Author Topic: Rare, experimental, vintage aircraft  (Read 14524 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Re: Rare, experimental, vintage aircraft
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »
NEEDS MORE ENGINES!!!   =D

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:56:08 AM »

I'm not sure an aircraft should ever be given the monikor 'Fireball'.

RYAN FR-1 FIREBALL
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »
Photo #1 isn't a rare, experimental aircraft.

It's a B-17 being used to test a B-29 engine. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:29:15 PM »
The XB-38, a B-17 re-engined with Allison V1710 liquid-cooled inlines.

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:32:42 PM »
Photo #1 isn't a rare, experimental aircraft.

Sure it is.  It's a one-off test bed, and it's experimental.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:48:37 PM »
The XB-38, a B-17 re-engined with Allison V1710 liquid-cooled inlines.

The prettiest '17 ever.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
some of those German aircraft are quite scary

Had germany waited about 10 years to start the 3rd Reich,
they could of assaulted NYC with an aerial blitzkreig
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 12:59:29 PM »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 01:02:03 PM »
The XF-85 Goblin.  It was intended to parasite on the B-36 Peacemaker, but it didn't work out so well.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 01:03:44 PM »
Looks like someone took the term "Fighter-bomber" a little too literally.  :lol:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:21:26 PM by RaspberrySurprise »
Look, tiny text!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 01:06:52 PM »
Or this one, the JB-17, single turbine-powered B-17 test bed.

B-17 nut that I am, I'm getting carried away...

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 01:12:54 PM »
The XF-85 Goblin.  It was intended to parasite on the B-36 Peacemaker, but it didn't work out so well.

Chuck Yeager flew chase on the Goblin test flights.  He pulls zero punches in his assessment of the failure, laying blame squarely on the test pilot.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »

I love that. There's just something about the idea of mounting guns on an aircraft that recoil substantially enough to affect the flight characteristics. Had we sold this to the Russians the eastern front might have been quite messier. All in all a very russian engineering concept.

For it's lines that JB-17 is one of the prettiest aircraft I've ever seen.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 01:24:55 PM »
IIRC that's a 40mm Bofors in the nose of that Lightning.  Also, didn't they try to make a ship buster by putting a 105mm in the nose of a B25?

Also, a bit of trivia.  What was the first piston-powered aircraft to exceed 500mph in level flight? (hint, it wasn't a P-51)

Brad
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:32:36 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 01:32:28 PM »
Brad, that is a B-25 in French G.'s post.  It looks like one of the variants with a 75mm.  105mm were installed, too, as field expedients in the South Pacific.  I forget who did the initial work on those.

ETA: Ah, yes, Major Paul I. "Pappy" Gunn was one of the first to do the field-expedient mods in the SouPac.

The B25-G and -H models came with cannon from the factory.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:37:35 PM by RocketMan »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 01:40:49 PM »
Brad, I'm thinking the P-47 Thunderbolt was the first that exceeded 500mph, but that might have been in a dive.  Level flight, I dunno...

I do know they had severe compressibility issues with the P-38 in high speed dives.  Same thing happened to the P-47.  They lost a bunch of them during WWII, not really knowing at the time what they were up against.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 01:41:39 PM »
Sorry, I had a crack moment when I called it a Lightning.  Not even a close similarity.  It's even more embarrassing because I love warbirds so much.  Duh.

And that, kids, is why you shouldn't post and talk on the phone at the same time.

P-47 is right, though it wasn't a production version.  It was the P47J, a radical experiment using a tightly cowled hotrod version of the Pratt R2800.  Although it looked similar to a production P47 it shared virtually none of the production version's airframe components.  It reached 504 mph.  I understand there were also experiments with the largest production engine available at the time, the Pratt & Whitney R4360 Wasp Major, but it was deemed waaaaaay to large and heavy.  (Chance Vaught also experiemented with this engine in it's Super Corsair tests).

Brad
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 01:57:20 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 01:47:34 PM »
Blohm und Voss 141.

Aircraft don't have to be symmetrical.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
Burt Rutan's Boomerang.

-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 01:57:33 PM »
I love that. There's just something about the idea of mounting guns on an aircraft that recoil substantially enough to affect the flight characteristics. 
My Dad told me during WWII he had an opportunity to ride along in a B25 armed with a 75mm gun. He said when it fired, it felt as if the plane had collided with something.

I don't recall that he ever mentioned a 105mm being mounted in one, field expedient or otherwise.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »
As for bigger engines, there's this monster, the Lycoming R-7755.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoming_R-7755

-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 02:35:34 PM »

TUPOLEV TU-2SH WITH 88 SUBMACHINE GUNS IN BAY FIRING FORWARD

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »

TUPOLEV TU-2SH WITH 88 SUBMACHINE GUNS IN BAY FIRING FORWARD

Holy crap.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 02:45:20 PM »
I don't recall that he ever mentioned a 105mm being mounted in one, field expedient or otherwise.

I could be mistaken, HankB.  I cannot find references to it in my library.  The 75mm variants are coming up all over the place.