Author Topic: Another idiotic public official flapping his gums  (Read 1008 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Another idiotic public official flapping his gums
« on: April 20, 2014, 12:29:39 AM »
Short story: Two Indianapolis police officers who had been married became ... not married. Female officer took out protective order against ex-husband. Ex-husband turned in his duty weapon, then broke into his ex-wife's home, killed her, and then committed suicide.

Story here: http://www.wthr.com/story/25278735/2014/04/17/two-impd-officers-dead-following-indianapolis-swat-situation?hpt=ju_bn2

Idiotic public official statement:

"Question is to whether or not she was safe, she was, in fact, we were protecting her. We also made sure with the protective order in addition to, provided protection to him," Hite said. "I think due diligence was done by detectives in both cases, making sure there was protection around him and her. There is some technology we used to make sure that happened."

Mate, if she was so bloody safe ... how is it that she's dead?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Re: Another idiotic public official flapping his gums
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 12:36:09 AM »
They keep using that word. I do na think it means what they think it means
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 01:38:58 AM »
GIMP^.... errrr IMPD* has pretty good bad recent history.  There's was Plowmand then the Brizzi golf cart incident, then Bisard killing 1 person and maiming 2 for life while on patrol and with a BAC of .19.  Along with several Narcotics officers convicted of bribery and shaking down/stealing from drug dealers, the Chief and head of IA have been forced to resign because of all the issues in the department.   Mayor Greg Ballard needs to clean house but has patched over the issues, and things continue to grow worse.

^- Once Unigov fully kicked in where Indianapolis and Marion county "merged" all their departments, I thought the police should have been called the Greater Indianapolis Metropolitan Police.  Alas, it was not to be.  ;) =D

* - Which we have taken to mean "I Must Patrol Drunk".  Given that several officers have had accidents/been busted for driving drunk on duty.   Bisard was the only one that managed to kill and injure people.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:48:04 AM »
I see this has been moved to The Politics Place, and I guess that's understandable given the direction discussion has taken. However, my intent in posting was not to be political or to single out the IMPD, but just to show another example of a stupid public official making a stupid statement when speaking in an official capacity.

Back in the immediate post-Nixon days, noted newsman Edwin Newman wrote a pair of books titled Strictly Speaking and A Civil Tongue in which he pointed out the degree of linguistic mayhem politicians and other officials committed when attempting to appear erudite in their public statements. That was a long time ago, and it seems that it must be time for someone to write a sequel. Certainly there is no dearth of worthy candidates, and the statement I cited is only one example.

Maybe we need a category here to collect such pithy aphorisms. We could call it "Stupid People Saying Stupid Things in Public" or something like that.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:13:44 AM »
Maybe we need a category here to collect such pithy aphorisms. We could call it "Stupid People Saying Stupid Things in Public" or something like that.

But we already have a Joe Biden thread.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »
But we already have a Joe Biden thread.  =)

Touché. Je cède.