Author Topic: A tragedy, but ...  (Read 14566 times)

Antibubba

• friend
Re: A tragedy, but ...
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 11:54:02 PM »
Well, when I was learning to drive the DMV stated explicitly that peds always have the right of way as a practical matter. In other words, one must always yield to a guy standing in the road, even if he isn't supposed to be there.

That is civil law.  The laws of physics are completely different.  I'm always shocked by the number of people who think they are one and the same.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 05:26:57 AM »
I'm not really so concerned about his immigration status, either.  But no one said that should be the sole focus of the newspaper article.  Indeed, it's hard to believe you could honestly mistake a request for immigration status information, as a demand that the article provide a "lengthy discussion" of that issue, and that alone.  So, we must rule out honest disagreement on your part. 

Did you read the first post?  I read this, and I couldn't rule out the possibility that you hadn't.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 10:21:17 AM »
Oh, right you are.  Here's the text I overlooked. 

Quote from: the crazed, xenophobic Hawkmoon of shootinstudent's fevered imagination
Here's a full-page article, about a Hispanic "victim," and nowhere does it majke any mention of his immigration status. I don't see a lengthy discussion of the deceased's immigration status.  All I see is some blather about pedestrians, and vehicle accident laws.  I DEMAND A LENGTHY DISCUSSION OF HIS IMMIGRATION STATUS!!   :mad:   :mad:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 08:42:49 PM »
Whether his immigration status should be in the article, as opposed to say, a discussion about pedestrian vs. vehicle accident laws, was the issue I wanted to address.  His immigration status had nothing to do with the accident.

However, my point in posting the article was not the accident, but what I considered to be an intentioanl omission of any reference to the deceased's immigration status. I will reiterate: My perusals of the daily news indicate (to my own, personal satisfaction) that when something bad happens to an immigrant, IF the immigrant is legally in the U.S. the reporter makes it very plain in the article that this was a legal immigrant.

Therefore, if "the media" are going to force-feed us with immigration status whenever they report on something involving a legal immigrant, by rights they should also inform us of the immigration status when something involves an illegal immigrant. But they don't do that. I consider it a lie of omission.

Pay attention as you read the news. I predict that if you're paying attention, you'll see the same thing that I consider to be a pattern. Legal immigrant ==> clearly stated, usually in first paragraph. Illegal alien => [chirp]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 02:52:58 AM »
Oh, right you are.  Here's the text I overlooked. 

Yeah, you think you might be adding a tad bit to what I actually said there? 

The followup shows I was exactly on point-I see what you are saying Hawkmoon.  I'm simply saying I don't see how that issue is relevant to something like a pedestrian accident.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Teknoid

« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 06:49:51 AM »
Isn't New York a "Sanctuary city"? I doubt any questions were even asked about immigration status. I don't think the cops are even allowed to ask.

As for who was at fault, the article said neither driver was being charged after the "accident" was investigated. That indicates to me that they determined the pedestrian was at fault.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 08:21:43 AM »
Hmmm ...

Sounds like a terrible accident, but an accident nonetheless. The family wants "justice," they say, but it sounds more like they want vengeance ... and money. However ...

Excellent point.  Bolding added by me.

Here's a full-page article, about a Hispanic "victim," and nowhere does it majke any mention of his immigration status. Since the liberal press bends over backwards to convince us that most immigrants are legal, the fact they do NOT mention his status tells me that he probably wasn't. So if he hadn't broken the law (my assumption) and sneaked into the U.S. to take a job someone else needs, and if he hadn't jaywalked, he'd still be alive. "Justice" would have to take that into account.

http://my.att.net/s/editorial.dll?pnum=1&bfromind=7406&eeid=6387612&_sitecat=1505&dcatid=0&eetype=article&render=y&ac=2&ck=&ch=ne&rg=blsadstrgt&_lid=332&_lnm=tg+ne+topnews&ck=

[/quote]

Now you're just reading way too much into the article.  And inventing a story about how if he hadn't been there he'd still be alive.  Jaywalkers get hit by cars, regardless of age, sex, race, creed or immigration status.  You're creating a story where there isn't one....looking for boogey men in news articles. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 08:36:12 AM »
I've seen a lot of articles about Hispanic/Latino/Whatever in the news, and the media often DOES make a point of stressing the person is a natualized citizen, legal immigrant or is US-born . . . whereas they usually leave out the person's immigration status when they ARE illegals.

Often, when giving the description of a suspect in a crime, they omit the race. "Not relevant" they say. (What they really mean is "not politically correct.")

You see much the same thing in politics - when a Republican is caught behaving badly, you'd think his first name is "Republican" or "Prominent Republican" or "Long time Republican" from reading the paper or listening to the news. On the other hand when a Democrat is caught, more often than not, the party affiliation is simply omitted.

As for the "justice" of getting run over - the laws of physics trump the traffic code. When a pedestrian's (or as often happens around Austin, TX, a bicyclist's) own reckless foolishness leads him to attempt to occupy the same place at the same time as a 2-ton motor vehicle . . . he WILL lose.

And all the self-rightous indignation in the world won't change a thing about it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 11:36:23 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 08:47:18 AM »
Cites?  Articles?  Or just random generalizations?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 10:53:44 AM »
Cites?  Articles?  Or just random generalizations?

The "Colin Ferguson Effect."

The way the media made no mention of his race in the first reports was the first clue that CF was black.

If you have read any of the big town papers for any length of time, you would have noticed it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »
Yeah, you think you might be adding a tad bit to what I actually said there? 

Not one bit.  Not surprisingly, you are trying to accuse me of what you are being called out on - adding to what Hawkmoon said.  Which you very clearly did right here:

It makes sense that the story doesn't mention immigration status-it's not about immigration.  It'd be bizarre and tasteless to have a lengthy discussion about someone's immigration status in an article about a fatal accident that had zero to do with his citizenship.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 06:23:17 PM »
This'n has lost all possibility of going anywhere civil.  So here's a picture of Ron Paul with two pancakes on his head.
JD