Author Topic: Pics from the Porkies  (Read 1007 times)

Ron

Pics from the Porkies
« on: September 09, 2006, 11:19:06 AM »
Spent last week in Porcupine Mountains Wilderness State Park. Had a great time, off grid for four days three nights living off of only what I carried.

Some pics

BakerMikeRomeo

Pics from the Porkies
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 11:24:42 AM »
1. Lookin' a little rugged there in that last picture, eh GoRon? Cheesy

2. Looks beautiful out theyah.

3. Well don't just sit there looking disheveled and suspect, man! Tell us what all you carried, and anything you learned from it!

~GnSx

Ron

Pics from the Porkies
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 11:53:33 AM »
Lookin' a little rugged there in that last picture, eh GoRon? big_smile
The picture doesn't do justice to the level of exhaustion I experienced on this trip Smiley

The pack was heavy, almost 45#'s on day one. Only carried one water bottle as there was plenty of water in the park. We had enough food for the two of us to be out there an extra day. I had two sets of pants and shirts including what I was wearing. Three pairs of socks. My buddy and I brought our own tents, mine is a two person tent (NorthFace Tadpole) so I could trim some weight by getting a smaller tent.

Our food was all  "Backpackers Pantry" brand except for some odds and ends. My buddy had a "Sweetwater" pump for the water.

This was my first real backpack trip where I did a multi day loop. I learned I have acquired a new hobby!

Day one was actually a hike in, camp and hike out the next morning at the Trap Hills. We spent a lot of time on the North Country Trail there.  Once we were ot of the traps we drove to the Porkies and hiked down to Lake Superior to camp. That is the lake pic I posted.

Here is a pic from the Trap Hills.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Pics from the Porkies
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 12:47:09 PM »
Congrats on a great trip. Thanks for the pics, looks like a fun spot.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

thumbody

• friend
Pics from the Porkies
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 04:03:05 PM »
Still as beautiful as I remember. My younger brother and I went up there with the next door neighbor when we were 12 & 14 yrs old (about 30 yrs ago ). We hiked out to Superior then up to the Carp River, then up the Carp River trail across the Escarpment  and back to the main entrance. It was a trip I'll never forget.( I imagine the neighbor man still has nightmares about taking 2 very green hikers on a 3 day hike)
I'm OK it's the rest of the world that's messed up

Ron

Pics from the Porkies
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 08:05:51 PM »
We hiked out to Superior then up to the Carp River, then up the Carp River trail across the Escarpment  and back to the main entrance.
We started at Pinkerton Trail down to Lake Superior and camped. The next day we went up Big Carp to Correction Line Trail up to Mirror Lake for the night.  Correction Trail is a rough one, I heard Escarpment isn't a piece of cake either. From Mirror Lake we went downRiver Trail to Little Carp. We camped at Trapper Falls. The next morning we headed down Little Carp to Traders Falls. We found a place to bushwack across back to Pinkerton then up to the car.
Sunset at Lake Superior

Morning at Mirror Lake

This is a neat one

Ron

Pics from the Porkies
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 04:54:03 AM »
Put a couple more pics on my Photobucket page.

Little Carp River

Back to work tomorrow, bummer.

I have never been so refreshed after a vacation as I am from this trip. All the things that were stressing me out before the trip seem inconsequential now. We'll see how long that lasts,lol.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Pics from the Porkies
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 07:42:22 AM »
SWEET GoRon ( turning a lovely shade of envy green here).  Last time I took my buds on minor backpacking trip (one night to watch the Perseid meteor shower) a dirt road with a gentle grade turned into the "Bataan Death March" according to them. Two fit men in their prime, while I was the one still recovering from a badly twisted ankle and the tail end of a summer cold.  : rolleyes:
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Ron

Pics from the Porkies
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 09:46:24 AM »
Last time I took my buds on minor backpacking trip (one night to watch the Perseid meteor shower) a dirt road with a gentle grade turned into the "Bataan Death March" according to them.
Didn't do much stargazing, saw the Pleiades very distinctly with the naked eye though. For the most part I went down with the Sun, give or take an hour.

There were some sections if described "death march" would be apropos on this trip. Correction Trail, day two after a fitful sleep the night before was a challenge to say the least. Second wind? I needed a third and fourth, lol.