Author Topic: Wasp Nest by Front Door-what to do?  (Read 14471 times)

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
Re: Wasp Nest by Front Door-what to do?
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2009, 07:23:27 PM »

That may be the most awesome tidbit I've ever read.

Yeah, me too.
It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2009, 08:17:53 PM »
The D-Limonene in many citrus products is a potent degreaser, and it melts the waxes insects use to waterproof their chitin shells. With out it, they lose osmotic pressure to almost all their major organ systems and die quickly.

I have some citrus bug killer, but it must be low on the limonene because it takes forever to work.  Sometimes, I think the bugs just lick it off and run away.

If you want to use a biodegradable de-greaser, go with Simple Green.  It's much cheaper, and fully-concentrated will kill very quickly.  I discovered it's power one morning when a red wasp was flying around in the bathroom and landed just out of safe smacking range.  I squirted the wasp to get it to move and it just dropped on the countertop, wiggled around a bit and checked out.  I've utilized SG with great success against ants and roaches, as well.  Killin' and cleanin' at the same time, what more could you want?  A better smell, perhaps.

Disclaimer:  I have not tried spraying Simple Green on a whole nest of angry wasps.  If you do so, you are aware that the results are unknown and may include a silly, fear-driven dance viewed curiously by your neighbors, painful stinging, anaphylaxis, followed possibly by coma and/or death, most likely in that order.  I would advise using the buddy system.  If you are stung and find yourself having difficulty breathing and/or unusual swelling, your buddy can be standing by with epinephrine, antihistamines, grandma's secret poultice, and a phone to call 911.  Better yet, have your buddy spray the wasps, while you observe from a safe distance.
For entertainment purposes only.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2009, 10:36:52 PM »
I have some citrus bug killer, but it must be low on the limonene because it takes forever to work.  Sometimes, I think the bugs just lick it off and run away.

Probably has a really low citrus concentration (which is what has the limonene).

The stuff I have is 100% pure citrus oil. It's concentrated enough to be considered an eye/skin irritant. 

Wal-Mart has it in the air-freshener isle for about $2 a can, IIRC.  Good stuff; both as an air freshener and as a bug killer.   =D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2009, 09:53:01 AM »
Probably has a really low citrus concentration (which is what has the limonene).

The stuff I have is 100% pure citrus oil. It's concentrated enough to be considered an eye/skin irritant. 

Wal-Mart has it in the air-freshener isle for about $2 a can, IIRC.  Good stuff; both as an air freshener and as a bug killer.   =D
Cool.  $2 a can is cheaper than most wasp spray.  I might have to try it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2009, 10:52:51 AM »
Whenever the mormon missionaries ride by on their bikes they always ask if there is anything I need help with..........

Pure win!  Call some missionaires over, give 'em a broom and say "have at it!"
 :laugh:

It's one of those Giant Asian Hornets that Gunsmith mentioned. Crazy stuff.

Have you guys seen 30 hornets vs. 30,000 bees?

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!!!!
That clip needs this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVL9PD3sN7M

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

crt360

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2009, 03:16:23 PM »

Wal-Mart has it in the air-freshener isle for about $2 a can, IIRC.  Good stuff; both as an air freshener and as a bug killer.   =D

I checked and the citrus stuff I have is only 5.8% D-limonene.  I might try it in some iced tea.  :)
For entertainment purposes only.