Author Topic: Why can't I watch YouTube?  (Read 5295 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Why can't I watch YouTube?
« on: January 30, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »
Most of the time when I click on a YouTube video all I get is a circle of dots going round and round.  I'm guessing that it is trying to load, but it never does.  It just goes on and on - if I get bored and walk away it will go on and on - hours later it is still there going around in circles suggesting it is trying to load.

We need not be concerned with why I would want to watch anything on YouTube.  let's merely presume the reason is acceptable.

So what's going on, and what do I need to do to be able to watch YouTube videos instead of seeing that never-ending circle of dots?

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Why can't I watch YouTube?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »
Odd...

what kind of browser? do you have up to date flash/java/shockwave and the like?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 10:21:34 PM »
Odd...

what kind of browser? do you have up to date flash/java/shockwave and the like?

OK, what are those things?

Yes, I am that ignorant.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:25:31 PM »
We need not be concerned with why I would want to watch anything on YouTube.  let's merely presume the reason is acceptable.

That's a lot for us to presume, sir....   =D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 10:53:45 PM by seeker_two »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:52:56 PM »
Are you using a software firewall? That can sometimes block sites like YouTube from loading contents.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 11:50:48 PM »
go here:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

does it say installation complete?
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 11:56:18 PM »
OK, what are those things?

Yes, I am that ignorant.

stay safe.

skidmark

They are "plugins" for your browser that enable you to play multimedia. I just named a few of the more common ones that you need to use various forms of multimedia- video, sounds, etc.

Adobe Flash

Sun Microsystems Java

Shockwave (can't remember who makes that one).

And one I didn't list earlier, Quicktime.

Just google each of those and you will get your links to them.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 03:21:21 AM »
or better yet, just go to google and search for "mozilla firefox" download that, it should
take care of it.

now...what are you looking at on youtube???
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 05:55:30 AM »
Harold - Yes, it does say "Installation complete."  Also, same problem (tho not as often) on Firefox.

Gunsmith - Let's just start with the stuff posted/linked here.

Seeker_two - Agreed, but I've seen you make greater leaps of faith.  "Trust me.  I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you."

stay safe.

skidmark

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 09:27:22 AM »
Seeker_two - Agreed, but I've seen you make greater leaps of faith.  "Trust me.  I'm from the Government and I'm here to help you."

Now I've never been THAT faithful.....but I have taken candy from strangers before....  :lol:

So....whatcha watchin' on YouTube?....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 01:43:51 PM »
Now I've never been THAT faithful.....but I have taken candy from strangers before....  :lol:

So....whatcha watchin' on YouTube?....  =D

Very little - because all I get is that little circle of dots most of the time.

I'd like to see what it is youze guys post that is supposed to be entertaining/funny/enlightening, but all I get is a circle of dots.

So - have we gone around in circles enough?

How come I can't watch YouTube?

stay safe.

skidmark

PS - is there anything besides what youze guys link to that might be interesting?  Maybe I could try to watch that while you figure out why all I get is a circle of dots.  =D

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 06:59:11 PM »
See if these work:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1770138

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1823766

http://www.wimp.com/creepyexperiment/ (No, it's not CG.  I've tried it before, and it works.)

http://www.wimp.com/flutecellist/

Just in case... y'know... that it's YouTube's fault, and not your browser's.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 07:11:27 PM »
I was having the same problem, I downloaded firefox mozilla and said yes to all the add ons and plug is they offered, now I've got this huge bar across the top of my page that has things I harly ever use like translation, spellcheck.....let me try translation, one second please.

hmm dont work right, oh well, where you live? if your in sf I bet I can get it fixed, I'm not sure I can describe how though....you got any 16 or 17 year old innernet junkies around?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 07:23:23 PM »
I was having the same problem, I downloaded firefox mozilla and said yes to all the add ons and plug is they offered, now I've got this huge bar across the top of my page that has things I harly ever use like translation, spellcheck.....let me try translation, one second please.

hmm dont work right, oh well, where you live? if your in sf I bet I can get it fixed, I'm not sure I can describe how though....you got any 16 or 17 year old innernet junkies around?

When downloading plugins/addons, you must be careful to always unselect the box that is checked that offers to install Google/Yahoo/whatever toobars...

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 09:33:32 PM »
Speaking of weird youtube things. whenever I
go to www.youtube.com I get redirected to http://nl.youtube.com/
So for some reason It sends me to the netherlands version. I can't read the dam buttons.

I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 04:35:22 AM »
When downloading plugins/addons, you must be careful to always unselect the box that is checked that offers to install Google/Yahoo/whatever toobars...

great, now you tell me!

So for some reason It sends me to the netherlands version. I can't read the dam buttons.
Ask Fistful, its his fault, ya know

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2009, 09:01:14 AM »
Ask Fistful, its his fault, ya know
I should have suspected as much.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2009, 10:30:27 AM »

At one time not long ago I realized my bookmark was taking me to the UK version of the site. I still haven't figured out how I got it to do that, but after a bit of fumbling around I did figure out how to fix it.

If you're using a bookmark, delete it. If you're signed in, sign out. Close the tab/browser and open a new one or navigate away. Type youtube.com in the address box. When the page loads look beside the logo in the upper left and, because of where you are, you should see "Worldwide│English". You can sign in and bookmark from here and should be OK, or go through the whole dance and be certain of it. Your call.

If you want to do the full monty: Click on Worldwide and it'll ask you to choose content preference by country or select "Worldwide", click on English and it'll ask you to choose language preference. Set to Worldwide and US English. Now sign in and bookmark it and all should be copacetic in future.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »
Uhm...

Maybe your computer has more taste than you do? :D
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2009, 02:00:14 PM »
maybe someone cruel installed a parental control filter on his box
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »
See if these work:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1770138 I could watch it, but wished I had not!

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1823766  Again, could watch it but really wished I had not

http://www.wimp.com/creepyexperiment/ (No, it's not CG.  I've tried it before, and it works.)  Just got the circle thingy

http://www.wimp.com/flutecellist/  Again, just the circle thingy

Just in case... y'know... that it's YouTube's fault, and not your browser's.  =)

So now that we know I can watch stuff I really did not want to watch, and could not watch stuff that probably was awesomely kewel but I'll never know because I can't watch it -- what does that tell you geeks?

stay safe.

skidmark

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2009, 11:07:05 PM »
You probably clicked a youtube link to the Dutch version (happens to me with a link the the UK or German versions). I just clear history (as well as cache, cookies, etc) and go to youtube.com. Uncle Bubba's method works, too... but destroying things (history, cache, cookies) is more fun.  :lol:

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 06:42:35 AM »
So now that we know I can watch stuff I really did not want to watch, and could not watch stuff that probably was awesomely kewel but I'll never know because I can't watch it -- what does that tell you geeks?

stay safe.

=|
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 08:11:06 AM »
Hmm, youtube.com is a tricky site it seems... For some reason I can't login to youtube. I can watch vids but when I attempt to log in the page just reloads with blank fields. I'm using firefox 3.05. I can login with lousy internet explorer, but I'm not very fond of that browser.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"