Author Topic: Visa CEO: we won't block gun purchases unless it becomes illegal  (Read 753 times)

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/08/07/visa-ceo-unlike-paypal-and-square-we-wont-block-gun-purchases.html?__twitter_impression=true

Visa will continue to facilitate gun purchases as long as it is legal for people to buy firearms, the chief executive of the credit card giant told CNBC on Wednesday.

"We are guided by the federal laws in a country, and our job is to create and to facilitate fair and secure commerce," said Visa Chairman and CEO Alfred Kelly, the latest corporate leader to address the issue of gun control after the deadly weekend mass shootings in Texas and Ohio.

Payment companies PayPal and Square do not allow their services to be used for gun sales.

It is good to hear one of these guys with a little more sense.  I feel better about VISA being my primary credit card.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Visa CEO: we won't block gun purchases unless it becomes illegal
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 03:33:36 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/08/07/visa-ceo-unlike-paypal-and-square-we-wont-block-gun-purchases.html?__twitter_impression=true

It is good to hear one of these guys with a little more sense.  I feel better about VISA being my primary credit card.

That's good to hear, because certainly that's a potential backdoor issue. If the credit card companies were to refuse firearms purchases on their cards, that would be a defacto ban for many people. One could always go to cash locally, and money orders, cashiers checks, etc. for both local and Internet purchases, but then those aren't really Internet purchases anymore, because you're back to doing 1980s style mail order.

I suppose Internet  firearms companies could create a new model where maybe you send them cash to hold on account, and recharge the account as needed. Or work with non-commie banks to use other means of electronic fund transfers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 05:52:21 PM »
Of course, someone could create a parallel to PayPal, to be used for gun sales. Call it something creative, like "GunPal" ...

... oh
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:33:35 PM »
They tried that a few years ago then the creator embezzled money.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:36:43 PM »
They tried that a few years ago then the creator embezzled money.

Why do you think I chose the name "GunPal"?  [ar15]

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 11:04:39 PM »
Great, now VISA is racist.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 08:19:12 AM »
FYI, NRA credit card alternatives:

https://www.credit-land.com/nra-credit-cards.php

Don't know anything about it, just pointing it out.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 11:47:21 AM »
FYI, NRA credit card alternatives:

https://www.credit-land.com/nra-credit-cards.php

Don't know anything about it, just pointing it out.

One of those is a VISA card.

YMMV, but I won't do anything that will put money in the coffers of the NRA until the current board of directors and Wayne LaPierre are gone.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 04:07:17 PM »
Divide and conquer.  "They've" been after the NRA for a while and finally may have succeeded in wrecking it.

Ain't sayin' what's good and valid or what's bad and stinky about the NRA, but the left's wet dreams about getting rid of it may well come to pass.

Especially in light of the "one mass shooting per day" hysteria going on lately.

But I ain't takin' sides on it herein, just noting the possible tactics involved from external agents, so don't misunderstand me.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.