Author Topic: Missing 52 Years, Air Force Fighter Pilot Killed in Action Returns Home  (Read 556 times)

MechAg94

• friend
This was a great story I heard about yesterday.  An Air Force pilot's remains were finally returned home.  His son was the pilot of the plane on this last leg of the trip. 
Bryan Knight was 5 years old when he waved goodbye to his father from Dallas Love Field Airport. He never saw him again.

The year was 1967, and Roy Knight Jr. was heading to war. The pilot reported to Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base in January. By May, after flying near-daily combat missions, Knight was missing, his plane shot down over enemy territory in Laos. It was another seven years before his family found out he had been killed.
Bryan Knight, the son who watched his dad leave to fight in the Vietnam War, was also the man who flew his remains home — the pilot of that flight from California to Texas that landed at Love Field, the last place the two saw each other.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/08/09/southwest-airlines-flew-remains-vietnam-airman-home-dallas-pilot-was-his-son/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua_CvwvIDfc
Announcement to passengers on the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5p8tKLP4F4
Interview with Bryan Knight including some footage of the plane moving into the terminal and the airport staff lined up to greet it. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Missing 52 Years, Air Force Fighter Pilot Killed in Action Returns Home
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 09:47:28 AM »
Damn monitors are acting up and going all fuzzy again.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 07:00:43 PM »
Absolutely GREAT story, as you can tell by my using caps.

Especially since he decided to make up his own mind about joining the military instead of listening to his mother.

Loved the guy's tie.  Yeah, yeah, you're not supposed to make/wear flag-patterned clothing, but I'd violate the Flag Etiquette if I had one and had to wear a tie and if you didn't like it, you could report me to the Flag Etiquette Police.

GREAT story.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:28:45 PM »
Absolutely GREAT story, as you can tell by my using caps.

Especially since he decided to make up his own mind about joining the military instead of listening to his mother.

Loved the guy's tie.  Yeah, yeah, you're not supposed to make/wear flag-patterned clothing, but I'd violate the Flag Etiquette if I had one and had to wear a tie and if you didn't like it, you could report me to the Flag Etiquette Police.

GREAT story.

Terry, 230RN

Pet peeve.  All that is wrong is wearing an actual flag or desecration of a flag into clothing.  Flag patterned clothing is not wrong.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 09:49:27 PM »
Must be getting tired. Hard time focusing on my phone screen. 

Beautiful story.

Oh, and flag clothing and such...if done with respect for flag and country, I don't care.  Or sign me up to wear it with you.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark