Author Topic: Sucker Punch  (Read 6406 times)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Sucker Punch
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 05:58:55 PM »
I'm a sucker for "what is reality?" movies, so I think I'll probably enjoy it.

I've read a fair amount of PKD, and didn't care that much for the written work. I wanted to like them, but dude, that guy must have done basically every drug ever made. Virtually every movie from his work, I liked more than the original book or short story.

Yes, it's not always the most readable style depending on your brain type. I have very good recall of many novels and stories I've read. PKD's stuff is pretty fuzzy for me, because the whole scrambled narrative of "I'm real... You're not real. He's real. They're not real. I'm not real either. You're under arrest by the conspiracy that's real/not-real! But it's okay because you're now sucked into some even bigger real/not-real delusion/conspiracy...." is kind of hurtful on the old brain now and again.

And yes, I've never seen a truly "bad" movie based on his work. Some have suffered from low budget (Screamers/Second Variety), and others from 'meh' marketing, or the ideas got mined out too much already, Like the rather good, but forgotten "Impostor" with Gary Sinese.

I promise not to duck.