Author Topic: Sucker Punch  (Read 6407 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Sucker Punch
« on: June 29, 2011, 06:55:08 PM »
Recently bought this and watched it. Amazing! They could, and should, turn the whole second fantasy battle into it's own movie. It was just pure awesome. That whole scene was like a WW1, steam punk, badassery. [ar15] It also looked like they had some good training. And they themselves were not to bad on the eyes either,  =D Anybody else see this movie? What did you think?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
Re: Sucker Punch
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 09:25:31 PM »
I saw it in the theaters, and really enjoyed it as something that was quite a bit different then standard fare.  I will be buying the blue-ray here in a little bit.

I have to say though, while the ending worked for the film, I didn't really like it.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:39:20 PM »
Watched it this weekend- wife was flipping through channels and stopped on this one while I was reading. I ended up watching the movie and she left he room because she couldn't stand it.  Weird movie but so full of enough awesomeness that I had to watch it twice.

That whole scene was like a WW1, steam punk, badassery

And it had some pretty cool music to match.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »
It's based on a comic book.

And yes, it is awesome.  =D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
Awesome. One of my threads has been necroed. I feel so special =D "Badassery", lol, I need to use that word more often. It's been a while since I've seen this movie. I need to watch it again.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:32:21 PM »
I saw it and feel weird about it.
I liked most of the fantasy fight scenes and the music.
However, the backstories were unpleasant.
I hated when you-know-who killed you-know-whats, and all except one animated feature makes the heroes out to be bad guys.
The costumes were geared toward (immature?) males.
The whole movie had a living anime feel to it.
For me, the film is uncomfortable to watch, but I keep watching it over and over.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »
Yes it is uncomfortable to watch- its very dark with no happy endings.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »
How are they made out to be bad guys?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 09:14:50 PM »
I liked the coustuming. It was very anime, which akes sense given it's graphic novel beginings.  ;/

I get so annoyed at those kind of complants about movies that are supposed to look like that. Like people bitching that UltraViolet looked like "anime" like it was a bad thing. Yeah, except that was the intention of the creaters.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 09:28:58 PM »
I liked the coustuming. It was very anime, which akes sense given it's graphic novel beginings.  ;/

I get so annoyed at those kind of complants about movies that are supposed to look like that. Like people bitching that UltraViolet looked like "anime" like it was a bad thing. Yeah, except that was the intention of the creaters.

Oh... I thought Ultraviolet was just bad.

My mistake.  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 09:31:37 PM »
Oh... I thought Ultraviolet was just bad.

My mistake.  :laugh:

It becomes signifgently better if you turn off the sound.

It's an awesome Looking movie. Just the acting, plot and pretty much everything else suck.  :laugh:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 09:47:36 PM »
This looks like it might be okay.

Seems a bit "too soon" to do a re-make of the Schwarzenegger flick, but then I think back to how cheesey that was...

http://www.welcometorecall.com/

http://www.welcometorekall.com/

I'm guessing the "c" and the "k" is an allusion to the two different realities.
I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:33 PM »

Seems a bit "too soon" to do a re-make of the Schwarzenegger flick, but then I think back to how cheesey that was...

Its not just an arnie movie. It's a Phillip K. Dick story.

so, finally, I can watch all the phillip k. dick books made into movie without suffering through the "guvonator".

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 10:28:12 PM »
I saw the opening scenes and later half of it last night while channel-hopping. It was mainly the train wreck factor, couldn't stop watching because I had no idea WTF. Steampunk Germans getting killed by little girls with modern automatic weapons and/or tomahawks, katanas, broadswords, walking robots ,etc. I quickly grasped it was derived from some sort of graphic novel. I want to see the whole thing now. A rather healthy 1911 obsession too.

So, anime meets steampunk meets film noir meets WTF. Yeah, everyone's favorite genre!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:50:04 PM »
Its not just an arnie movie. It's a Phillip K. Dick story.

so, finally, I can watch all the phillip k. dick books made into movie without suffering through the "guvonator".

Well, I sort of think "A Scanner Darkly" ever really captured the psychedelic paranoia of PKD's works. This will still be pretty clowny action as compared to anything he wrote save maybe Blade Runner, and even that discarded tons of the material for a straighter version of the story.
I promise not to duck.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 12:28:13 AM »
It becomes signifgently better if you turn off the sound.

It's an awesome Looking movie. Just the acting, plot and pretty much everything else suck.  :laugh:
I thought it was a neat movie, but some of the fight scenes were a bit too choreographed.  It is supposed to be fighting, not dancing (or at least look like it isn't dancing).  Made parts of it a bit hard to watch for me.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 12:36:06 AM »
This one was better.

And this is fighting that looks like dancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8R9GiLImSw#t=5m45s
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:42:52 AM by fistulllllllllll »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 02:19:15 AM »
How are they made out to be bad guys?

*** SPOILER ALERT ****

From the bonus features animations...
In "Dragon", they just jump down in the midst of a war between human knights & orcs, and they kill all species indescriminately.  =|
The cartoon made me feel bad for the orcs.
In "Trenches", the cartoon did the seemingly impossible in making a dead Nazi steampunk creature seem sympathetic.
He was a soldier who died amidst memory-dreams of his wife and child...twice.
In "Distant Planet" the robot-things the girls slaughtered were fighting oppression and for their freedom.

I liked the coustuming. It was very anime, which akes sense given it's graphic novel beginings.  ;/

The movie looking like living anime wasn't a complaint on my part, just an observation.
So quit rolling your eyes at me.  :lol:
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 08:14:04 AM »
I thought it was a neat movie, but some of the fight scenes were a bit too choreographed.  It is supposed to be fighting, not dancing (or at least look like it isn't dancing).  Made parts of it a bit hard to watch for me.

It was dancing.  Ultraviolet was the further evolution of the "Gun Kata" from Equalibrium.  Same fight guy and choreographer.  In Equalibrium they at least made a point at the begining to explain that the fight style WAS a choreographed dance.  I guess they couldn't figure out how to work that into the plot of UV.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 09:33:16 AM »
I sort of hesitated to put it that way as all movie fight scenes are choreographed.  Their goal should be to make it seem real and make one side.  I think there was one scene where a bunch of guys are standing around in a circle around someone and shoot themselves.  Another where the heroeine is sword fighting 30 people and all 30 of them are moving together as if they are in some ballet.  I guess I need to drink more if I end up watching it again.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »
I sort of hesitated to put it that way as all movie fight scenes are choreographed.  Their goal should be to make it seem real and make one side.  I think there was one scene where a bunch of guys are standing around in a circle around someone and shoot themselves.  Another where the heroeine is sword fighting 30 people and all 30 of them are moving together as if they are in some ballet.  I guess I need to drink more if I end up watching it again.

It's a fight SCENE, not an actual fight. It's fiction, thus it IS dance. The idea is to create visual appeal, and the majority of action movies with fight scenes *choreographed* by martial artists are more dance then fight. The fights are an extention of the character and need to further the story.
If your seeing a movie that is supposed to be realistic, "dancelike" fight scenes is a valid issue, but anything else and... Well, it's the directors discression and sometimes dance fits their vision better.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »
Well, I sort of think "A Scanner Darkly" ever really captured the psychedelic paranoia of PKD's works. This will still be pretty clowny action as compared to anything he wrote save maybe Blade Runner, and even that discarded tons of the material for a straighter version of the story.

What about Screamers? That one is,actually my favorite, even though the end creeps me the *expletive deleted*ck out.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 12:24:28 PM »

I was going to tell you to "get your ass to Mars" but from the trailer, it doesn't look like they go there this time?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
I was going to tell you to "get your ass to Mars" but from the trailer, it doesn't look like they go there this time?

In the original PKD novella, "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" Quail (I'm assuming they made it Quaid to "butch" it up a bit for the movie..) did have a spy mission to, or for, Mars that are supposedly uncovered by the false vacation memories he bought, or perhaps the spy memories he's having just are the ones he did purchase.

Either way, any trips to Mars in the story, if real, were in the past, and not covered in the narrative.

He then escapes the .gov trying to kill him to keep his secrets (if that's really happening) and he then gets away, makes a deal they won't kill him if he agrees to get his memories erased again, and replaced with his deepest wish, that he somehow stopped a Mars invasion as a child. Then the same thing happens again, trying to implant the memory uncovers now that this memory is also actually true too.

Of course, it gets more and more fantastical, so you're left wondering if he really is just going insane and something went wrong with the implanted memories or not. Or if it even matters if the reality is 'real enough' for him etc.

So not going to Mars is possibly more in line with the actual source story.

(I always thought it would have been a blast to sit down near PKD somewhere in public with a friend, pretend we didn't know him, or recognize him, then have a conversation he could overhear, where in matter of fact tones, we discussed "Getting clearance to participate in Reality - Level 5, and what we thought about the Centaurans lobbying "The Department" to allow their presence known to at least Reality - Level 3, but obviously "The Minister" wouldn't allow it. And maybe something about "All the people who thought they were dead from WWIII, on Level 1, but really weren't."  >:D )
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »

I'm a sucker for "what is reality?" movies, so I think I'll probably enjoy it.

I've read a fair amount of PKD, and didn't care that much for the written work. I wanted to like them, but dude, that guy must have done basically every drug ever made. Virtually every movie from his work, I liked more than the original book or short story.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.