Author Topic: Wasp Nest by Front Door-what to do?  (Read 14472 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Re: Wasp Nest by Front Door-what to do?
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 01:29:12 AM »
   What you really need is a stepladder, a rolled up newspaper with a lil gasoline on it, my dad, and a garden hose. With those four items you could easily chill out with a cold beer, safe in the knowledge that the problem was handled (unless he keels over from a heart attack, falls off of the ladder ot sets your house on fire, in which case you might want to have your portable phone handy to dial 911).
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 04:26:57 AM »
Got any tips and techniques that don't involve:
a. firearms
b. gasoline
c. explosives

Well, that eliminates the "what caliber for wasps" input.  =D

We get wasps every year.  As fast as they set up their domiciles, I "nuke" them with whatever wasp spray is on sale at the time.  Almost all of the sprays seem to work fairly well.  If you don't want excitement, spray after dark.  If you have the need to run around screaming like a little girl, do what I do and spray the nests in the daytime.   :lol:  By now I should know better.

If there's a change you are allergic to stings, have someone else do it. 

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 05:43:04 AM »
I specifically have not advocated mailing the nest to Washington, D.C., which doubtless would be a violation of innumerable laws.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 07:12:54 AM »
yikes, I clicked on wicki then the asian giant hornet...scary!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 08:18:48 AM »

=D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 11:04:17 AM »
Now I've got a nest by the front door.  It's spreading. 

(This is both a personal affront to me, and an insult to God and our American Way of Life.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2009, 11:21:29 AM »
That wasp looks really mad!  :O
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2009, 11:31:57 AM »
During USAF Combat Survival, I managed to step into a yellowjacket nest nestled in a cedar fall.  I took almost 100 stings, but pressed on, thinking it was a one-time thing and I'd never have to worry about it again.  (I wasn't going to wash out of that course just for getting stung, come hell or high water)

Mother of God...

100 Yellowjacket stings? Damn.

I had no idea about the sensitivitie to bee stings. I think I will get me an epi pen perscription next time I go to the doc.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2009, 11:32:53 AM »
It's one of those Giant Asian Hornets that Gunsmith mentioned. Crazy stuff.

Have you guys seen 30 hornets vs. 30,000 bees?
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2009, 11:40:38 AM »
  =(

Now I want my mommy...  =(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
Actually gasoline is a pretty good without the use of flame.  Fire is merely an added feature.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 01:51:18 PM »

Does that remind anyone else of the "Bugs" in Starship Troopers?
I thought the Percocet gave me bad dreams.  Dayum!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2009, 02:20:57 PM »
Does that remind anyone else of the "Bugs" in Starship Troopers?
I thought the Percocet gave me bad dreams.  Dayum!
I was reminded of Jedi kicking droid ass.....
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »
During USAF Combat Survival, I managed to step into a yellowjacket nest nestled in a cedar fall.  I took almost 100 stings, but pressed on...

I thought my 30-plus stings after stepping on an underground hornets nest was bad.  Yikes.
I had no adverse reaction, though, despite being diagnosed years earlier with a bee sting allergy.  Different venom.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2009, 02:40:41 PM »
The suck part was that my survival instructor, upon realizing that I had stepped into the underground nest, had the rest of the squad slowly back away as I was taking hits. 

Serves me right for being the point man on that particular orienteering leg. 

Now I know where there's a cedar fall, there are probably yellow jacket nests, too.   
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »
The one that nailed me was in a small hole in the ground.  They went right up my pant leg.  My first thought when they started hitting me was, "My leg is on fire."  It was dusk, and I remember looking down at my leg, initially puzzled that I could not see any flames.
Then I noticed my little dog dancing around a few yards away.  The last time I had seen her behaving that way was when she had spooked a bees nest.  That turned into a lightbulb moment.
I was helping a friend put up a dipole antenna between a couple of Douglas fir trees at the edge of the forest behind his house at the time.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2009, 03:05:58 PM »
As much as it caused me to carry a bee sting kit for all those years, I'd still love to go back to the Colville National Forest.

It was beautiful out there, even when we had to live off the land for a week and sleep under low-hanging pine boughs.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2009, 11:20:59 PM »
Just found out today that aerosolized citrus oil does a number on them too.

We keep a can of "Pure Citrus" air freshener around, and I decided to use it today to rid my Explorer (which has been sitting unused for a while because it needs to be brought into the repair shop and I haven't had time yet) of a bunch of paper wasp nests, because I don't have any RAID around and I don't think I'd want to use it on/in my car anyway.  The wasps were all on their nests since it had just rained, and I sprayed them down fairly liberally with it.  They dropped off the nest a few seconds later, and stopped twitching about a minute after I hit them.

And now my rig smells like oranges.

:lol:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

zahc

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2009, 11:36:07 PM »
Actually gasoline is a pretty good without the use of flame.  Fire is merely an added feature.

True; I remember trying to torch underground yellow jackets by pouring gasoline down the hole and lighting it. Because of the air-fuel mixture, it never would light, but it still killed the nest.

I had no adverse reaction, though, despite being diagnosed years earlier with a bee sting allergy.  Different venom.

I've had similar experience. I got stung on the cheek in a hit-and-run attack by a single unidentified bee-like insect while I was mowing...possibly a hornet. My whole face swelled up pretty bad and I had to take benadryl. A few months later I stuck my leg in a yellow jacket nest while fishing and got stung probably a dozen times, and they were no more irritating than bad mosquito bites.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2009, 11:56:02 PM »
Just found out today that aerosolized citrus oil does a number on them too.

We keep a can of "Pure Citrus" air freshener around, and I decided to use it today to rid my Explorer (which has been sitting unused for a while because it needs to be brought into the repair shop and I haven't had time yet) of a bunch of paper wasp nests, because I don't have any RAID around and I don't think I'd want to use it on/in my car anyway.  The wasps were all on their nests since it had just rained, and I sprayed them down fairly liberally with it.  They dropped off the nest a few seconds later, and stopped twitching about a minute after I hit them.

And now my rig smells like oranges.

:lol:

The D-Limonene in many citrus products is a potent degreaser, and it melts the waxes insects use to waterproof their chitin shells. With out it, they lose osmotic pressure to almost all their major organ systems and die quickly.
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2009, 06:24:26 AM »

Agreed....gas fumes kills them off quite well....then, when you knock the nest off to a safe location, destruction is much easier...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2009, 12:50:11 PM »
High pressure water hose. Or just a regular garden hose with your thumb covering most of the tip, (effectivly turning it into a high pressure water hose) destroy from at least 10 feet away. Then napalm the remainder just to be sure.

slugcatcher

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2009, 03:36:51 PM »
Whenever the mormon missionaries ride by on their bikes they always ask if there is anything I need help with..........

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2009, 04:25:39 PM »
The D-Limonene in many citrus products is a potent degreaser, and it melts the waxes insects use to waterproof their chitin shells. With out it, they lose osmotic pressure to almost all their major organ systems and die quickly.
That sounds particularly evil and nasty! I have to try that next time I need to get rid of annoying bugs! >:D
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2009, 04:39:07 PM »

That may be the most awesome tidbit I've ever read.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.