Author Topic: where did that web site go?  (Read 679 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
where did that web site go?
« on: January 12, 2007, 09:23:34 AM »
There used to be a web site (either www.virginia1776.com or www.virginia1776.org or www.virginia1776.net) that was a treasure-trove of history, case law and general information on RKBA in Virginia.

Now all I get is some realestate title search firm.

I'm so computer-illiterate that it's a wonder I can post this.  I sure can't figure out how to find the missing web site.  I've heard of "cache pages" and such ilk, but have no idea how to find them.  The (so-called) help features on Google and Ask make me more confused than I already am.

Can anybody give me baby-step by baby-step directions that will let me find the electronic remnants of a web site that seems to no longer actively exist?

Much thanks in advance.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: where did that web site go?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »
you must be dis remembering the url cause:
http://www.archive.org/index.php
doesn't know any history for any of those urls

nothing shows up in a googling of "virginia1776"

if it was a big RKBA site,
someone would have posted a URL with that text string in it...

not bad:
http://www.virginiainstitute.org/publications/primer_on_const.php

theres always:
http://www.vcdl.org/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 10:10:14 AM »
I remember the site, but I can't remember the exact URL other than it was "virginia" and "1776" in some combination.  I don't recall it being a particularly big or useful site, mostly one of many ego sites on the web.

Chris

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 05:14:49 PM »

I remember the site, but I can't remember the exact URL other than it was "virginia" and "1776" in some combination.  I don't recall it being a particularly big or useful site, mostly one of many ego sites on the web.

Chris

*wipes sweat from brow*  At least I know I was not hallucinating about the web site.  All I can say about "usefullness" was that it was a repository of Virginia case law on RKBA and CCW, along with some interesting opinions on the history of CCW in Virginia.

If anybody has instructions on how to search for it, I'd appreciate you remembering that I need small & short words and not much jargon.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.