Author Topic: democrats want abc to pull movie.. ha ha ha  (Read 1285 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
democrats want abc to pull movie.. ha ha ha
« on: September 07, 2006, 07:51:02 PM »
http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060908/2006-09-08T003500Z_01_N07260695_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-SEPT11-DEMOCRATS-FILM-DC.html

Democrats urge ABC to withdraw 9/11 movie

Sept 7, 8:35 PM (ET)

By Richard Cowan and Thomas Ferraro

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Amid an election-year debate over who can best defend America, U.S. congressional Democrats urged ABC on Thursday to cancel a TV miniseries about the September 11 attacks that is critical of former Democratic President Bill Clinton and his top aides.

Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid of Nevada denounced the five-hour television movie, set to air in two parts on Sunday and Monday nights, as "a work of fiction."

Reid and other leading Senate Democrats wrote to Robert Iger, president and CEO of ABC's corporate parent, the Walt Disney Co., urging him to "cancel this factually inaccurate and deeply misguided program."

Chronicling events leading to the September 11 attacks, the movie suggests the Clinton administration was too distracted by the Monica Lewinsky sex scandal to deal properly with the gathering threat posed by Islamic militants.

The furor comes as Democrats and Republicans jockey for political position in advance of the November 7 congressional elections over who can best secure the United States from another attack.

Democrats have chided Republicans for failing to implement security recommendations by the 9/11 commission, and Republicans have portrayed Democrats as soft on terrorism.

In recent days, former members of the Clinton administration also lodged complaints with Iger, urging ABC and Disney to fix or eliminate what they called errors and fabrications.

ABC issued a statement saying the production, "The Path to 9/11," was still being edited and that criticism of the film's specifics were thus "premature and irresponsible."

'DRAMATIC LICENSE'

Executive Producer Marc Platt acknowledged that "there is dramatic license taken" in the docudrama to "render the program effective and accessible for viewers."

"But we do try within the boundaries of what is fair and reasonable to communicate the essence of what occurred (and) the intentions of those individuals involved," he told Reuters in a telephone interview from London. "We have no intention or desire to be political, to intentionally distort."

Platt also said one scene singled out for criticism by Democrats -- depicting CIA operatives and Afghan fighters coming close to capturing Osama bin Laden in the 1990s, only for then-national security advisor Samuel Berger to refuse authorization of the mission -- was a "conflation of events."

Berger said in a letter to Iger earlier this week that "no such episode ever occurred, nor did anything like it."

The September 11 attacks occurred about eight months after Clinton turned over the presidency in January 2001 to Republican George W. Bush.

For several years, Democrats have complained the Bush administration failed to capture or kill bin Laden when he reportedly was cornered in Afghanistan's Tora Bora region in late 2001. They also argue the war in Iraq later took away resources for tracking down bin Laden.

ABC said its movie was not a documentary but a dramatization drawn from the official 9/11 commission report, personal interviews and other materials.

"As such, for dramatic and narrative purposes, the film contains fictionalized scenes, composite and representative characters and dialogue and time compression," ABC said.

Former New Jersey Gov. Thomas Kean, a Republican who chaired the 9/11 commission and served as a consultant for the ABC miniseries, defended the production as politically balanced.

"People in both parties didn't particularly like the commission report, and I think people in both parties aren't going to love this one," he said.

The cast of the film includes Harvey Keitel as an FBI agent and expert on Islamic militants, Donnie Wahlberg as a covert CIA operative, Amy Madigan as a high-ranking CIA analyst, Patricia Heaton as a U.S. diplomat and Stephen Root as White House counter-terrorism advisor Richard Clarke.

"The Path to 9/11" is not the first historical TV drama to draw a partisan outcry. CBS canceled a miniseries about Ronald and Nancy Reagan after Republicans complained that it unfairly and inaccurately portrayed the former president. "The Reagans" ended up airing on sibling cable channel Showtime.

(Additional reporting by Steve Gorman and Ellen Wulfhorst)

Reuters/VNU

Oh I love it!!  All I have to say is where were the democrats when all the anti Republican propaganda films aka Fahrenheit 911 was out. I think they said something about free speech? Hmmm..

This movie from what I saw in the snippets on the evening news just shows that bad decisions were made under the administration in the Clinton era.  Of course we knew this anyways.

Looking forward to the unedited DVD when it comes out sometime next year if it does.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 08:18:24 PM »
Wasn't the PURPOSE of the First Amendment to protect political speech first and foremost?

As such, ASSUMING the Dems are right and the entire film is unrestricted political propaganda, this very thing means that their Senate leadership should STFU.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 05:09:54 AM »
Chronicling events leading to the September 11 attacks, the movie suggests the Clinton administration was too distracted by the Monica Lewinsky sex scandal to deal properly with the gathering threat posed by Islamic militants.
So they're saying it's accurate then.

Berger said in a letter to Iger earlier this week that "no such episode ever occurred, nor did anything like it."
And Mr. Berger is a good honest person who would never do anything wrong like remove(steal) potentially damaging documents from the National Archive.

MicroBalrog a huge +1 here. Their media buddies are abandoning them to save their own skins and they can't come up with anything better to do than stomp their feet and throw a tantrum.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 05:51:20 AM »
ABC's buckling under the pressure, about like I thought they would:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,212935,00.html.

ABC Altering 9/11 Film After Clinton Officials Express Outrage
Friday, September 08, 2006

Three members of the administration  former Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright, former National Security Adviser Samuel R. Berger and Clinton aide Bruce Lindsey, who now heads the Clinton Foundation  said they sent letters to Walt Disney Company, parent of ABC, demanding that it re-edit or pull the five-hour film, scheduled for air Sunday and Monday nights without commercial interruption.

The Washington Post reported Friday that an ABC executive, who requested anonymity because the network is making only written comments, said small revisions have been underway for weeks.

The "adjustments and refinements" are "intended to make clearer that it was general indecisiveness" by federal officials that left America vulnerable to attack, and "not any one individual," the Post reported.

Thomas H. Kean, the film's co-executive producer and a former New Jersey governor who co-chaired the 9/11 Commission, said that he asked for changes in response to the criticism.

"The script has been altered by ABC wherever they thought... it was justified, they've always made changes," Kean told FOX News on Friday.

When asked whether he thought the film unfairly portrayed President Clinton being distracted by the Monica Lewinsky affair, Kean said, "There's a lot of things that are mentioned... I don't think that's really accurate," adding that at one point the film characterizes Clinton as "still focused" on Usama bin Laden and the Al Qaeda threat, a finding confirmed by the final 9/11 Commission Report.

"These are people of integrity," Kean said of the filmmakers, the Post reported. "I know there are some scenes where words are put in characters' mouths. But the whole thing is true to the spirit of 9/11."

"This idea that Hollywood is out for Bill Clinton is nuts," he said.

Kean also questioned whether Lindsey, who accused Kean of partisanship, actually sent his letter to ABC.

"The press got it," Kean said.

Albright, who is featured prominently in the film, said she wrote a letter to Disney chief Robert A. Iger, complaining that she had been told by people who had seen the film that it depicts scenes that never happened, events that never took place, decisions that were never made and conversations that never occurred.

It asserts as fact things that are not fact, she reportedly wrote.

Albright specifically objected to a scene that showed her insisting on warning the Pakistani government before an airstrike on Afghanistan, and that she was the one who made the warning.

"The scene as explained to me is false and defamatory," she said.

In a statement released late Thursday, ABC said, "No one has seen the final version of the film, because the editing process is not yet complete, so criticisms of film specifics are premature and irresponsible."

"For dramatic and narrative purposes, the movie contains fictionalized scenes, composite and representative characters and dialogue, and time compression," ABC said in its statement. "We hope viewers will watch the entire broadcast of the finished film before forming an opinion about it."

The miniseries is drawn from interviews and documents including the report of the Sept. 11 commission. ABC has described it as a "dramatization" as opposed to a documentary.

Click here for FOXNews.com's War on Terror center.

"The content of this drama is factually and incontrovertibly inaccurate and ABC has the duty to fully correct all errors or pull the drama entirely," Lindsey wrote.

Lindsey's accused ABC of "bias" and "fictitious rewriting of history that will be misinterpreted by millions of Americans."

Lindsey and Douglas Band, a top lawyer in Clinton's office, objected to advertisements for the miniseries, which they said suggested that Clinton wasn't paying enough attention to the threat of terrorism.

"While ABC is promoting "The Path to 9/11" as a dramatization of historical fact, in truth it is a fictitious rewriting of history that will be misinterpreted by millions of Americans," they said.

"Given your stated obligation to 'get it right,' we urge you to do so by not airing this drama until the egregious factual errors are corrected, an endeavor we could easily assist you with given the opportunity to view the film," they said.

ABC spokesman Jonathan Hogan defended the miniseries as a "dramatization, not a documentary, drawn from a variety of sources, including the 9/11 commission report, other published materials and personal interviews."

"Many of the people who have expressed opinions about the film have yet to see it in its entirety or in its final broadcast form, " Hogan said. "We hope the viewers will watch the entire broadcast before forming their own opinion."

The letters also pointed to a fictional CIA character in the series, "Kirk," played by actor Donnie Wahlberg, and how he is ordered to abort a mission to kill bin Laden. Berger complained that "no such episode ever occurred  nor did anything like it."

"The fabrication of this scene (of such apparent magnitude) cannot be justified under any reasonable definition of dramatic license," Berger wrote.

The series reportedly cost about $40 million to produce, and is to be aired both nights without commercials as a public service.

This is not the first time political pressure has been exerted against a TV film. CBS dropped a four-hour miniseries about the Reagans in 2003, after Republican and conservative groups complained about its portrayal of the former president and first lady. The Reagans later aired on cable's Showtime channel.

client32

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 08:37:26 AM »
What is their (Clinton and Co.) end goal here?

If what I have heard is correct, the movie starts with 1993 bombing of WTC, all the way up to 9/11.  If I have done my math correctly, it seems that Clinton and Co. were in the white house for the majority of that time.  I don't think that any movie that uses this time period can ignore their actions and possible implications.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 08:38:46 AM »
As I read and hear more about this throughout the day, the more concerned I become.

The letter sent by Harry Reid and the rest of the Democrats contained in its text a reference to the networks obligations under the Communications Act of 1934 and the public interest. Basically they threatened them with reviewing their FCC station licenses if they ran the show.

Do you realize what this means? A major branch of our U.S. government just censored the press. Hello 1st Amendment!!! angry

Better keep working on protection that 2nd Amendment. It may be the only thing that saves us.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 05:06:57 PM »
Clinton on the news:"I just want them to be honest!" As in "I did not have sex with that woman" under OATH??

Well, at last he wasn't the real president.

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 10:31:00 PM »
This is not the first time.

FCC regulations had been abused from the get-go.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 12:48:40 PM »
I wonder if Harry Reid would be satisfied if Michael Moore took over the editing process.

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 04:09:34 PM »
One is tempted to point out that this is much like the situation with the Reagan "docudrama" of a couple years ago.

Goose... gander?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 06:09:55 PM »
In the Regean situation, were any licenses threatened?  Did sitting Congressmen make any threats or even protests?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2006, 07:02:11 PM »
Fistful, I've just done probably nearly an hour of searching on the Reagan biography.

Yes, there were "howls of protest" from the Right.

However, I can't find any record of a member of Congress calling for the revocation of ABC or Showtime's license.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2006, 11:49:34 PM »
(Edited because I rambled on so long that my post made no sense. I have to stop sitting on this computer all night).

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 06:13:44 AM »
Personally I have a theory that this ABC movie is a sandbag job.

It's a very left of center network, the only reason I could think of why they would produce a film that points out many of the pre Bush era mistakes concerning the war on radical militant islamic fundementalism are these...

They want the whole thing to be discredited and chocked up as fictional garbage, they wanted everyone to say this 5 hour movie is bull.
Like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.  
By fictionalizing it they make ALL the points about the 93 WTC bombing and the USS Cole etc appear as if it was just sensationalized lies.

While there are valid points in there, by making it so controversial they help their friends on the left discredit the accurate points.
Just my theory.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2006, 04:54:04 AM »
So, did anyone watch this last night?  I watched bits and pieces while switching from the football game and Family Guy.  They definitely made Sandy Berger look like the oxygen thief he is.  Ol' Maddy Albright didn't come off too good either.  That must have been why she was so pissed.  I don't know how much ABC changed, if any, but they did have a statement at the end that said it was a dramatization and that there were some ficticious events to add to the drama.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Ron

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2006, 05:03:49 AM »
I started watching and just plain lost interest.

The events of 9/11 are never far from my mind and I am a news junkie. Watching this show is just going over well trodden ground for me.

We were asleep at the wheel before the attack, the Dems view acknowledging this as a political attack, it isn't, it is just the facts.

garrettwc

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2006, 06:30:46 AM »
According to Fox News, they changed quite a bit and cut parts of it out entirely. That's why it ran 2 hrs 40 min instead of 3 hrs. Then the filled the time they created with the ABC Nightline "Hunt for Bin Laden" piece that they have aired before.