Author Topic: Thoughts on motor scooters  (Read 14577 times)

mike

Re: Thoughts on motor scooters
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2008, 07:19:39 AM »
Honda should bring back the S90. Do 80 mph with a passenger and get 90+mpg. Nice looking bike, too. I miss mine. sad

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2008, 08:01:35 AM »
My very first bike ever, that I got in 1977, was a Honda Passport with the 70 cc engine.  It could make it up to about 50 mph on the flat, but had excellent gas mileage.  It was my primary commuter to work and college.  The carb needed a lot of fussing with, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2008, 08:26:51 AM »
I've seen complimentary references to the Yamaha C3:

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/529/0/home.aspx

but it's only 49cc.  It's also only $2100.

My wife was trying to talk me into getting her a scooter, until I did the math and showed her that it would cost more (price of scooter amortized over ten years, insurance) than she would save in gasoline, for what she was planning to do with it:  use it as a second vehicle to make short trips to the store; she was still keeping her car.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2008, 08:42:46 AM »
My wife was trying to talk me into getting her a scooter, until I did the math and showed her that it would cost more (price of scooter amortized over ten years, insurance) than she would save in gasoline, for what she was planning to do with it:  use it as a second vehicle to make short trips to the store; she was still keeping her car.

Get her a wheelbarrow instead Wink

grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »

grin
Or a backpack to go along with her inline skates.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2008, 11:51:01 AM »

grin

A regular wheelbarrow or a tactical wheelbarrow?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2008, 01:49:03 PM »
if your gonna play on highway weight is good! i rode lil bikes wind pushed me around
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2008, 01:59:53 PM »

grin

A regular wheelbarrow or a tactical wheelbarrow?

Brad

Depends on the neighborhood, I reckon ...  undecided
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

LAK

• friend
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2008, 02:18:06 AM »
MillCreek
I know!  By way of comparison with other maxi-scooters, the Yamaha TMax comes in at 489 pounds, the Honda Silver Wing at 540 pounds, the Piaggio X9 comes in at 469 pounds and the Suzuki Burgman 650 comes in at 522 pounds.  All that bodywork really packs on the pounds compared to a naked bike.  But in comparison to a touring model, the maxi scooters compare well.
That's alot of bodywork; how many do they sleep?  grin

Monty

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2008, 08:57:17 AM »
Liking the looks of the Yamaha Zuma 125

GENERAL INFORMATION   
 Manufacturer        Yamaha    
 Model Year        2009    
 Model        Zuma 125    
 MSRP        $2,999.00    
 Engine        SOHC, 4-valve, 4-stroke single    
 Cooling        Forced-air    
 Displacement        125 cc    
 Bore x Stroke        52.4 x 57.9 mm    
 Carburetion        Electronic fuel injection    
 Compression Ratio        10:1    
 Clutch        Dry centrifugal automatic    
 Final Drive        V-belt    
 Transmission        Automatic    
 Suspension        Front: 27 mm telescopic forks
Rear: Dual shock    
 Brakes        Front: 220 mm disc
Rear: Drum    
 Tires        Front: 120/70-12 51L
Rear: 130/70-12 56L    
 Length        75.2 in.    
 Width        30.1 in.    
 Height        43.8 in.    
 Seat Height        30.7 in.    
 Wheelbase        50.8 in.    
 Miles Per Gallon (MPG)        88 mpg    
 Fuel Capacity        1.6 gal.    
 Colors        Two-tone Team Yamaha Blue / White, Raven, Bright Yellow

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/608/0/home.aspx

Monty

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2008, 09:01:47 AM »
I had actually thought about the new Zuma 125.  It is expected to be in the dealerships by September or so.  I asked our local dealership about it, and he said they were likely going to sell for about $ 3200 or so list price.  More than MSRP.  Apparently, several people have already put down deposits, and over half of their first shipment was already spoken for.  If they made it in 250 cc, I would be all over it.

Monty

« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2008, 09:43:32 AM »
I had actually thought about the new Zuma 125.  It is expected to be in the dealerships by September or so.  I asked our local dealership about it, and he said they were likely going to sell for about $ 3200 or so list price.  More than MSRP.  Apparently, several people have already put down deposits, and over half of their first shipment was already spoken for.  If they made it in 250 cc, I would be all over it.

Saw a post over on Adventure Rider forum where a guy was quoted ~$4700 out the door for one.  I'm sure the supply is limited but still....

Would like something closer to the 250-400cc range myself, I'm a big guy.

Monty

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2008, 09:49:39 AM »
I've seen several folks zipping around town on the Honda bigger scooters lately. 

The two guys I've really noticed though seem a little "off".  They are wearing full racing leathers with matching helmets, color coordinated with the bike.

Running WOT, leaning into corners on those little tires...  at a certain point it seems they should have just gotten a motorcycle.  Unless there's a international scooter racing circuit I'm not aware of.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2008, 12:27:28 PM »
I have to say that I am really enjoying the big Aprilia scooter.  It is interesting to me how quickly my motorcycle skills have come back after not riding for about 25 years.  I wonder if being a serious bicyclist helped.  Countersteering and lean are the same skills regardless of if you have a motor or not, I suppose.  I have been doing some familiarization rides through the neighborhood and taking it onto some local state highways up to 55 mph.  This is a very steady bike.  I am still being very cautious and practicing some low-speed handling since the front end is heavier than I am used to. 

I can already tell it was a good decision to get this scooter with 460 cc of displacement as opposed to a smaller urban scooter.  When I was out on the highway going up a hill, I was close to being boxed in by a couple of dump trucks while I was already going 55 mph.  A good twist of the throttle and the bike powered me right out of there.  A 250 cc scooter/motorcycle would not have been able to do that. 

PS: and the digital readout says that I am getting between 57 and 62 miles per gallon. 

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2008, 04:47:54 PM »
FWIW, I've seen -several- of the 2-in-front, 1-in-back motorcycle dealies around here lately... Kinda fun looking....

Sounds like the Bombardier Spyder

I like the look of the Campagna T-Rex

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2008, 05:07:39 PM »
FWIW, I've seen -several- of the 2-in-front, 1-in-back motorcycle dealies around here lately... Kinda fun looking....

He is probably referring to the Piaggio MP3: http://www.piaggiousa.com/pscooters/mp3.cfm

Currently being sold in 250, 400 and 500 cc displacement.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2008, 05:11:34 PM »
Well, those are pretty weird looking...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2008, 05:13:51 PM »
I'm glad you're enjoying your new ride. Once Balog gets up and running we'll have to do an APS PNW group ride. grin

The riders I know of in this area are you, Tokugawa, myself, and Balog.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2008, 05:45:38 PM »
Gosh, I hope those 3-wheelers don't steer with the rear wheel ?  shocked