Author Topic: Yardsale finds  (Read 963 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Yardsale finds
« on: September 09, 2006, 06:01:50 PM »
Today was our HOA's yardsale.  Normally, I have to manage our own yardsale and don't get to spend much time wandering around like my wife does. rolleyes  Not this time.  We decided not to bother and hit the yardsales together.  Here are my treasures:

A nearly NIB Coleman lantern (200 model, one mantel) from the early 80s for $1  Getting it lit is a bit touchy, but once it warms up, it runs great.  If I get bored, I'll tackle the job (probably a cleaning and maybe a generator), otherwise, I'll use it as is.

Two Eagles albums (actual vinyl) for .50.  One has no scratches and plays perfectly on my Grandparents' old Magnavox console stereo that serves as the TV stand in our bedroom.  The other has a minor scratch on one song, but it'll play past it after a couple skips.

A Nikon FE with 50mm and 35mm lenses for $12.  The seller claimed it was his dad's, who used it as a National Geographic photog.  I dunno.  I don't really care either.  The lenses aren't in great shape.  One has nice glass but a loose focusing ring, the other is nice other than marks on the front and rear elements.  The body has lots of brassing and some minor dents, but otherwise is in good shape.  The meter checks out when compared to the meter on my overhauled Olympus OM-1.  I'm debating on keeping it or not.  I don't need another camera, but I like how this one operates and it does have the ability to use my autofocus Nikkor lenses.  The body is going to need new foam.  That's a job I've done on a Canon Canonet, but not an SLR.

The rest was misc stuff, but all told, I spent a mere $17.  SWMBO spent a whole dollar. Smiley

Chris

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Yardsale finds
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 06:18:31 PM »
My wife is a yardsale junkie. She even stops at them on her way to work.

For awhile, I would kid her about her "hobby."

Until, that is, I found out what some of her finds were worth.

She has bought many items for as little as $5 that have been appraised for several hundred dollars each.

Of course, she usually goes "rummaging" with a friend of hers who owns an antique store.

I'm just hoping and crossing my fingers that one of these days she'll get one of those "hidden Rembrandt's" for $25.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Yardsale finds
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 06:50:32 AM »
I like pawn shops for measuring tools... The guys generally don't know what the stuff is, so you can buy a $100 mike for $20...

Goodwill is good for electronics sometimes. I look for the 1970s "big iron" receivers, or nicer speakers.

Yard sales are nice for stuff like yard tools, etc...
Blog under construction

Yardsale finds
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 12:12:56 PM »
mtnbkr,

These  old Coleman single mantles are the ones I like best too.  Generator and cleaning like you said probably all it needs.

I am not a shopper per se, still I have been called to come check something out, or been with those that "just have whip over here and look"

I bought a tin of Browning Gun Oil for .50 and gave it to these kids wanting to help Grandpa "decorate" with his collectibles.

Some of these Browning Gun Oil tins bring $65 to collectors I have been informed. Hoppes Gun Oil Tins fetch as much as  $45.

Set of Case Steak Knives, and Case Kitchen Set - $15 for the whole lot.

Brass Zippo Lighter, NIB , $2

Norton IB6 Whetstone for a $1.50

etc

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
Yardsale finds
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 01:34:36 PM »
A Nikon FE with 50mm and 35mm lenses for $12.
You want to get rid of that let me know.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

LAK

• friend
Yardsale finds
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 11:27:52 PM »
It's a buyers' market right now. Many people hard up for cash selling off what is perceived as junk or otherwise outdated etc. With the stampede to digital there has never been a better time to buy some of the best emulsion film cameras of all types.

Just a few years ago I paid a healthy sum each for several OM-1 cameras and lenses. The same ones now selling on the evilBay for $40 to $100 in excellent to mint cosmetic and servicable condition; often with an extra lens or two, case or flash etc.

I am just in the process of replacing a Rollei 35 viewfinder compact 35mm camera - which I foolishly sold about 12 years ago - with a mint or as new example. Whereas several years ago these were running as high as c. $450, they are now often going for half that or less - even though the demand for these both user and collector is still high.

While undoubtably many of these are coming from estate sales - as their original owners are dying off - a significant number of sellers are aquiring them at yard sales for comparative peanuts.

--------------------------------------------

http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org