Author Topic: Sending a message to customer support....  (Read 1119 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Sending a message to customer support....
« on: September 09, 2006, 10:38:59 AM »
Some soldiers in Iraq with something to say about HP's customer service policy....
http://www.break.com/index/crappyprinterhp.html
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 10:54:59 AM »
Shades of Office Space.

Cheesy

Sweet.

~GnSx

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 04:50:13 PM »
HP's customer service sucks!!!!!!!!

we use HP's at work
My team (my budget) pays for 24 hour support.  (even though they are 90% desktops)
one of my team's desktop went down.  The local IT guy played with it, went through all their support.  Got a new chip
Then a new motherboard
Then a new this, then that
a month goes by, this computer never comes back up again  (luckily we have spares, one advantage of all our jobs going overseas)
Finally he tells HP, this is crap, give me a new damn computer, it's a freaking $1000 desktop for goodness sake, who cares?

This was two months ago
I heard it shipped last thursday

Meaning my team member has been without a computer for 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ridiculous.

Dell sucks, HP sucks
Who's left?
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 05:24:55 AM »
Who's left?... No one.  They all suck at one time or another.

As for the printer, the Army boys should have bought a Canon.  I replaced my HP printer/fax/scanner/copier/espresso machine with a similar Canon.  The HP was worthless; the Canon rocks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 05:46:12 AM »
Quote from: Fly320s
Who's left?... No one.  They all suck at one time or another.

As for the printer, the Army boys should have bought a Canon.  I replaced my HP printer/fax/scanner/copier/espresso machine with a similar Canon.  The HP was worthless; the Canon rocks.
We are on our second HP all in one.  My son ensured the demise of the first one, so far this one has made it through a basement remodel (think, dry wall dust...the *expletive deleted*it is in every nook and cranny of the printer) and a move.  It works flawlessly, my only complaint is that I can't figure out how to turn off the ringer volume for the fax....scares me right out of my pants when I'm on the puter and it goes off....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 05:50:42 AM »
It may cost more now to build a computer from the ground up (it used to be the other way around and there was a price advantage to building your own)  
But you get to choose the components that you want, you can research ahead of time and make sure they work together.  
And most importantly you don't have to get a system that is already doomed by having 10GBs of CRAP software preinstalled.

Not to mention you will never ever have to wait 45 minutes to talk to habib just so he can ask you if the power cord is plugged in.. and when you say yes, tell you to send the machine in.

Now having been the guy on the other end who is trying to help the end user, I know that computer tech support over the phone 95% of the time is completely worthless.  
A good tech either has to be in front of the machine or be able to loginto it.  
And any good tech that says they can fix most problems over the phone... will be bald with his arms crossed in nice leather jacket sitting in a white padded room in no time. JMHO  **
UNLESS said tech built the system from scratch and knows the hardware, and what software is and should be installed.  As soon as an end user starts installing their own stuff.  I say leave the problems to them.

But then again end users are the reason I got out of the tech support field.  Construction work leaves my sanity intact. Smiley

**note I mean real problems.. not made up ones by the enduser because they are too lazy to read or too ignorant to open a popcan without personal instruction.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 04:21:13 PM »
I learned a secret about printers; buy the one with the cheapest refill cartridges. I saw an HP all in one and a Cannon all in one printer. Both were the same price. The Cannon cartridges were $7.00 for black and $10.00 for color. HP's prices were almost triple, but didn't provide triple the printing. Also, the HP cartridges came with a date chip; when they got old, they wouldn't work even if they were still good. You had to change the date on your computer to make an older but still good print cartridge work.

My HP service is in India with people who barely understand English. However, if you're in Canada, I've been told you get Canadian help. I have heard of people using the Canadian numbers for better help. If they ask, tell them you're in Canada on a cell phone. What do they care?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 03:52:30 AM »
Now having been the guy on the other end who is trying to help the end user, I know that computer tech support over the phone 95% of the time is completely worthless.
Where I work we service HPs under warranty.  The tech support we get (with the exception of server support) is the same as the end users get.  Any more I have almost a physical aversion to calling tech support.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 04:07:16 PM »
I work for a $large_IT_co and we support $MouseCompany.  Our IT support, just to reset AD passwords is in India.  I have admin rights to everything in a multi-billion dollar company and I have to call India to reset my password.....