodthirsty Sunni thugs fighting bloodthirsty Shia in Iraq, Shia = good guy (well, for restricted values of good)

Bloodthirsty Sunni thugs fighting bloodthirsty Shia in Syria, well, it's complicated.

"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 08:48:14 PM »
So shia and sunni might kill eachother in a spectacular naval battle? I call that a win.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 09:33:52 PM »
Release the Kraken!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 01:00:56 AM »
"When the communists Sunnis show up to protest the nazis Shi'ites, you're supposed to pray for an asteroid, not pick a favourite."

---- with apologies to Kate McMillan

"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 01:17:40 AM »
Release the Kraken!

"Release the Kraken!â„¢"  I'm with Larry!!!!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 04:21:43 PM »
As glorious as the idea of the Saudis and Iranians destroying each other in an epic naval battle sounds (With the Kracken eating the survivors), I highly doubt it will happen.

Given the Muslim "Insha Allah" aiming method, the sea creatures have more to fear from such a fight then the actual participants....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
As glorious as the idea of the Saudis and Iranians destroying each other in an epic naval battle sounds (With the Kracken eating the survivors), I highly doubt it will happen.

Given the Muslim "Insha Allah" aiming method, the sea creatures have more to fear from such a fight then the actual participants....

I thought they were the experts at maths and sciences and preserved them for all of mankind?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 04:26:52 PM »
I thought they were the experts at maths and sciences and preserved them for all of mankind?

They were, right until around the 7 century CE.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 06:17:52 PM »
They were, right until around the 7 century CE.

:laugh:
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 06:28:25 PM »
It appears as if the Theodore Roosevelt will be on-station there soon.  Do we have an effective CVBG there now?  My google-fu is week.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 06:45:42 PM »
Soooo..... I have sailed around the Persian Gulf and dealt with vessels of both those navies several times now.  To put it nicely, an Iranian-Saudi navel engagement would need to be scored by yakity sax.  If the Saudi's could actually get their crap underway the Iranian's would definitely be able to shoot at it. Until their weapons fell off the mounts and overboard. (Yep, saw that happen once).

These are not highly trained, professional mariners we are discussing here.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 07:56:16 PM »
Soooo..... I have sailed around the Persian Gulf and dealt with vessels of both those navies several times now.  To put it nicely, an Iranian-Saudi navel engagement would need to be scored by yakity sax.  If the Saudi's could actually get their crap underway the Iranian's would definitely be able to shoot at it. Until their weapons fell off the mounts and overboard. (Yep, saw that happen once).

These are not highly trained, professional mariners we are discussing here.
Soooo.

Boy scouts in some canoes with .22's should be able to solve the problem?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 08:39:27 PM »
Somali pirates could rout the Saudi Royal Navy

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 09:16:33 PM »
Somali pirates could rout the Saudi Royal Navy

Or one neckbeard with a Mosin...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 09:31:40 PM »
I don't doubt that the Iranian Navy is not first world stuff. but due to our pansy ass ROE, neither are we. I've been overflown by an Iranian P-3 no one knew was there until the captain got a visual from the bridge wig on his smoke break, watched missile boats put casually between a CVN(the CVN-71 in question no less) and its CG guard dog. Been in bad breath distance of a frigate in a straits transit. If they decided to do something dumb yes they would lose, yes we would be the first one to get hurt badly. And I'm pretty sure every Iranian pilot has an aim for the ass note on CVN-71 due to its less than Nimitz set of point defenses.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 10:44:10 PM »
I don't doubt that the Iranian Navy is not first world stuff. but due to our pansy ass ROE, neither are we. I've been overflown by an Iranian P-3 no one knew was there until the captain got a visual from the bridge wig on his smoke break, watched missile boats put casually between a CVN(the CVN-71 in question no less) and its CG guard dog. Been in bad breath distance of a frigate in a straits transit. If they decided to do something dumb yes they would lose, yes we would be the first one to get hurt badly. And I'm pretty sure every Iranian pilot has an aim for the ass note on CVN-71 due to its less than Nimitz set of point defenses.

Any reason why the TR got hosed on defensive armament?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 11:08:01 PM »
Yeah, we backed over top of the Leyte Gulf one night and knocked off CIWS mount on the port stern. Never replaced. And after that I have never assumed that someone fell asleep and accidentally set off an alarm at 0200. Real fun when you're in the Persian Gulf and that's the chem alarm.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 05:02:32 AM »
It appears as if the Theodore Roosevelt will be on-station there soon.  Do we have an effective CVBG there now?  My google-fu is week.

I hope they are on station now, we left. :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 12:25:01 PM »
Anytime I hear we are deploying any military forces, I worry about the ROE's. 

I heard quite a while back the Iranians have a whole bunch of shore based anti-ship missiles.  Anyone else heard of that?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2015, 12:29:46 PM »
Crap,  can't find the bookmark.  Something about them having a handful of Chinese Silkworm/Sunburn missiles.  Damnit,  I had an informative article on that.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.