Author Topic: The Boys  (Read 3687 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
The Boys
« on: July 28, 2019, 07:53:23 AM »
Well...since we're talking Netlix etc

The Boys on Prime.  It's super heroes, but since people are aholes...it's what superheros really would be like in this day and age.  It's irreverent, inappropriate, and TVMA is probably a little bit of a low rating for it lol
Worth watching.  I'm 4 episodes in and highly entertained. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: The Boys
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 10:19:51 AM »
I thought that wasn't coming out until September! Yay! I have something to binge!

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 02:28:11 PM »
Yup.  Worth watching.  I watched the pilot yesterday, haven't seen any beyond that, but definitely what the "superhero" genre needs to regain relevance and for an offering to stand out, now that the MCU cycle is complete.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 02:34:51 PM »
It may be entertaining but, if it portrays superheroes as jerks, what kind of message is it conveying to kids? I can't help thinking this is another effort to undermine any sense of decency and responsibility in the next generation(s) or the American populace. In short -- it's brainwashing.

I'm old enough to remember the original Superman television series, with George Reeves as Superman. Even though he was an extraterrestrial (the show never called him that), the opening for each show made it expressly clear that Superman supported "Truth, Justice, and the American way." They made Superman someone that kids could look up to. They couldn't aspire to having super powers (well, they could aspire all they wanted, but they learned that using a bath towel as a cape doesn't mean you can fly), but they could aspire to being decent human beings.

The Lone Ranger was the same way. Another hero whose real identity was known only to a very few people, and who provided an example for kids to look up to and aspire to emulate. Clayton Moore, the actor who played the Lone Ranger for most of the show's run, spent the left of his life touring the country and promoting "the Ranger's Code" (or maybe it was "the Ranger's Creed") to young audiences.

Portraying superheroes as jerks may appear to be just amusement, but it may also be a deliberate attempt to isolate kids from positive role models.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 02:53:01 PM »
Lighten up, Francis.  It is just a TV show.

Violent video games don't make kids violent.  Rap music doesn't make kids gangsters.  Rainbows aren't making kids gay.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 03:01:09 PM »

I'm old enough to remember the original Superman television series, with George Reeves as Superman. Even though he was an extraterrestrial (the show never called him that), the opening for each show made it expressly clear that Superman supported "Truth, Justice, and the American way." They made Superman someone that kids could look up to. They couldn't aspire to having super powers (well, they could aspire all they wanted, but they learned that using a bath towel as a cape doesn't mean you can fly), but they could aspire to being decent human beings.

Superman is an illegal alien. Just saying
Think Wonder Woman is too.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 03:01:49 PM »

That doesn't in any way invalidate my hypothesis.

Violent video games don't make kids violent.  Rap music doesn't make kids gangsters.

I respectfully disagree.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2019, 03:09:30 PM »
Yeah, so Hawkmoon? The anti hero has been a thing in the comic book world for a good long time now and even Superman has gone bad several times over the decades. This is NOT new territory for comic books and hasn't been... well, I'm not sure it's ever been really new.

Superhero's have always been flawed, in some form or another, or at least the iconic ones have. Which is why they are iconic.

That said, should you prefer more wholesome comic book hero's, I'd stay away from The Punisher and The Watchmen as well.

Oh, and one more thing... Comic books aren't just for kids anymore. That's also been a thing for a good long while now. The Boys wasn't written for kids and the fact that it's not appropriate for young children isn't really a factor in this equation.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »
Oh, and I'll add in two recommendations of my own.

Another Amazon Prime gem, Good Omens. Excellent.

And on Netflix, to continue the comic book theme, Umbrella Academy.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 03:48:27 PM »
It may be entertaining but, if it portrays superheroes as jerks, what kind of message is it conveying to kids? I can't help thinking this is another effort to undermine any sense of decency and responsibility in the next generation(s) or the American populace. In short -- it's brainwashing.

The Lone Ranger was the same way. Another hero whose real identity was known only to a very few people, and who provided an example for kids to look up to and aspire to emulate. Clayton Moore, the actor who played the Lone Ranger for most of the show's run, spent the left of his life touring the country and promoting "the Ranger's Code" (or maybe it was "the Ranger's Creed") to young audiences.

Portraying superheroes as jerks may appear to be just amusement, but it may also be a deliberate attempt to isolate kids from positive role models.

Absolutely NOT a kids show.

I would not recommend to allow anyone under 15 to watch it.

Very first episode has a sexual quid-pro-quo event.  It's astonishingly vulgar because it's coming from a super hero, onto another superhero.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2019, 03:51:52 PM »
As far as superheros being jerks isn't Tony Stark (Ironman) pretty much a jerk?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:08:48 PM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2019, 04:26:12 PM »
As far as superheros being jerks isn't Tony Stark (Ironman) pretty much a jerk?

But he's a mostly benign jerk, and his mistakes that cost others any heartache at all take a toll on his character's evolution.

He doesn't date-rape.  He doesn't quid-pro-quo.  The whole Sekovia thing where he accidentally killed thousands of people caused him to give up his autonomy in the Civil War era.

Watch this show.  This is superheroes acting like the worst types you see in the NFL or NBA.  Honestly, pro sports has a lot of parallels to the superhero "business" as portrayed in this show.
--Lysander Spooner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 05:40:18 PM »
Just watched the first one.  I thought it was pretty good.

Hawkmoon - I normally would agree with you on liking superheroes, heroes, and general white hats to be good guys. This show is not about that. I think the closest comparison might be, if you ever saw the movie "The Running Man", that these superheroes are like the guys that chased Arnold. You're rooting for the Running Man here.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2019, 07:07:38 PM »
I thought I read that in the comics, Superman renounced his (honorary?) US citizenship in the past few years, mouthing various SJW platitudes in the process . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2019, 08:53:52 PM »
I am several episodes in.  I like the show.  Very entertaining. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 09:05:24 PM »
As far as superheroes being white hats, they are not and never were gods.  They are just people with all the flaws that brings.  Power corrupts.  It would corrupt them also.  Besides, as noted, this show is certainly not for kids.  There is extreme violence and gore as well as some other stuff. 

Comics for little kids, but they are just a fantasy.  IMO, it is better to teach older kids or adults something closer to reality than some "White Hat" fantasy.  As much crap as the comic book writers have put out, I am not sure I would want my kids reading the stuff these days. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 09:29:43 PM »
Oh, and I'll add in two recommendations of my own.

Another Amazon Prime gem, Good Omens. Excellent.

And on Netflix, to continue the comic book theme, Umbrella Academy.

That was really fun, but I feel compelled to mention that as fun as it is, the book is better. If you like irreverent fiction, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman did a great job.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2019, 09:44:10 AM »

Violent video games don't make kids violent.  Rap music doesn't make kids gangsters.  Rainbows aren't making kids gay.

I don't know anything about it, or have any comments on the show, but propaganda absolutely does work, for good or for ill.

Businesses spend billions of dollars running commercials on TV.  They do this because it influences the behavior of the viewers.

Now, is it likely that the shows themselves have no influence on the behavior of the viewers, when the ads do?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 10:16:55 AM »

Considering it’s TVMA what kind of ahole lets their kids watch it?  Instead of crumudgeningly going off half cocked, try reading the whole OP where I mention that it’s TVMA?
 ;/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 12:52:51 PM »
Considering it’s TVMA what kind of ahole lets their kids watch it?  Instead of crumudgeningly going off half cocked, try reading the whole OP where I mention that it’s TVMA?

Being a curmudgeon is a calling, not a profession. It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 01:26:29 PM »
Being a curmudgeon is a calling, not a profession. It's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.
=D

I thought I would sit down and watch the last couple episodes last night and realized I had finished it the night before.  Now I get to wait for season 2.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »
As far as superheroes being white hats, they are not and never were gods.  They are just people with all the flaws that brings.  Power corrupts.  It would corrupt them also.  Besides, as noted, this show is certainly not for kids.  There is extreme violence and gore as well as some other stuff. 

Comics for little kids, but they are just a fantasy.  IMO, it is better to teach older kids or adults something closer to reality than some "White Hat" fantasy.  As much crap as the comic book writers have put out, I am not sure I would want my kids reading the stuff these days. 

Well put.
JD

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 02:51:35 PM »

:shrug:

If I had kids, especially boys, I would much rather see them aspire to white hat heroism than to black hat depravity.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 03:02:55 PM »
:shrug:

If I had kids, especially boys, I would much rather see them aspire to white hat heroism than to black hat depravity.

What part of THIS SHOW ISN'T FOR *expletive deleted*ing CHILDREN do you not get?
JD

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 03:36:49 PM »
What part of THIS SHOW ISN'T FOR *expletive deleted*ing CHILDREN do you not get?

I was responding to MechAg94, not to you. What part of that do YOU not get?