Author Topic: World's Fastest Car, Made in America  (Read 14583 times)

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
World's Fastest Car, Made in America
« on: May 04, 2009, 05:42:40 PM »
Everyone here who is interested in cars has probably heard about the new fastest one, the 2008 SSC Ultimate Aero. It was clocked at 257 mph and costs $620,000. It gets 1187 horsepower from a big block V8 with 2 turbos mounted in the middle of the rear of the car. The whole thing weighs 2700 lbs, as the body is carbon fiber. It is 6' 11'' wide. The transmission is a 6 speed manual with a clutch pedal, no paddle shifters. I think its interesting that Buggatti worked so hard and put so much technology into their Veyron only to be beaten by a relatively simple American car with no electronic stability system. Also, all the parts are made in America and so is the car. The Aero also has a decent amount of trunk space and cools off quickly. It's as practical as a supercar can be.

Jay Leno's article in Popular Mechanics: http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/jay_leno_garage/4289707.html

vid of Jay Leno driving it: http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_player.shtml?vid=275184

bonus article of Jay's; future collectible cars: http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/jay_leno_garage/4312877.html

drewtam

• friend
Re: World's Fastest Car, Made in America
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 08:07:24 PM »
Cool! Thanks for sharing.

It gets 1187 horsepower from a big block V8 with 2 turbos mounted in the middle of the rear of the car. The whole thing weighs 2700 lbs, as the body is carbon fiber.

But that ain't no big block. Its a small block LSx series Chevy engine.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 09:31:54 PM »
Meh. An almost stock Hayabusa can top 200 MPH for ~$14,000 or less.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:06:31 AM »
Who cares about motorcycles? With a car, you are AT the scene of the accident - with a hayabusa, you ARE the scene of the accident.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:18:24 AM »
Who cares about motorcycles? With a car, you are AT the scene of the accident - with a hayabusa, you ARE the scene of the accident.

At 200+ MPH, the distinction between motorcycle and car is academic. Either you're paste from the car grinding you to such, or you're a splat on some object.

Marvin Dao

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 01:43:27 AM »
I think its interesting that Buggatti worked so hard and put so much technology into their Veyron only to be beaten by a relatively simple American car with no electronic stability system.

They're not really comparable cars. One look at the Veyron interior will tell you as much.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 01:59:14 AM »
At 200+ MPH, the distinction between motorcycle and car is academic. Either you're paste from the car grinding you to such, or you're a splat on some object.
Ouch, now there's a tough decision... paste or splat... hmmm...  :O
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 04:07:05 AM »
So how often does it break?  :laugh:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 04:40:08 AM »
wow! I wish I had the dough, looks like a fun car.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 08:25:31 AM »
Nice, but I'm skeptical that a 1200 HP small block is going to last very long.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »
This car is better, if only because it's lines aren't marred like the Veyron's are by Bugatti's retro homage to their 1900's roadsters with that rediculous looking front grill.

I guess Bugatti never heard of the Edsel.
I promise not to duck.

Clem

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 12:12:26 PM »
Very fast in a car. Not so fast in a plane. I will stick with the plane. The Big Sky Theory is: the sky is big and I am small and the likelihood of meeting someone is therefore small. That doesn't apply in a car. Too many trees, cops and other cars.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 12:30:57 PM »
the sky is big and I am small and the likelihood of meeting someone is therefore small.

I can tell you never flew in or out of Palo Alto airport when NAS Moffett Field was still active!  :O  =)

bob

Iain

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 01:20:30 PM »
How does it corner?[/Porsche driver snark]
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

bk425

• Now's the time
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 02:58:26 PM »
Very fast in a car. Not so fast in a plane.

Yeah if I had $625k to drop on a vehicle (not likely but I have an excellent imagination...) it would have to go to a plane. Would love to drive a car like this... but that is a lot of fast for something that needs earth contact for directional control.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 03:17:41 PM »
Very fast in a car. Not so fast in a plane. I will stick with the plane. The Big Sky Theory is: the sky is big and I am small and the likelihood of meeting someone is therefore small. That doesn't apply in a car. Too many trees, cops and other cars.

Big sky theory is cute.
I can tell you from experience that small airplanes quite often nearly (or do) trade paint.  And two cessna's going 120mph each = a collision speed of 240mph.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 03:32:17 PM »
did i hear correctly........ the 32 gal tank will last for 600 miles if you are very light on the pedal, or.......it will burn one gallon per 15 seconds under full throttle?!!!!!!!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

digitalandanalog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 06:14:27 PM »
Yeah. You have good listening skills.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »

Technically some of the more advanced supercars can allow the driver to survive accidents at these speeds. THe car is usually toast though.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Iain

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 06:41:13 PM »

That was an Enzo. According to the article it is from there have been two Enzo crashes at 150mph that the drivers survived.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 07:21:24 PM »
Technically some of the more advanced supercars can allow the driver to survive accidents at these speeds. THe car is usually toast though.
I think an advanced bit of luck (well, I'm sure the helmet helped. . .) let this guy survive his 170+ MPH motorcycle crash  =D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT5ZzdO_ER0

Iain

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »
I think an advanced bit of luck (well, I'm sure the helmet helped. . .) let this guy survive his 170+ MPH motorcycle crash  =D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT5ZzdO_ER0

Lucky lucky man.

Guy from my gym was killed on the Isle of Man a couple of years ago. He was a spectator. The rider and another spectator were also killed.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 08:16:39 PM »

That was an Enzo. According to the article it is from there have been two Enzo crashes at 150mph that the drivers survived.
How many 150mph crashes have there been where the driver didn't survive?

Iain

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 08:24:09 PM »
Who knows? I think I read earlier that 14 Enzos are known to have been crashed, noticed that there was one fatality (hit a tree, caught fire) not sure if there have been more. I wasn't attempting to make significant point, 150mph crashes vary - flip and roll at 150mph is different to hitting a wall head on.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »
Eh, I was just curious and I thought you might know.  No matter.