Author Topic: The One, or SOUL MATES  (Read 3485 times)

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
The One, or SOUL MATES
« on: August 31, 2006, 09:32:25 PM »
Those of you who have met your soul mate, or the ONE, etcetera, tell me about the experience. How did you know? What happened?
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 03:30:03 AM »
Winston's got a girlfriend, Winston's got a girlfriend.  Tongue
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 03:32:25 AM »
Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 03:56:53 AM »
It went badly.

I'll go to my grave knowing that we were meant to be together.

Unfortunately, she never could quite reach the same conclusion. She came close, but after I had already given up on her and married someone else.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 05:06:32 AM »
I don't believe in soul mates, used to until what I thought was my soul mate turned into a toxic bitch.

My wife and I refer to each other as evil twins because we think the same way about 85% of the time.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Moondoggie

• friend
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 05:12:58 AM »
There are more than one "The One" for each of us.

My wife of 26 yrs is a "The One"...but it took us quite a few years to reach that realization.  It was a bumpy road, but most definately worth the journey.

My first wife and I instantly thought that each of us was "The One" when first we met...in a bar, go figure.  Lust at first sight.  Damm, she was a major babe!  The reality of living together was a harsh awakening.  The psyche of divorce/failure/wasted opportunity and many yrs of child support left some marks.

I have met one other who was "The One", but as we were both already married I managed to hold myself back and maintain my honor (mostly).
Known from coast to coast, almost!

BozemanMT

• friend
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 05:20:25 AM »
I"m old, almost 40 and was single most of my life and expected to be that way forever
2 years ago i took a huge chance and went on a 600 mile away blind date (really!)
I knew instantly and I think so did she.
We were married 6 months later and as someone said earlier we are twins, we sometimes have teh same thoughts, the same interests, the same viewpoints, etc.  It's actually a little scary.

Take the sex/lust out of the equation, ask yourself if you want to be sitting next to this person on teh couch talking about whatever when you are both 65.
If the answer is yes,  you know what to do.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 06:04:32 AM »
First time I was In Love, she dumped me for another woman...
Blog under construction

trapperready

• friend
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 06:07:40 AM »
The bottom line is that I'm not a "people person". Acquaintances, friends, family, best friends, they all get on my nerves after a while. After some (often small) length of time, I'd just rather go do my own thing. The one notable exception to this is my wife. I could happily spend every second of the rest of my life in her company and enjoy the whole time. Other people... three days at the outside.

Now, when did I know this? Frankly, pretty early. Certainly within the first year we were dating.

The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 06:20:25 AM »
Everything was perfect, down to the way things happened, things we liked, the things we gave each other and the complete special-ness that infused everything, the bullets we dodged, the complete compatibility and mutual adoration and desire to be with each other until we died. I could be myself around her, and she loved me for it. I didn't and don't see myself as the sort of person just anyone will want that way. She was so beautiful..

Then, circumstances got in the way, we tried so hard to be in the same state but it didn't work fast enough.. I never even got enough time with her. I said goodbye when she was going onto a plane.. and it was a bigger goodbye than I ever thought. It turns out there was a free seat and if I had just said "maybe I can get on standby" things would have been so different. Everything could have been different except for a few stupid things that weren't done. We tried so hard and it's as if the universe threw everything in our way after that point. We made mistakes..

and now we're in horrible pain, still want each other, but the vase is cracked and she can't deal with it and swears that I should and will find someone else.

I almost wish I had never known her so that I wouldn't have relationships for the rest of my life ruined for me because nothing will ever come that close. I wish it wasn't so obvious that things could have been totally different so easily..

Soulmate? Yes. Soulmate, with the way everything went leading up to how we were going to be? Irreplacible, untoppable.

I think I'm going to take up drinking or hard drug use.

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 07:53:24 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Winston's got a girlfriend, Winston's got a girlfriend.  Tongue
Haha not even.

I've known this girl for two and a half years. We've both come along way in that time. We were together for a short period last summer, but managed to cooperatively mess it up. She went to France to build a house basically. (She's a bit of a tomboy). She came back, and we saw each other. She is... SO. BEAUTIFUL. She's a couple inches taller than me, skinnny, red hair and freckles and green eyes. The other night, I told her I couldn't believe she found me attractive. She said she couldn't believe I found her attractive.

[sarcasm] And it's not like we're not attractive people, seriously. [/sarcasm] No but we are.

I can't remember knowing her and not loving her. I think I've dated a lot for my age. My career started when I was 14. I've been in love a few times, had long term (for my age) relationships, I've had some short things and a couple one nighters. I'm in college now. There are many, many opportunities. My school is 70% female. I'm not going to lie, I've taken a couple of those opportunities, but in the morning all I can think about is Andrea. I don't feel guilt, I just feel absolute love.

I'm a loner by nature. I'm a very social person, but I come to and leave parties alone. I'm sure you know the type. I know the absolute stupidity of having a monogamous relationship in a college that's 70% female... a relationship with a girl that lives 50 miles away when neither of us have cars.

But goddamnit I love her. I feel like any other monogamous relationship would  be a compromise. I want to compare my experience with others to feel out the "deluding myself" factor.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

client32

• friend
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 08:19:23 AM »
Take the sex/lust out of the equation
Good advise, easier said than done.

It is easy to get infatuated by someone/something and think you can't live without.  Especially if this person/object is not around.  Therefore, I would add to BozemanMT's advice and say that you need to get past the image that you have of her and make sure you aren't viewing through a filter so to speak.

My wife and I knew that we would work out pretty quick.  I can't explain why or how.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 08:22:51 AM »
Sex and lust is out the equation. If it was about sex, I'd be getting laid every night of the week up here. This is not bravado, just college + a boy who grew up fast.

The living in the past equation is interesting, I'm going to think about that.

PS.

She's a gunny in training. I'm wearing the cartridge casings of the first two rounds she ever fired around my neck, and she has mine. .22s, of course.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 09:49:26 AM »
Hum...

Red heads with green eyes.

That's who broke my heart...

Eileen...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 09:58:09 AM »
I went to university that had 60% women and it was almost impossible to stay in a relationship for very long. You be in one then next thing you know a prettier coed or one with bigger/better assets would be calling on you.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 10:12:20 AM »
Quote from: Bogie
First time I was In Love, she dumped me for another woman...
Oh, ouch.

Quote from: Winston Smith
She's a couple inches taller than me, skinnny, red hair and freckles and green eyes.
Damn.  That's just what I like.

The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 10:50:50 AM »
Nada. Smiley

grampster

• friend
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 11:17:09 AM »
I met my future wife by accident.  She made a left turn as I was passing her.  I was in pursuit of a couple of miscreants.  Overhead light, no siren.  I tried to avoid her by swerving into the same lot she was headed for, but she kept turning.  I opened up the side of her brand new '64 Ford Falcon convertable like a can opener.  Her first word to me were, "You dumb somonabehach, look what you did to my car".  Hmmmmmm

Fast forward about a year.  I'm in a local pub, off duty, nosing around and I see this pretty blonde lass that looked sort of familiar.  I managed to finagle my way over to where she was and being the suave, debonair young turk that I was, in rather dulcet tones, with the smooth advanced vocabulatory delivery of the practiced rake I said, "Duh, you look familiar, do I know you?"  

She looked me up and down as my poor heart raced, and she replied,  "Yup, you're the dumb somonabehach that smashed up my car."

We got married about 6 months later.  This October 8th it'll be 40 years.

Someday I'll tell you the story of when I took her on a date to see my granpap.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

cosine

• Administrator
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 11:19:58 AM »
Quote from: grampster
Someday I'll tell you the story of when I took her on a date to see my granpap.
Today's a day that's as good as any!
Andy

BozemanMT

• friend
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 12:35:22 PM »
Quote from: trapperready
The bottom line is that I'm not a "people person". Acquaintances, friends, family, best friends, they all get on my nerves after a while. After some (often small) length of time, I'd just rather go do my own thing. The one notable exception to this is my wife. I could happily spend every second of the rest of my life in her company and enjoy the whole time. Other people... three days at the outside.
I showed this to my wife and she laughed and said THAT'S IT
We're both hermits, but not around each other.

Oh winston, sorry, guys can't date women taller than them, never works.
Sorry, best move on
or grow taller.
:-)
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 01:03:18 PM »
94-95, I went to U of MO, Rolla.  It's an engineering school, mostly, though its mining/geology program was its original forte.  Math and science, too, natch.  This means that the female population was very small, at least when I went.  Thank goodness for the Turkish and Chinese students, or we would have had no pretty girls at all.  Smiley

On my first date with the wife, it was a good sign that we went out to eat and then to the bookstore/coffeeshop for a couple of hours, and then talked on her porch until midnight, at least.  Then I was up all night thinking about her (no, not like that).  I slept a couple of hours before I had to go to church the next morning, and then she sat next to me.  It was also helpful that everybody supported us, from the church folks, to her students and co-workers, to the family members.  

It would be a big job to describe all the factors that go into this "soul mate" thing.  My wife and I just happen to be a lot alike, and pretty unlike other people.  We're very weird, trust me.  I guess some people are more attracted to opposites, though, so it depends on you.

What really depends on you is love.  Love is not just a feeling or an impulse, it is a verb.  You might start by being attracted to a girl, but the question is whether you will just take advantage of what she has to offer, or whether you will decide to love her.  Love means making her more important than yourself, always seeking what's best for her, etc.  Doesn't mean you bend over backwards to please her in every detail; but I think you get the point.  On that basis, you can have a soul mate.  Without it, you could lose a perfectly good one.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 01:06:27 PM »
I don't believe there is such a thing.  Partner with the best person for you, and strive like hell to make it work right.  Not very romantic, but it's served me well for 11+ years.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 01:19:56 PM »
Winston, it sounds to me like you've found the one.

I've written a lot about my my wife and me lately, so I won't bore you with more details, except to say this: if you love her, don't let her get away. Even if you can get her back, it's a lot of work. I went through that with Debbie, and it was very painful.

You don't have to answer this question if you don't want to. Does your girlfriend know that you have sex with others? If not, you're asking for trouble. If you want your girlfriend, you have to make a choice between her or the rest of the female population.

My wife and I met when we were very young. I knew within a couple of weeks that we'd be together forever, or at least as long as I could keep her.

Sometimes things are that obvious.

Winston Smith

• friends
    • My Photography
The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 01:37:26 PM »
You don't have to answer this question if you don't want to. Does your girlfriend know that you have sex with others? If not, you're asking for trouble. If you want your girlfriend, you have to make a choice between her or the rest of the female population.
She's not my girlfriend. We're strictly friends till we sort things out. When the time comes, I will make that strong choice confidently.
Jack
APS #22
Right?

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

The One, or SOUL MATES
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 01:47:45 PM »
Quote from: BozemanMT
Take the sex/lust out of the equation, ask yourself if you want to be sitting next to this person on teh couch talking about whatever when you are both 65.
If the answer is yes,  you know what to do.
+1, dude.