Author Topic: Men, women and cars  (Read 3035 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Men, women and cars
« on: September 06, 2009, 11:21:35 AM »
I'm sure we've all read the internet jokes comparing cars to wives ("I got a car for my wife; best trade I ever made"). However, there's something about the mix of wives and cars that can sometimes be very volatile.

I've noticed a bit of jealousy on my wife's part over the years with various cars I've had, but nothing like she's showing toward the Mustang I got earlier this year. I've really been taken aback by it.

The cars I've had before were either fun British sports cars or very utilitarian sedans. The Mustang, though, is flash. The metallic red is about as subtle as a five-alarm fire, and the lowered body, chrome wheels and body accents make it even less subtle.

The last time I saw this level of hostility from my wife toward anything was back when we were dating other people, and I was seeing a cute blonde who took pleasure in getting my wife's goat.

I've been mulling over the reasons my wife is behaving as she is, and have reached some conclusions, all of which she would, of course, deny.

My wife is now in her fifties. While still attractive, she doesn't draw stares from guys anymore. The car, on the other hand, draws a lot of stares from guys of all ages.

Menopause, too, has taken its toll. Cars don't get menopause. Getting incredible performance is just a matter of stepping on the gas pedal.

Properly cared for, the car will hardly age. It will still be flashy ten years from now.

Of course, the car is just metal and plastic, and can be replaced with an identical model. Not so with my wife.

Nonetheless, the jealousy is almost palpable. I'm very fastidious with the car, but I do my cleaning and polishing when my wife isn't around, as she resents the attention I give it.

If this were 1970, she'd love riding in it, as it would just be one more way to have guys looking at her. Now she doesn't want to ride in it. I suspect she doesn't want the attention.

This isn't easy to deal with now, so what's it going to be like in a couple of years when I put in a supercharger that increases the horsepower from 300 to 450?  :O

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Men, women and cars
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »
Maybe you could buy her a skate board.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 11:46:30 AM »
I think it time, to build or buy her dream car.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 11:52:07 AM »
I think it time, to build or buy her dream car.

Back on Christmas of 2003 I surprised her with a brand new PT Cruiser. She had wanted one ever since they were introduced, and she still loves it. I've been getting her extras for it, such as a chrome grille, chrome belt line trim, chrome fender spears, and chrome moon hubcaps. Once we're moved down south, we'll be getting wide whitewall tires for it. She loves that car.

The difference is that I'm not jealous of the car. Once we get the move out of the way, not to mention Wisconsin winters, I need to buff out the paint to make it look brand new again.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:29:21 PM »
Do you dote on her anywhere near as much as the new 'Stang?

Think about it...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 04:01:27 PM »
This isn't easy to deal with now, so what's it going to be like in a couple of years when I put in a supercharger that increases the horsepower from 300 to 450?  :O

I trust your garage is large enough to accommodate both the car and a cot?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 05:51:48 PM »
Do you dote on her anywhere near as much as the new 'Stang?

You tell me. Besides giving her gifts like the car and other things that require effort on my part to please her, there's the massive efforts I've made to fulfill her dream to move to the south. I promised her five years ago that we would make the move, and told her last year to pick the place she wants to live.

She's been doubtful all along that the move would happen, so each time I tell her that another step in the process has been completed, she's really excited. The trip the week before last from Jonesboro through MS into Huntsville AL and on to Knoxville gave us the info we needed to decide where to move. She now knows where we're going to live, and she's really excited.

Is this where I want to live? Not exactly. Utah would be my first choice, and she knows it.

So, is all of this "doting"?

Beyond that, I do a lot of other things for her in the way of small favors and efforts to make her happy.

If, by doting, you mean romantic attention, then the answer would be no or very little. She's not interested.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 05:54:58 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, Dick.

Just trying to figure out the source of jealousy/resentment. 

If there wasn't jealousy before the 'Stang, I'd definitely be doing a root cause analysis with that as a factor. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 06:40:10 PM »
Don't shoot the messenger, Dick.

Was I coming across as harsh? Sorry, I didn't mean to.

I've been talking for years about getting a Mustang, and had planned to get one after we moved south. This one was such a good deal that I couldn't let it pass. I talked it over with my wife, and she agreed I should get it. She hadn't seen it at that point.

I picked the car up from the dealer on 12/31 and drove it to the storage place. My wife met me there to give me a ride home. Her first comment when I got into her car was, "boy, that's really flashy. I wasn't expecting it to look like that."

I took the car out of storage on 4/1 and put the chrome wheels and wide tires on it. After that I asked my wife several times over the course of a couple of months if she wanted to go for a ride, but she always had some reason to say no. I thought that alone was weird.

My neighbor has mentioned that his wife is jealous of his car and motorcycle. She readily admits it.

Weird.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 06:41:01 PM »
Does your wife have a hobby?  Friends?  Something to occupy her time when you're working on cars?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 07:27:48 PM »
Can you talk her into driving it?

My mom loves her 'Stang GT convertible. 

Maybe your wife was putting her best face forward by her tacit endorsement of the 'Stang, in a "Whatever makes you happy, Dear" sort of way?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 09:18:17 PM »
Richard!!  You are trying to understand your wife.  She is a woman.  It. Is. A. Lost. Cause.

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 10:30:41 PM »
Do you ever rub her feet?

Draw her a bath?

If she's cranky and everything gets twisted/negative, you might need to just surprise her with it.

Write her a letter/love letter?

The "big stuff" may not be what she's hurting for.
I promise not to duck.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 10:47:56 PM »
She doesn't drive stick. Never has, never will. I've tried to teach her many times, but she has no interest.

Her endorsement of the purchase was fine. She said that she didn't like creating another bill, so I paid off a credit card in full. That left us with just the mortgage payment. After that, she was fine with me getting the Mustang.

It's the car that represents something, but I don't know what. I'm certain that if it were a more sedate-looking car, there wouldn't be an issue (assuming there is). This is very unusual.

Fly320's, my days of working on cars are over. Too many broken parts on me. The only work I'm doing besides cleaning is adding a few new parts here and there. Nothing major (yet).

Besides, pretty much all the cash I can lay my hands on is going toward the house, getting it ready to sell.

I didn't mean for this to evolve into a discussion about my marriage. I just thought it was interesting how women can react to cars, and the reasons for their reactions.

taurusowner

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »
It's interesting how she's fine with the PT Cruiser and how much you put into customizing that for her.  A car that's not for her on the other hand...

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 11:38:15 PM »
It's interesting how she's fine with the PT Cruiser and how much you put into customizing that for her.  A car that's not for her on the other hand...

She's neither petty nor selfish. It's not about that.

The car is a threat to her, either as a threat to her self esteem or as a mistress of sorts.

I'm surprised no other guys have said they've experienced something like this with their wives. I've talked to enough motorheads over the years that I know the jealousy exists.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 12:04:42 AM »
Just a wild guess, but since she was taken aback by the "flashiness" of the car - could there be a nagging thought in her mind that you bought it because you wanted to get attention from other women? 

Not that I have a solution in mind, if that is the case.   =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 12:26:43 AM »
...you wanted to get attention from other women?

If we had a photo gallery on this forum, you'd know the answer to that question. My days of being able to get  attention ended decades ago.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 12:40:00 AM »
If we had a photo gallery on this forum, you'd know the answer to that question. My days of being able to get  attention ended decades ago.
Worries need not be based in the rational realm.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 12:40:18 AM »
Which could mean you want a flashy car just to feel attractive again.  Besides, your wife probably thinks you're a little more attractive than you do.  And your success in attracting women might not be as important to her as the idea that you want to attract other women. 

Anyway, being too rational about all this may not be that helpful in figuring out what sort of subconcious insecurities she might possibly be struggling with. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 12:56:03 AM »
Fistful speaks true.

Maybe she thinks the 'Stang is a chick magnet, and the primary reason you bought it.

Dumber things have happened...

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 05:04:15 AM »
Wow... I'm going to agree with fistful? Dick, what have you done?!?!?!?

Seriously though: it sounds like she is having an irrational reaction to the car. And you're trying to rationalize your way through it?

Dude: oil and water. You're trying to mix unmixy things!

Wish I could offer some actual advice bro...

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 11:47:32 AM »
Can you talk her into driving it?

Only if he wants to lose the car to her....she may adopt it the way some women adopt their SO's firearms....  =D

ML: I'm with G98 on another point....you may want to review how much time & care you give her interests in comparison to what you give to the car. She may feel somewhat neglected....

What does she like to do?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 12:01:46 PM »
She doesn't drive stick. Never has, never will. I've tried to teach her many times, but she has no interest.

My wife didn't either until we looked at a vehicle she wanted to drive.

Chris

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 12:34:52 PM »
I've been over this several times with my counselor, and he's agreeing that the car is a threat to her somehow.

As for it being a threat as a chick magnet, that doesn't work because my wife knows I don't cheat. Never have, never will. She never objected one bit to me leaving for a couple of weeks alone on my motorcycle trips. She worried about my safety, but never my fidelity.

She's never said a thing about my motorcycle and still doesn't. If anything she encourages me to get out and ride more than I do.