Author Topic: Wasp Nest by Front Door-what to do?  (Read 14470 times)

Leatherneck

• friend
Wasp Nest by Front Door-what to do?
« on: June 27, 2009, 05:36:21 PM »
So I'm trimming the azalea hedge this afternoon and got to the corner and suddenly the air was filled with angry wasps, all pissed at me. I noticed a paper nest in the hedge as I departed the pattern in haste. Got a couple of stings and carried one into the house under my teeshirt, but no bad reaction. I once, years ago, had a moderate anaphylactic reaction  after a half-dozen stings when I mowed over an underground yellowjacket nest, so I don't feel especially like being careless with these guys. I don't carry the sting kit the docs prescribed any more. Ounce of prevention/=pound of cure.

I identified them as "bald-faced hornets" who are really white-faced yellowjackets: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

Got any tips and techniques that don't involve:
a. firearms
b. gasoline
c. explosives

Not that I wouldn't enjoy hearing your tales of joy or woe regarding these techniques, I just don't think they're too appropriate right now. =D

TC
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 05:47:22 PM by Leatherneck »
TC
RT Refugee

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Wasp Nest by Front Door-what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:46:35 PM »
Here's a tip...

Rework the URL codes in your paragraphs so that they work correctly.

As for the wasps...

Get to a store and get a can of wasp and hornet killer, the foaming kind with good reach is really effective.

Wait until they are all in the nest this evening, and then douse the opening VERY thoroughly with the killer. You want to shoot it right up into the nest through the opening.

Then soak the exterior of the nest.

Then, if it's a big nest, larger than a basketball, wait until tomorrow, then do the same thing again to make sure you get any stragglers.

After two applications they should all be dead.

The third night, get a garbage bag, knock the nest into it, and go find a convenient place to burn it in case any of the larva have survived.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »
a. firearms
b. gasoline
c. explosives

You're no fun.  I recommend copious usage of all three...... simultaneously.....  =D =D =D :police:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 05:51:09 PM »
Rework the URL codes in your paragraphs so that they work correctly.
Done. Those brackets and slashes are SO confusing.

One thing I noticed was that all the websites discussing wasps and hornets wax eloquent about how just all-around GOOD they are and how LUCKY we are to have them as neighbors. So I'll bag the nest and deliver it to the first nature freak who wants it. Volunteers?

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »
What mike said.  We had a paper wasp infestation around here a couple of years ago.  We waited until night when they were all on their nests, and then doused them liberally with Raid hornet and wasp spray.  It got pretty much all of the suckers.

Haven't had a problem since.   =D

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Reifen

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 06:04:52 PM »
I once found a wasp nest in my grill after I hadn't used it for about a month.  I left the lid open, waited for them to get into their nest that night, then lit the grill and closed the lid.  Roasted the suckers.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
Oh, and one other tip.

If you showed a reaction to a yellow jacket sting, your next encounter with them, or with paper hornets, or with any other bee, could be fatal within a matter of minutes.

I would say the fact that you didn't have any kind of reaction this time is something of a frigging miracle.

GET ANOTHER KIT.

If they give you an epipen, CARRY IT WITH YOU when you mow, and also carry Benadryl dissolving strips, too.

I know several people who are so allergic that they take two Benadryl before they start mowing the grass, just in case.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »
I once found a wasp nest in my grill after I hadn't used it for about a month.  I left the lid open, waited for them to get into their nest that night, then lit the grill and closed the lid.  Roasted the suckers.
[/quote
Viking Burial?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 06:24:02 PM »
Benadryl strips are great.  They work even when the whole gagging and struggling to breathe thing makes the pills hard to swallow.

If you've ever had a serious reaction, you should have a standing scrip for an epipen, and carry it, dammit.

I have a standing scrip for one, and I've never had any reaction at all.  The allergy doc gave it to me while I was doing shots for nasal allergies.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 06:33:31 PM »
For small nests, any good wasp killer will do.  Stick to the wasp killer as it is made to be used at range.  Mike's instructions are pretty spot on and should take care of them.  Wait till evening when there's still enough light to see what you are doing, hit the entrance first, and soak accordingly.

For smaller nests I have always found brake cleaner to be equally effective on them.  For larger nests, stick to the dedicated stuff just to be safe.

Oh, and get your kit again.  If it was bad enough then, it's bad enough now.  Many times the next reaction will only be bigger then initial reactions.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 06:36:53 PM »
Well, it wasn't a severe reaction--just a tightening of my airway and kind of a nervous itch all over. And it was 20+ years ago.

[/excuse mode]

OK, epinephrine scrip coming. Thanks, Moms.  =D

TC

PS: While I, the Supreme Warrior of Marines, was in here drinking beer and discussing the tactical situation with my buds, Leatherness took care of it. She came in fresh from the battlefield with her smoking gun driipping can of Raid wasp killer and said (sweetly) "I took care of it Honey."
TC
RT Refugee

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »
I spray for wasps at my gun range as the small bit of volunteer work I do.  I just use a major brand spray mostly.  I like the foaming type also, but I have gotten cans with messed up nozzles that only spray it 4 feet.  Any major brand with 20 foot range or so should work just fine.  I agree with doing it in the evening when they are less active.  However, anytime will work if you stand at a good distance and don't move after spraying.  If you hit them well, they won't even be thinking of attacking.  If you don't, I think they attack movement as much as anything else.  If you can stand behind something I think that helps also.  I could be wrong, but I have never been stung by a paper type wasp and we have a lot of them down here.

I have had 2 or 3 people tell me that soapy water will knock them down just as well as the major brand spray, but I haven't tried it yet.  

If you can't get a direct line of attack, they sell cans of "flying insect spray" that is more of a fogger or area effect spray.  It usually is good for wasps if you read the can.  It generally has less range and may not be instant kill, however, it works well in some situations when you can't see the next or get a jet nozzle spray on the nest.    
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
What is wrong with you people?
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2009, 07:37:24 PM »
Dust off.  Nuke from orbit.  Its the only way to be sure.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2009, 07:55:41 PM »
"Well, it wasn't a severe reaction--just a tightening of my airway and kind of a nervous itch all over. And it was 20+ years ago."

Tom?

That's your body's way of saying "Hey, we're not sure what this is, and we're not sure we like it."

Essentially that's your body's que to start producing antibodies against the bee venom so that it can be "armed and ready" for the next attack.

Almost invariably the next exposure results in a massive histamine response, which fires off a full-blown and potentially deadly anaphalactic shock.

After 20 years the antibodies might well have slowly flushed from your system.

But, with the stings you just received, your body might well be producing more to be "ready" for the next time.

It is a VERY rare individual, from what I understand, who has a full-blown anaphalactic shock to his first bee sting.

It takes one to prime the pump, so to speak. After that, at the signal, unleash hell.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »
I get smaller nests. Hornet/wasp sprays works well.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
I have had 2 or 3 people tell me that soapy water will knock them down just as well as the major brand spray, but I haven't tried it yet.     

Their air holes are small, and anything that clogs them will suffocate em.  Not as sure as hitting them with a nerve toxin, though.

There was a mud dauber nest in the door frame my Explorer that I discovered after it had sat for a while.  Didn't have any raid handy so I hit it with some de-icer that was left over from winter.  Luckily, mud daubers usually have only one or two individuals to a nest, so I didn't have to break out the heavy artillery.  The de-icer knocked the wasp on the nest down enough to prevent them from flying when I removed the nest, then I squished it with my boot.  
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 08:50:22 PM »
Their air holes are small, and anything that clogs them will suffocate em.  Not as sure as hitting them with a nerve toxin, though.

Sounds like a perfect use for this

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 09:48:55 PM »
During USAF Combat Survival, I managed to step into a yellowjacket nest nestled in a cedar fall.  I took almost 100 stings, but pressed on, thinking it was a one-time thing and I'd never have to worry about it again.  (I wasn't going to wash out of that course just for getting stung, come hell or high water) 

Fast forward a couple months, and I'm at the California State Fair, having a Sno-Cone. A little kid bumps into me, spilling some of the sweet Sno-Cone on my leg.  I feel something brushing it, and swat at what turned out to be another yellowjacket, who chose to sting me for my troubles. 

My leg swelled up so fast and so tightly that the Mather AFB flight surgeon actually considered making incisions to relieve the pressure.

Mike's caution above is a good one.

It turns out there are enough super-active antibodies in one's system after a dose of bee/hornet/yellowjacket venom that subsequent stings will cause a severe reaction, and that reaction can happen years after the initial sting(s).

I spent the next 10 years flying with a bee sting kit in my helmet bag, even though I wasn't really allergic to bee stings per se.  I was, however, "sensitized" to the venom, and for all practical purposes, it was just as bad.

Now, when I see a hornet's nest on the house/garage/barn, I get the garden hose out and aim the high-pressure nozzle at the thing, pulping it to mush.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 09:53:16 PM »
I used foam on a nest once , it worked great.
They next day I swear there was one just staring at me, like it was plotting.
it was kind a scary
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 10:02:01 PM »
I'm going to ignore your stipulations and tell you to:

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2009, 10:24:54 PM »
When I was a kid, I remember using a BB gun to knock a nest off my parents house.  They have vinyl siding and I found I could shoot at low power and bounce a BB into the back side of the nest and knock it off.  I must have used a couple hundred BB's trying to get the right angle.  :)  It seemed like the yellow jackets will eventually abandon the next if it is on the ground.  Shooting mud daubers out at our pond was a fun also. 

I have found dirt/mud daubers to be very tame.  You almost have to grab them to get them to sting.  I know this because the only time I ever got stung by a wasp was a type of mud dauber.  It buzzed my head and I swatted at it with my cap.  About 30 minutes later watching TV, I got stung on the back of my head.  Not fun.  The paper wasps are much more aggressive.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2009, 11:43:05 PM »
I used foam on a nest once , it worked great.
They next day I swear there was one just staring at me, like it was plotting.
it was kind a scary

Last summer a queen set up a nest outside my front door.  She'd watch me as I left for work, and when I'd come home in the evening.  Later her brood would watch as I left, all turning toward me when the door opened and later when I returned. 

I did not bother them, so they habituated and did not bother me. 

By mid July I noted a distinct absense of mosqitoes and such near my porch and patio, while my neighbors across the way swatted the blood suckers and anything else that flew about. 

Misionaries wanting to talk to me about GAWD! were sparse last year, at least at MY door.  Even though I watched them make heavy rounds in the neighborhood.  Funny that....

No such cohabitants outside this summer 

Anybody need some extra tracts about the Glory of GAWD!  ???  I have plenty of this years crop.

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 11:47:18 PM »
WELL, you coul-

a. firearms
b. gasoline
c. explosives

Balls.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 11:56:08 PM »
Starter Fluid

and a lighter

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 12:49:17 AM »
'Green' method: Get a broom to knock down the nest, and use the broom and your Jedi skills to kill off any and all survivors.

Preferred method: Use copious amounts of Raid and knock the nest down with a broom later. 

Edited to add better ideas.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:31:16 AM by Fistful Savalas »