Author Topic: This oughta warm your cockles...  (Read 4600 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
This oughta warm your cockles...
« on: January 27, 2011, 07:42:52 AM »
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/26/utah-may-adopt-a-state-gun/?hpt=T2

Utah has a state flower, a state fossil, a state cooking pot and 21 other official symbols. It might soon add a state gun.

The state House passed a measure Wednesday, by a 51-19 vote, that would make the Browning M1911 pistol - designed by Utah’s John Moses Browning in the early 20th century - the state firearm. The bill now goes to the state Senate.

The bill's sponsor, Republican Rep. Carl Wimmer, has said the measure aims to honor Browning. His M1911 was used as a standard U.S. Army sidearm from 1911 to 1985, according to the Browning manufacturing company's website and Jane's Infantry Weapons.

The measure has attracted criticism from anti-gun activists and some state House members. Some lawmakers argued in debate Wednesday that it was insensitive after the January 8 shooting in Tucson, Arizona, that killed six and wounded 13, including U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

One state lawmaker, Democratic Rep. Carol Moss, said during Wednesday's debate on the House floor that in addition to her concerns regarding the Arizona shooting, she was worried that children would see things such as coloring books featuring the gun along with the other state symbols, the Tribune reported.

Steve Gunn of the Gun Violence Prevention Center told CNN affiliate KSL last month - before the Tuscon shooting - that he thought the proposal was in bad taste.

"I would nominate arsenic as our state poison, because, of course arsenic is often a byproduct of our state mining industry," Gunn sarcastically told KSL in December.

Wimmer told KSL this week that "this pistol is Utah," and its history "is emblazoned on our state." He added that rather than gloryfying an implement of death, as he said some critics charged, "we're glorifying an implement of freedom that has defended us for 100 years."

During Wednesday's debate, one lawmaker suggested erecting a statue of Browning instead, but Wimmer countered that his plan was the only way to honor the gun designer without costing taxpayers, the Tribune reported
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: This oughta warm your cockles...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 08:14:24 AM »
The ninnies are wetting themselves over it.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 08:33:07 AM »
The ninnies are wetting themselves over it.
Which is why, if and when it's signed into law and becomes official, I'm going to write my state rep and suggest we do something along the same lines here in Texas.   =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »
Well, I do live in CT, a good case could be made for the Colt .45 here as well. Did I mention I have one, a 1966 or thereabouts, all custom and stuff. It's so beautiful...  :'(

:lol:

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »
Which is why, if and when it's signed into law and becomes official, I'm going to write my state rep and suggest we do something along the same lines here in Texas.   =D

The Walker Colt for Texas?

Walker Colt Pistol
Samuel Hamilton Walker

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 01:13:34 PM »
^My thought as well.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 01:55:52 PM »
Does virginia have a gun?

I wnat a state gun....

Oh, oh, oh..

State gun collections instead of quarters   =D
 [ar15]
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 02:17:01 PM »
yesterday the cable news fascist were all whining about it.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 03:40:21 PM »
Utah has a state flower, a state fossil, a state cooking pot and 21 other official symbols. It might soon add a state gun.

I'm the Colorado State Fossil.

As I said on another site, I hope they can get it done by March 29th.

I don't have a problem with redundancies in the State Guns.  If CT want to use the 1911 too, that's OK by me.

Trying to think what might be an appropriate gun for Colorado.  Buffalo gun of some kind?  Colt "Peacemaker" or "Equalizer," as long as they are labeled as such?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:45:40 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 10:23:02 PM »
Put me down for another vote for Connecticut for the M1911.  While there has been quite a bit of outsourcing lately, including the impending loss of Marlin, at least Colt is still in Hartford.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 10:54:24 PM »
Lucky bastards...

And stay away from my cockles.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 10:55:33 PM »
Pennsylvania gets the Kentucky Rifle. lulz

New Jersey gets the Colt Paterson.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 11:10:16 PM »
Arizona?

Hmm.  Gotta be a single action.  I've always heard that the 1851 Colt Navy was the predominant gun in the west, even after the S&W patent on the cartridge cylinder finally wore out.

We have a Ruger plant here, but it's the crappy plant... not the good one.  The one that makes their semiauto pistols. ;/

We DO have Smith Enterprises here... can I propose the M14 as the Arizona State Gun?  The AZ territorial shooting team, prior to our acceptance into Statehood, actually designed our State Flag since they went to Camp Perry without a flag to represent them.  Seems fitting that a good service rifle have something to do with our heritage.  Of course, that was 1912 and the M14 and the M1 Garand were several decades away.

http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/flags/az_flag.htm

I've never seen a picture of the flag made for the 1910 Territorial Rifle Team, but I'd love to if anyone else has found a picture ever.  I'm curious if it's identical to the current State flag, or what design elements changed slightly, if any.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2011, 05:35:33 AM »
Any opinions out there on how Colt is doing quality wise since the big strike ans subsequent firing of all the old union employees? I want to say 1985-ish. Last I heard their ARs still cost an arm and two legs. But people wanted them and were willing to pay.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2011, 09:26:50 AM »

Why wait?
Look, tiny text!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 10:02:37 AM »
We have a Ruger plant here, but it's the crappy plant... not the good one.  The one that makes their semiauto pistols. rolleyes

Hey!  I have a P93DC that shoots ok.  Granted it is sloppy and feels like it was carved out of a cinder block..  is unergonomic..  way heavier than it needs to be.. magazine release and slide releases are not in comfortable spots..  but I like it!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:08:12 AM by 41magsnub »

280plus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
"Other than that it's not too bad..."  :laugh:

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »
Any opinions out there on how Colt is doing quality wise since the big strike ans subsequent firing of all the old union employees? I want to say 1985-ish. Last I heard their ARs still cost an arm and two legs. But people wanted them and were willing to pay.
Reports from people who see lots of ARs say Colts are still top quality, but now, the same quality can be had for less money.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »
One of our part-timers just finished up an inglorious stint working for Colt's internal security.  Labor issues notwithstanding, he was very impressed with the quality of all of their current products.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »
The Walker Colt for Texas?

Walker Colt Pistol
Samuel Hamilton Walker

Nah...Texas should get the S&W Schofield or the Colt 1978 Lightning/Thunderer revolvers....favorite guns of John Wesley Hardin....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 07:23:53 AM »
Nah...Texas should get the S&W Schofield or the Colt 1978 Lightning/Thunderer revolvers....favorite guns of John Wesley Hardin....

John Wesley rode in the future?  Or was Colt really ahead of their time?   :O [tinfoil]  :facepalm:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 10:04:41 AM »
Nah...Texas should get the S&W Schofield or the Colt 1978 1877 Lightning/Thunderer revolvers....favorite guns of John Wesley Hardin....

....grumble...grumble.......meddling date Nazis........grumble...grumble...   ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 11:59:38 PM »

Don't wait; get it in now or it'll have to wait until the 2013 session.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2011, 12:41:04 AM »
Reports from people who see lots of ARs say Colts are still top quality, but now, the same quality can be had for less money.

I don't consider around $1100 or so (saw Colts selling for under a grand for a short period in the past couple of years) to be an extravagant amount, but lots of people don't acknowledge the real selling prices of Colt. Colt also quietly dropped the stupid different pin sizes, too, so they are becoming more and more friendly to the civilian market.

Bravo Company and Daniel Defense offer equivalent quality for a bit less, but also important, offer more options and are very flexible.

I think SC state gun needs to be either the M240 or the M2...you know, since we make them in Columbia now...maybe we could have state guns...the whole FN product line that is made in Columbia. I think they should all be for sale at a discount to SC residents...
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 12:45:22 AM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2011, 04:37:01 AM »
Didn't know that Colt changed to the common pin size. Good info.

I do agree that BCM and DD make rifles that are as good as the Colts, maybe better, that can cost less than Colts. I am very happy with my one BCM upper and lots of other BCM parts on my SBR.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?