Author Topic: Leaving pets behind.  (Read 14553 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Leaving pets behind.
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2009, 09:56:43 AM »
I've shared Ruger's story many times over the years. I don't think I've ever shared it here, but I have at TheFiringLine.com and quite a few other websites.

And, just so everyone understands the situation, I'm the friend Castle Key is talking about, and Mason, my current furry friend, was the dog he was forced to move to a new home.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2009, 10:11:13 AM »
i have never been lied to or betrayed by a pet. i try to return the favor.one of the reasons i married my wife is the way she treated our dog.

Our previous dog, Roosevelt was a liar. But he was bad at it...

When there was food he was jonesing for, he wouldn't look at it, He'd sort of crawl and roll and shimmy his position like he was trying to get comfortable to get closer and closer to the food, but he'd look away, as if trying to say "I'm not looking at that piece of cake RIGHT THERE... No, I'm just staring at that empty wall over there..."

Then when he was right next to the plate of food, he'd turn his head, look at it, jerk with mock surprise and then look at you as if to say, "Oh! I had no idea that was there. Can I have it?"

I promise not to duck.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2009, 10:25:11 AM »
aj  you got a point there. my lab/husky mix is tall enough to look over the menu on the kitchen counter. she will then have a lil nap nearby and wait for you to leave the area. its comical the way she checks the food then me.  she knows that she has until the toilet flushes to strike. she then goes to her resting place to look innocent. with a lil lettuce dangling from her mouth. she stole an 11 pound pork roast and almost killed herself trying to eat it rather than share.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2009, 10:32:11 AM »
Dogs don't lie.
Mine do. They all claim they are unloved and starving all the time and thus you must give them attention and food. especially people food.
They have no guile, even when in the vet's office.
Several of my beagles exhibited quite a bit of guile and cunning. Beagles can be very clever when they want to. And quite sneaky.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:39:50 AM by ilbob »
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2009, 10:35:32 AM »
i have never been lied to or betrayed by a pet. i try to return the favor.one of the reasons i married my wife is the way she treated our dog.
I have often said that princess woofie (RIP) selected my wife. it is not far from the truth. If Woofie had not liked her, I would not have gone out with her any more. The first time she came to my home, she brought dog treats with her. Didn't bring me anything.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 10:40:18 AM by ilbob »
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »
Severals of my beagles exhibited quite a bit of guile and cunning. Beagles can be very clever when they want to. And quite sneaky.

never noticed much cleverness from my beagle. comedian though he was. every time we laughed at him for doing something stupid, he got this happy look on his face.

as for sneaky and diobolical plots to steal food, southwest is the champ. you'll be eating at the table, and he'll go off, barking and yelping like someone is approching the house. when you get up to look outside and see whats upset him, he's standing at the table, eating your dinner. the sad part is dad fell for that trick more then once.  :rolleyes: yet another example of smart dog, dumb human.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2009, 10:46:52 AM »
aj  you got a point there. my lab/husky mix is tall enough to look over the menu on the kitchen counter. she will then have a lil nap nearby and wait for you to leave the area. its comical the way she checks the food then me.  she knows that she has until the toilet flushes to strike. she then goes to her resting place to look innocent. with a lil lettuce dangling from her mouth. she stole an 11 pound pork roast and almost killed herself trying to eat it rather than share.
Woofie could levitate up on counters and the kitchen island to get food. :) You would not think a beagle could get food off the center of the kichen island. I never did figure out how she was able to do so.

Once she ate four large muffins, some rolls, part of a loaf of bread, and some hamburger buns she somehow got off the middle of the kitchen island. I came home and she was lying on the floor in the living room with the biggest belly you can imagine. She could barely waddle around she had eaten so much.

bob

• friends
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »
letting my dogs pick wife might be good plan. i had a proven bad track record.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:02 AM »
its called counter surfing.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2009, 10:50:08 AM »
WRT the OP:

It is all about dominion, lordship, etc.  That implies both authority and responsibility.

The OP was about pets, but I think the authority and responsibility applies to both pets and non-pet animals (work critters, livestock, game animals, varmints, semi-feral or feral strays, etc.).  

The specifics of the relationship between the critter over which we have dominion differs depending on that relationship (pet, work animal, etc.).  But several things are in common:

1. The human is at the top of the hierarchy and makes the decisions.
No, Fido is not a human and does not get to make decisions of moment.  Anthropomorphizing Fido is an exercise in fantasy.  Letting him run roughshod over your authority is foolishness.

2. Needs or circumstances may require that the critter be killed, but both in that situation and in circumstances where the animal lives on, needless cruelty is to be avoided.
Slaughtering livestock is fine & dandy, but torturing Ol' Bessie to death for pleasure is not.

3. The disposition of the animal is to be handled and responsibly, as is care and upkeep (where that applies).
Willfully abandoning a pet in an apartment, out "in the country" & the like does not reach the mark.  Nor is letting one's dogs roam the neighborhood or countryside unsupervised.

Quote from: Dntsycnt
If humans weren't better than animals then we would still be animals.

What you are prizing so far above human ingenuity is thoughtless loyalty, which I find to be disgusting.

I understand your perspective.

I don't get all riled up over it, where it has no impact on me & mine.  I certainly do not encourage such behavior and would seek to curb it in those for whom I am responsible.

Quote from: Balog
I'll never understand the massive self-loathing threads about dogs seem to bring out. How does "I love my dogs" turn into a diatribe about how vile humankind is?

In any case, anthropomorphism is silly. And no subject makes people quite so irrational and emotional as their pets, so I think I'll just leave it at that.

Agreed.

Heck, I hold as self-evident that human nature is corrupt and immutable.  I consider every individual victory over human nature an accomplishment and the collective expression of the greatest (though still fragile) victory over human nature to be Western Civilization.  

That said, I think it conveys much more information about the revile-er than the reviled humanity when they harp on about debased human nature relative to critters.  Frankly, it is a case of TMI.

Also, critters can be every bit as cruel as humans.  It takes but a few minutes observation of a cat toying with a live, captured rodent or a of a dog that kills prey and then starts to eat it while the prey is still alive & kicking.  Not to mention the sheer joy some predators exhibit in the act of killing.

Those who think dogs don't lie need to come on down where coyotes are common and where the 'yotes lure domesticated dogs into play and into an ambush by their pack.  There may not be words uttered, but the feigning of friendship/play for the purpose of predation is a lie.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »
till i got the side by side i had a rope tied around the fridge to prevent "snacking" by the dogs

one morning wife got me up  she was hsterical  there was blood all over kitchen floor  she was sure her babys had gotten hurt.   dogs fine  one big pan of marrinating flank steak was awol/mia

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2009, 11:11:07 AM »
till i got the side by side i had a rope tied around the fridge to prevent "snacking" by the dogs

one morning wife got me up  she was hsterical  there was blood all over kitchen floor  she was sure her babys had gotten hurt.   dogs fine  one big pan of marrinating flank steak was awol/mia

:laugh:

Not only would our GSPs sneak food, they were snobbish about it.  For instance, given honest-to-goodness Roquefort cheese sitting next to regular ol' blue cheese, the Roquefort would be stolen and chowed down on in the corner.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2009, 11:22:06 AM »
absolutely!  and pass on the cheap shoes for the good ones too.  could be bad for an aps dog with all these leather fetishists about.

i worked for heavenly ham each year at xmas when schools i worked at were closed woman bought 2 whole hams in the morning  came back angry in afternoon for 2 more. he black labs found them in her garage and she had to take them to the vet they were so gorged. so a couple hundred bucks in ham plus a couple hundred at the vet.
my lab mixes best stunt was to kill 11 chickens  and chase 4 into the house to kill em. in 4 different rooms.  lots of feathers. she missed 2 though i don't know where they hid but they were on the window sill in the hall when i got up

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2009, 11:30:44 AM »
absolutely!  and pass on the cheap shoes for the good ones too.  could be bad for an aps dog with all these leather fetishists about.

The only (temporary) stray I regret picking up* was a sweet female rottwiler.  I lured her into the garage, shut the door, gave her a big bowl of water and then contacted her owners. 

In the meanwhile, she ATE my Corcoran II boots!  Passed up the foot gear I had stacked up to give to Salvation Army.  TANJ.

I tell ya, that dog knew how to get me where it hurt.

* And then contacting their owners because I knew them & their dog or POC data on the collar
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2009, 11:48:27 AM »
"I'll never understand the massive self-loathing threads about dogs seem to bring out. How does "I love my dogs" turn into a diatribe about how vile humankind is?"

Apparently because somewhere deep down inside you still hold on to a cute, but ultimately silly and futile, notion that man is somehow a noble creature with redemptive qualities.

Actually, the utterly depraved nature of man is one of the cornerstones of my theology. But this isn't a theological discussion, we're talking about dogs. And maybe I'm crazy, but "I love dogs" doesn't seem to be a natural segue into a couple paragraphs about how much you loathe the destructive pestilence that is mankind.

Also, the two quotes below seem to contradict each other.

No. It's down a completely different road from PETA's address.

Quote from: Mike Irwin
"If humans weren't better than animals then we would still be animals."

Judging by what I see every day out of so-called "humans," I'd have to say the "human" race has a long way to go before it creeps up to the level of those domesticated animals. You'd think that in the process of domestication humans would have learned something, even the smallest thing, of the better traits of the animals that have been domesticated. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

"What you are prizing so far above human ingenuity is thoughtless loyalty, which I find to be disgusting."

Ah, animals and thoughtless loyalty. Thoughtless loyalty, like the Obama nation, the Hitler Youth, Pol Pot's merry band of brothers?

And human ingenuity and inventiveness, the qualities that give humans the ability to kill and destroy at an ever increasing pace. And let's not forget the ingenuity and inventiveness that allows humans to savage the environment more efficiently and more thoroughly than a plague of locusts.

Yes, yes.... certainly qualities to be admired, those traits of ingenuity and inventiveness.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2009, 01:05:13 PM »
Wow!  I have hit nerves with threads I have started before, but this one might be the topper. 

My position in this is that I have been repeatedly disappointed by people.  I foolishly have high expectations for people.  Since they were created with intelligence (?) I think it is right to expect them to use it.  The same thing holds for morals and ethics.  We started out with the basis for moral and ethical behavior and somehow cast them aside to pursue personal gain, pleasure,etc.

Animals do not have human intelligence.  They do not operate under any philosophical, ethical or moral code.  They live in our homes because we decided to have them.  In my case they fill the void created by my disappointment with people in general.  I can look down and pet Cocoa when she is next to me and she looks up with complete love and devotion.  All she wants is to be loved and fed.  Do the dogs get into mischief?  Of course, they are dogs!  Do the dogs take the place of my sons?  No, they are the children still living under my roof.  And yes I do see a lot of similarity between pets and children.

Pets and children need to learn the rules of civilized and respectful behavior.  Some are easier than others.  My son is still alive simply because he is human.  Had he been a dog who caused me such grief he would never have lived this long.  The guinea pigs are obviously not in the class with dogs.  We have them because my Lady had one and I bought one to keep it company.  The other two we adopted from a young woman who got our name from a pet store miles away which I had contacted about finding a female guinea pig. (And yes I did drive 300 miles to pick them up)  They are entertaining.  That is the sum of their appeal.  And my Lady loves them.  That is big with me.  She loves them and the dogs and me.  Can't get any better than that.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2009, 03:18:19 PM »
dogs are pretty good people, even if they are not human.

bob

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Y'all already know where I stand when it comes to animals. In fact, one of the many things I've done while being away from you guys was to embrace my inner crazy cat lady.  =D

The thing is, being able to love animals has made it easier for me to care about people. This does not seem to be a common phenomenon. ???
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2009, 03:53:23 PM »
Ladysmith!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back :D You here to stay, or just teasing us?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2009, 03:22:46 AM »
Yes, Ladysmith, welcome back.  You were missed.

"I'll never understand the massive self-loathing threads about dogs seem to bring out. How does "I love my dogs" turn into a diatribe about how vile humankind is?"

Apparently because somewhere deep down inside you still hold on to a cute, but ultimately silly and futile, notion that man is somehow a noble creature with redemptive qualities.

Having never been married, I can't say that.   =D

But I see nobility in both human and canine individuals.  Maybe the reason I am more often disappointed in humans than in dogs is that I expect a lot more out of humans--I hold them to a higher standard.

Then again, seeing a dog's entire back end wiggle in delight seems to be a greater source of joy than even the best Hallmark card I ever received, so the bias is not entirely one-sided. 

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2009, 03:35:27 AM »
And human ingenuity and inventiveness, the qualities that give humans the ability to kill and destroy at an ever increasing pace. And let's not forget the ingenuity and inventiveness that allows humans to savage the environment more efficiently and more thoroughly than a plague of locusts.

So... what? There's stuff out there that needs destroying, and people out there that need a good dose of killing.

As for the environment... I for one don't believe the purpose of my life is to be a steward of the environment. I believe the purpose of mankind is to make the world a better place for us humans. And if we need to bulldoze a rainforest or two to make it happen, then down it goes.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2009, 10:18:32 AM »
And another whiff from MicroBalrog.

No one said anything about stewarding the environment.

But even animals generally understand you don't *expletive deleted*it where you eat.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2009, 10:27:28 AM »
As for the environment... I for one don't believe the purpose of my life is to be a steward of the environment. I believe the purpose of mankind is to make the world a better place for us humans. And if we need to bulldoze a rainforest or two to make it happen, then down it goes.

Poor environment meants poor air quality and water quality, last time I checked we needed both to survive.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2009, 10:42:20 AM »
Good stewardship of teh environment != treehuggers not wanting to log. Just being responsible.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2009, 10:42:49 AM »
And another whiff from MicroBalrog.

No one said anything about stewarding the environment.

But even animals generally understand you don't *expletive deleted*it where you eat.

Can I use that gem as a sig line?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”