Author Topic: Dielectric Heating  (Read 792 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Dielectric Heating
« on: December 01, 2007, 11:40:01 AM »
Does anyone know what radio frequencies cause dielectric heating?

Clearly the microwave range, (2.4-5 GHz) but what outside of that?

Thanks!

smiley

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Dielectric Heating
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 11:52:11 AM »
I'd guess that they all do, given enough transmit power.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 12:07:19 PM »
With or without the magnetic pulse wave?  grin

No, just kidding, I don't know...  angel
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 12:41:57 PM »
Depends on the resonant frequency of the object to be heated.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 12:58:31 PM »
We used to run March Plasmods in our forensics lab, to ash organic samples for analysis without flames. They have Pyrex vacuum chambers inside, with an RF coil antenna around the chamber, and a nice, high-output RF amplifier with separate power supply.  When the petri dish w/sample was pumped down to a given vacuum level, the RF was turned on, and a small amount of oxygen bled into the chamber, not enough to overwhelm the Alcatel turbopump, but enough to combust the sample with a beautiful plasma glow. 

After a few hours in this environment, you'd have a petri dish with nothing but ash inside, ready for density separation and other chemical processing. 

This is an example of one:

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 01:00:26 PM »
Depends on the resonant frequency of the object to be heated.

Brad

Interesting.  For my purposes, organic materials and water.  (If that's not vague enough...)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 01:22:25 PM »
Hmm...

Don't have any of my old texts around, but I seem to remember the true resonant frequency of water is actually in the thousands of GHz (a couple terahertz).  If memory serves, the reason that the 2.45 GHz frequency (microwave ovens in the U.S.) heat anything with water content is that it happens to be a harmonic of the full resonant wave. 

I'm sure, given enough energy, just about any frequency would create some kind of heating.  That much energy can't be absorbed by water or anything organic without something happening.

Again, it's been a couple of decades since I really delved into it and my soon-to-be 40 yr old memory may not be dredging up the proper information.  Others with better info, please chime in now...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 06:12:34 PM »

Interesting.  For my purposes, organic materials and water.  (If that's not vague enough...)
Good God, man!  What on earth are you building now?!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 06:24:12 PM »
 laugh

He's kinda like Stewie, coming up with a new evil plan every couple days or so...

Harmonics, I'm getting off on a tangent but harmonics is why digital recording will NEVER sound as good as analog. The number of harmonics in any musical tone are infinite. The number of bits storing the info digitally is not. Plain and simple. The easiest place to hear this is the cymbals. Like the high hat. They lose so much in the lack of harmonics that they sound like a hiss instead of the ringing tone a cymbal produces live. An analog recording will pick up ALL the harmonics, not just the ones it chooses to. Ahhh, I feel better now.  grin

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Len Budney

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 04:36:06 AM »
All radio energy causes some level of heating. What you're interested in is the specific absorption rate, which depends on frequency. Microwaves, in general, have the highest SAR.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 05:17:57 AM »
All radio energy causes some level of heating. What you're interested in is the specific absorption rate, which depends on frequency. Microwaves, in general, have the highest SAR.

--Len.

That's interesting, but I'm having trouble finding any solid data amongst the cell phone fear mongers.  What I'd really like to find is a whole body SAR vs. frequency chart spanning for the low megahertz into the hundreds of gigahertz.

Len Budney

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 06:59:18 AM »
... cell phone fear mongers... What I'd really like to find is a whole body SAR vs. frequency chart spanning for the low megahertz into the hundreds of gigahertz.

*cough* You're welcome.

Now that you know what SAR is, you have a good chance of finding the answer to your question. I did attempt to find you such a chart. I spent about a minute looking, which appears to be longer than you spent. It looks like you clicked a couple links at the bottom of the Wikipedia article and that's it.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 08:10:04 AM »
 smiley

Thank you Len, I do appreciate you answering the question, that is exactly what I'm looking for.  I'll keep digging.