Author Topic: The death spiral continues...  (Read 876 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The death spiral continues...
« on: August 08, 2019, 09:10:42 AM »
Like the old Chinese execution of Death by a Thousand Cuts, only this is Death by a Thousand Closings...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sears-kmart-store-closings-list-030519645.html

Here's the list of the stores that are closing: https://searsholdings.com/docs/080619_store_closing_list.pdf

I just don't understand how the Sears near me at the Fair Oaks mall still survives...

Edit in: oops... I was wrong... The Sears at the Fair Oaks mall has closed as of last year. I completely missed that. Not to say that I'm surprised...

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: The death spiral continues...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 09:17:15 AM »
AH! Looks like mine is finally closing. I was surprised it didn't make the last round of cuts.

We've been in there many times. Can't remember the last time I bought something though. Most things are overpriced and the store is pretty empty.

Amusingly, this is while I've noticed a significant uptick in the numbers of people visiting the local mall. OTHER stores seem to be doing well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 10:04:49 AM »
The one a mile from me is not on that list.  I have no idea why.  The auto shop portion closed down 5 years ago, and I never see more than 30 cars in the entire parking lot.  I went in a couple months ago for the first time in at least ten years, to buy a refrigerator.  I had the entire store to myself.  The building is hideous, and given its prime location, the land could be put to much better use.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:24:10 AM »
There was a time when you could order a house from a Sears catalog and then fill it from the same catalog.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 12:08:07 PM »
With its nationwide sales, service, and distribution network already in place along with a thriving mail order business, Sears was in a prime position to fill the new internet sales slot - but they didn't even try. That slot is now held by a little company called Amazon.

A succession of incompetent and - IMHO - downright corrupt leaders brought down this iconic department store.

I'm just outside Austin, TX; AFAIK the nearest surviving Sears store is down around San Antonio; all the local ones were shuttered. (There may be a "hometown" store a bit closer.)

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 12:11:15 PM »
We are losing one locally. That will leave us with one as an anchor in a mall. I am not sure how they stay alive, every time I go in there it is like I am one of 2 or 3 customers.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »
There was a time when you could order a house from a Sears catalog and then fill it from the same catalog.

There was time when you could walk into a store and buy opium, dynamite, whiskey, and a gun and no one batted an eye, either.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 01:34:44 PM »
The other amazing thing that I got from this is that there are still KMart stores around to be closed. Wow!
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 01:47:34 PM »
There was time when you could walk into a store and buy opium, dynamite, whiskey, and a gun and no one batted an eye, either.

Well, three out of four is not bad for a personal best. ;)

bob

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 01:52:30 PM »
Well, three out of four is not bad for a personal best. ;)
Were they out of whiskey?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 04:30:23 PM »
They really tightened up on dynamite sales after 9/11, even though dynamite wasn't involved.

I haven't been fishing since.   :'(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 05:18:21 PM »
I checked.  Closest is a good hour away.  Many in towards Chicago.   Euuuu.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 05:43:49 PM »
Technology notwithstanding....The MBA's drones coming out of business schools around 30 years ago had the bright idea that people, especially executives, should not be career employees of companies.  They spread their incompetent notion and infected the country.  So now all of the nitwits who were destroying companies just started moving around wrecking everything they touched while getting themselves wondermous golden parachutes.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 05:47:32 PM »
Technology notwithstanding....The MBA's drones coming out of business schools around 30 years ago had the bright idea that people, especially executives, should not be career employees of companies.  They spread their incompetent notion and infected the country.  So now all of the nitwits who were destroying companies just started moving around wrecking everything they touched while getting themselves wondermous golden parachutes.

Ah ... someone else noticed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 11:45:53 AM »
With its nationwide sales, service, and distribution network already in place along with a thriving mail order business, Sears was in a prime position to fill the new internet sales slot - but they didn't even try. That slot is now held by a little company called Amazon.

snip

Sears did try, they were among the first. Back when internet access was through portals on Compuserve & AOL, Sears had a portal called Prodigy (I think) you could order anything in there catalog there & have it delivered or pick it up in the nearest store. What WALMART does today. I there in-store kiosk they were promoting such futuristic ideas as kitchen computer terminals & smart refrigerators that would order groceries automatically.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 11:55:54 AM »

A succession of incompetent and - IMHO - downright corrupt leaders brought down this iconic department store.

This.

Viewed through the lens of business history, Eddie Lampert's actions are a textbook example of how to kill a successful company while making sure your pockets are well-lined. Even their real property holding side, Sears Holdings Corp, has plummeted from a high of $42.95 in May 2015 to under thirty cents a share as of yesterday. From what I can find, that's way undervalued against their physical assets. It gives all the indications of someone intentionally driving prices down so they can buy it up and start re-capping the assets. In fact, I've been thinking about starting an online trading account. I may just do that and use SHC as a low-cost test run. $500 would get me around 1800 shares of SHC. Hold it as a hedge for when Lampert makes his move.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 12:33:29 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 12:00:29 PM »
Sears did try, they were among the first. Back when internet access was through portals on Compuserve & AOL, Sears had a portal called Prodigy (I think) you could order anything in there catalog there & have it delivered or pick it up in the nearest store. What WALMART does today. I there in-store kiosk they were promoting such futuristic ideas as kitchen computer terminals & smart refrigerators that would order groceries automatically.

Prodigy was formed in the 80s by Sears, IBM, and CBS I think.
I worked at Sears in the computer sales dept in the 90s and I can tell you that there was pretty much zero interest in prodigy coming from Sears at that time and Prodigy was sold off in 96 just as the internet boom was taking off.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes