Author Topic: Now they're coming for your booze  (Read 2555 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Now they're coming for your booze
« on: August 24, 2023, 04:00:48 PM »
They can pry that bourbon bottle from my dead cold hands.....when it's empty.

Americans could officially be urged to drink no more than two beers a week as part of strict new alcohol guidelines.

Biden's health czar told DailyMail.com the USDA could revise its alcohol advice to match Canada's, where people are advised to have just two drinks per week.

Will they limit Hunter to two lines per week?

Biden's alcohol czar warns Americans could soon be told to limit themselves to just two beers per WEEK under strict new booze guidelines
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-12438233/Americans-limited-two-beers-strict-new-alcohol-guidelines-Bidens-booze-czar.html
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Now they're coming for your booze
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 04:41:32 PM »
You can only have more than your recommended amount if you first turn in your gas stove and gas water heater.

Oh, and only if you agree that white men are evil and you're actually 7,400 genders and you identify transneptunianprotolymphaticcisgenderhomoerotic.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 04:46:32 PM »
I rarely drink. As in, the last drink I had was a shot of aquavite at Castle Key's over the 4th of July holiday.

Before that, my last drink was probably at Christmas, also at Castle Key's.

But the concept that the United States has a dedicated Alcohol Czar is just anathema to me. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 06:25:15 PM »
How long before those guidelines become a regulation or a law?  It would, of course, be couched in language saying it's saving the Earf or other such nonsense.  Prohibition didn't go over very well the first time.  I doubt it will go well if our fed.gov jackwagons try to push something similar a second time.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2023, 09:27:27 PM »
Yeah, because prohibition worked so great last time.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 08:24:07 AM »
Yeah, because prohibition worked so great last time.
Time to start watching the TV show Moonshiners - and taking notes. (Although I wonder if the details on fermenting and distilling are as fake as the rest of the show.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2023, 08:56:36 AM »
I probably average less than two beers a week.  I may have to bump my drinking to 3 a week if this becomes reality. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2023, 09:38:38 AM »
I probably average less than two beers a week.  I may have to bump my drinking to 3 a week if this becomes reality.

I'm really inconsistent in my drinking.  It's mostly craft or premium beer, and like you I'll drink a couple a week.  Then I'll go weeks without drinking anything.  Once in a while I will go through a stretch where I have a beer or two for three or four days in a row.
I do need to buckle down and get a consistent beer swilling schedule set up.  Maybe even calendar reminders on my phone.  My current process just won't work in the upcoming government approval environment.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2023, 09:53:19 AM »
Now is not the time to quit drinking.   =(

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 10:02:27 AM »
I'm sure a two joints a/week guideline will be issued next
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 10:04:43 AM »
Time to start burying bourbon bottles?
- Calvin and Hobbes

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2023, 09:32:20 PM »
A glass of wine with supper every night.
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2023, 09:34:24 PM »
Time to start burying bourbon bottles?
If you're going to consider burying bourbon bottles now, how bad will things have to get before you decide it's time to dig them up?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2023, 10:08:22 PM »
Thems fighting words with the current crap state of the nation. If you come for my whiskey you will pay a price.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2023, 02:22:25 AM »
 I often wonder if I should not have quit drinking 28 yrs ago - but it's really to late to start again.
 if I owned property I would definitely distill whatever is the legal limit , as well as beer and wine, and grow whatever the legal limit for weed is.
all good for trade after the teotwawki.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2023, 03:30:15 AM »
Sparring exercise, training for the main event:  Repeal of the BOR, revamp of Constitution to allow only "privileges," never "rights."

This is just a left jab..... pun intended.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 26, 2023, 05:20:44 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2023, 10:43:25 AM »
  . . .  if I owned property I would definitely distill whatever is the legal limit , as well as beer and wine, and grow whatever the legal limit for weed is . . .
I know beer brewing and wine making are legal in limited quantities (I seem to remember 200 gal/year) but I don't know that distilled hooch is legal in any quantity. I remember there were all kinds of regulatory issues with farmers setting up stills to make "fuel" ethanol during the 1st gas crisis - part of the Federal government encouraged it, another part - the "revenooers" - objected.

As for weed - still illegal Federally, but AFAIK some states that legalized it allow limited growing for personal use, others don't because they want to collect taxes from pot shops. I understand a lot of low level dopers who aren't too far gone yet routinely grow just enough plants for their personal use, bypassing the taxed products at the (state legal) pot shops.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2023, 11:15:25 AM »
Any guidelines on cocaine use? 

*cough* Hunter *cough*
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2023, 12:42:25 PM »
It's another one of those things where I don't have a dog in the fight, but I object to the principles involved.

"They" are very good at setting up things to compartmentalize objections.  This enhances the chances of adoption.  Watch out for this ploy.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2023, 12:55:16 PM »
Any guidelines on cocaine use? 

*cough* Hunter *cough*
I think that is handled under Title 21 § 133.165.