Author Topic: Thoughts on motor scooters  (Read 14580 times)

mgdavis

• friend
Re: Thoughts on motor scooters
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 06:59:03 PM »
One of the motorcycle dealers over here has Kymco scooters. I might drop by tomorrow to see what kind of inventory they have at the moment. I think they had a 250 a few weeks ago.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
Some thoughts- the advantages of a scooter- lots of storage under the seat, chairlike riding position favorable to street clothes (nothing nicer than a fishnet stocking ,high heeled Italian scooter chick!) and an automatic tranny.  Aprilia, represented by Moto Int, is one of the largest scooter manufacturers in the world. 
 Models up to 500 cc.  The Suzuki burgman is cool too.
 I do not know what to expect for fuel economy from a scooter, but a lightweight motorcycle will do 50-70 mpg. 

LAK

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 01:50:23 AM »
*duplicate*

LAK

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 02:14:50 AM »

Aprilia make a pretty nice scooter.

Don't know if these are available stateside;
Maxis, on the other hand, are a different breed. Bigger and more powerful than your typical scooter, the maxi is designed to take the advantages of the twist & go scooter  such as convenience, carrying capacity, ease of use and miserly fuel economy  and extend them into motorcycle territory by adding the ability to comfortably travel outside city limits, either one or two-up
http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-169-maximum-overdrive.aspx

One consideration about scooters though; the small wheel diameter makes for less stability than a motorcycle with large diameter wheels. Consider a motorcycle with a four-stroke twin in the 400 to 500cc class; enough HP and torque for most roads and loads, along with good fuel economy. I would go for something like a Suzuki GS500

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 03:24:29 AM »
There seems to be a major hole: lots of 50 cc, a few 125 cc by Yamaha, and then it goes up to a minimum of 400 cc with the Suzuki.  If I am overlooking any reputable brands and models, please let me know.

I think the deal is that 50cc doesn't require a motorcycle license in many areas; so from a regulatory standpoint they're a 'sweet spot'.

125cc is good for anything in a city - 45mph or so.  People wishing for highway speed capability probably trade up to the 400cc a lot.

50cc - 25mph
125cc - 45 mph, 2.5 times the displacement.
400cc - 75 mph, 3.2 times the displacement.  A 250 might be a relative 'dog' at highway speeds, and it might not be 'that much' money for the extra power.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 07:11:56 AM »
Leaving work last night, it just so happened that there was a Kymco "People 250" parked next to my bike. It looked ok, although I noticed that it definitely did not possess an over-abundance of cornering clearance. I also saw that the forks extended 4-5 inches past the front axle, which seemed odd.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 07:17:34 AM »
Personally; I'd stick with a Honda CB250.

1. It's a Honda - in general they make good stuff.
2. 250cc is small and light enough to get good fuel economy and my maneuvrable.
3. It will hold 65mph and it totally interstate legal.
4. You can get them pretty cheap used (Don't know if that's still true.)

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 07:26:47 AM »
Personally; I'd stick with a Honda CB250.

1. It's a Honda - in general they make good stuff.
2. 250cc is small and light enough to get good fuel economy and my maneuvrable.
3. It will hold 65mph and it totally interstate legal.
4. You can get them pretty cheap used (Don't know if that's still true.)

+1. I'm riding my sister-in-law's Rebel 250 for the summer, which isn't much different than the Nighthawk, maybe a bit more upright riding position. I weigh ~160 and it has enough power to merge into traffic, and while not an ideal freeway bike, can certainly maintain freeway speeds. It's perfect for my mostly surface street, just a bit of freeway (if I so choose) commute. A bigger bike would just get worse fuel mileage, which is about the only reason I'm riding and considering buying my own next year. If I had to do a lot of freeway driving I might consider moving up to the smallest Honda Shadow; but for my commute the 250 is perfect.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2008, 07:37:28 AM »
I am going to go look at a local 2004 Aprilia Scarbeo 500 with about 4500 miles on it.  The owner says it has never crashed or been laid down.  He wants $ 5000 for it.  Any thoughts about this?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2008, 07:57:28 AM »
It looks like a sweet ride. I like the integrated trunk. I didn't see anything but positive feedback during a brief search. $5000 seems steep, MSRP appears to have been $6,500. It's Italian, so parts will be expensive. I'd be comfortable purchasing it, pending actually seeing it in person. The 16" wheels are a bonus, they should make it more stable and open up choices for tires.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2008, 08:12:09 AM »
If I like it, I may try to see if I can shave something off the price.  I have heard from several local shops that due to demand, they are not negotiating off of most scooter prices, and in fact can get more than MSRP.  Interesting, if true.

Also of note, there is an Aprilia dealer close by to me, so service and parts should not be too bad.  Ride Motorsports in Woodinville carries them.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2008, 08:40:42 PM »
One consideration about scooters though; the small wheel diameter makes for less stability than a motorcycle with large diameter wheels. Consider a motorcycle with a four-stroke twin in the 400 to 500cc class; enough HP and torque for most roads and loads, along with good fuel economy. I would go for something like a Suzuki GS500.

Here's my biggest problem with motorcycles: They're better than I am.

I'm 42, and I've never ridden a motorcycle in my life.  My reflexes aren't shot, but they aren't what they were when I was 20, either.  Even a 250 cc motorcycle can take me onto the highway.  The biggest question is, do I belong on the highway?  If I need to get on the highway, I'd much rather do it whilst inside a vehicle.  A scooter, OTOH, has fairly well-defined limitations.  The Kymco 150 has "55 mph" on the speedometer, but I'm sure it would be a long trip there from 45 mph.  So, if I'm on a scooter, I don't get on the highway.

Yes, I understand that city driving is statistically more perilous than highway, and maybe this scooter thing for me is a bad idea.  I don't know, but that's why I'm going to take a safety class before I commit any green.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 12:23:37 AM »
My first bike was a Honda GL1000 - I'd never ridden a bike before either, and was talked into trying the GL1000 by my girlfriend's stepfather. Once I tried it I realized it was not as difficult to handle and manoeuver as I had anticipated. Don't be intimidated by a moderately sized motorcycle.

Certainly statistically more scooter and motorcycle accidents happen off the highways as opposed to on them. My own experiences bear this out. I've covered countless thousands of miles on about a half dozen big bikes - commuting to work, short trips, long trips and touring. Three collisions in about ten years; all at less than 50 mph on minor or city roads.

First was an off-duty german cop who made a U-turn in front of me at night on a city street, second was an "escaped" sheep in farm country, third was a man with family on a minor road near an intersection who tried to swing a quick U-turn, didn't clear the curb and abruptly "appeared" in front of me "parked" as it were across the lane. It is possible, perhaps arguable, I could have avoided all three had I been excercizing more caution. Riding a scooter in all three instances would not have helped me.

One general cause of motorcycle (and scooter) collisions are; vehicle operator "fails to see" motorcyclist. This can be when the vehicle was turning, overtaking, changing lanes etc or when entering an intersection from a "yield" sign or other right of way control, crossing a major road from a minor road, etc etc. Your best ally therefore is your senses; observation and caution. The safety class is a very good idea.

I would take the class, and try out a few motorcycles and scooters and see which you feel more comfortable with.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 03:16:09 AM »
the future will have some interesting options:
[ig]http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//800px-VentureOne_crop75.jpg[/img]
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2008, 04:02:59 AM »
My only thought - Keep the muffler on it.
7-11 was a part time job.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2008, 04:57:20 AM »
the future will have some interesting options:

That's a three wheel car, not a motorcycle.

But it would be a neat commuter if it wasn't that they're looking at it costing more than a honda civic.

Review
We truly would like to believe, though, that the VentureOne will in fact, as its creators promise, be released in late 2008, priced in the $20,000 range. If that is indeed remotely possible, then the VentureOne is big news.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2008, 06:08:17 AM »
Why would anyone make/buy a 3-wheel car, when the 3-wheel motorcycles (ATVs) were replaced by 4-wheelers years ago Huh?

IIRC, the manufacturers were offering to buy back the old 3-wheelers because so may people (kids!) were flipping them and possibly suing the makers.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2008, 06:17:12 AM »
Tallpine, they're not easy to flip, but they're really easy to run over yourself with.

Just put one foot down while you're rolling...

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2008, 07:23:32 PM »
If I get a -real- motorcycle, I will do stupid things. Stupid things that got a friend killed when I was young and dumb...

I figure a scooter is more "transport."

FWIW, I've seen -several- of the 2-in-front, 1-in-back motorcycle dealies around here lately... Kinda fun looking....

Blog under construction

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2008, 08:06:24 PM »
I am now the proud owner of that 2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500.  It was in immaculate condition with 4500 miles.  I took it for a test ride, and it rode pretty well.  It does weigh 500 lbs dry and the weight off the front end, with the fenders, fairing and bodywork is certainly heavier than I am used to.  But my research showed that all the maxi-scooters are somewhat weighty.

My research on eBay and CycleTrader demonstrated that the typical selling price of that model at that mileage was $ 4200-4800.  I shared this with the owner and offered to split the difference and do a deal at $ 4500.  I will go get a certified check tomorrow morning at the bank and then pick it up from him tomorrow night.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »
Make sure you get a helmet, gloves and jacket at the very least. Newenough has decent prices and excellent service. Their closeout section has SNELL helmets as low as $69. Please tale the MSF course too.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Otherguy Overby

• friend
Crashing and stuff
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2008, 09:37:02 PM »
I've no experience on scooters, but almost 50 years on motorcycles.

So, do take an MSF course. 

Now, about the crashing stuff, "laying 'er down" is rarely a good option.  Why crash to avoid a crash.  Besides what stops quicker something on tires or freshly waxed paint and chrome?   Smiley
Guns
Motorcycles
Jeeps
Never enough!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2008, 09:40:41 PM »
I rode a fair amount 25 years ago, and I am already signed up for the mid-September MSF course.  I figure a refresher cannot hurt.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 10:51:19 PM »
500 lbs? Good grief, my bare bones GL1000 weighed only 100 lbs more. I am surprized.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2008, 07:09:59 AM »
500 lbs? Good grief, my bare bones GL1000 weighed only 100 lbs more. I am surprized.

I know!  By way of comparison with other maxi-scooters, the Yamaha TMax comes in at 489 pounds, the Honda Silver Wing at 540 pounds, the Piaggio X9 comes in at 469 pounds and the Suzuki Burgman 650 comes in at 522 pounds.  All that bodywork really packs on the pounds compared to a naked bike.  But in comparison to a touring model, the maxi scooters compare well.