Author Topic: Severe Storms in the South  (Read 1416 times)

vernal45

• friend
Severe Storms in the South
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »
I know I don't post much,  I just want to send prayers out to any APS members in RHS south.  Hope you all are safe, the storms blew through here (AR) earlier. Got electricity back a few minutes ago, we are ok here, minus a good chunk of our roof and some downed trees. These were some bad ass storms, mother nature really flexing her muscles. Hope all of you on the path of this are safe and remain that way.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
Re: Severe Storms in the South
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:30:39 AM »
I'm between Lonoke and Cabot (AR), and we had some nice fireworks and wind, but no tornado.  Hope everyone is ok!
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 08:06:57 AM »
A good friend of my business partner lives in TN and her (rented) house and barn were destroyed with her in it.  Luckily she is unharmed, but her horse is missing and the property owner, who owns the house and thousands of surrounding acres, lost a few hundred cattle. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 08:37:18 AM »
Waiting for the thundersnow here.

Milwaukee's expecting up to 18" of global warming by 6 pm tonight. 

I called in, no sense traveling to work on these roads until the plows can do their thing.

My heart goes out to the tornado victims in Tennessee.   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 08:40:42 AM »
There was an interview with some of the students who got out of those dorms in MO. I have no idea how nobody was killed...the buildings literally came apart around them. They told of windows exploding inward, ceilings coming down and debris falling on them. The buildings look like a car bomb blew up in front of them.

They got lucky.

Also, the news last night really showed the geographic bias. The South doesn't matter, apparently.

For hours, I was seeing blog posts of "OMG IT HIT THE MALL PEOPLE ARE TRAPPED" and "I can see a fireball over the horizon!"...and all the major news networks were just "election" and even "natalie holloway" (!)...no mention at all of that. No scroller, no nothing. A full three hours after one hit Memphis, CNN was running Nancy Grace with no cut-in, even. If someone was tuned into Fox or CNN or any of those and couldn't hear a warning siren, they'd have gotten no warning at all.

If it were Hollywood, it would have been breaking in as Breaking News, but... the South got no coverage until the first reports of confirmed fatalities, and until the candidates themselves mentioned the ongoing disaster in speeches. 

Figures. 

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 04:21:55 PM »
All said, we received 12.5 inches of snow by 6pm tonight.

This is my back deck, looking through the dining room sliding door:  shocked

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 06:10:33 PM »
Down here in Mobile, the temps have been in the high 60s to low 70s all week. Smiley

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 04:03:35 AM »
That's not snow, it's frozen sunshine!  cheesy

Yea, we here in Hartford area Ct had some of the loudest thunder I've ever heard last night and seriously heavy rain. Big long loud rolling thunder, kinda rattled the whole house, very very strange.

Dammit, will you southern folk get the hell out of there! I worry about you'uns.  shocked

Hope everybody in your neck(s) of the woods is ok!
Avoid cliches like the plague!