Author Topic: Sometimes, you've got to wonder about people  (Read 14524 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Sometimes, you've got to wonder about people
« on: December 02, 2010, 12:12:19 PM »
This is turning into one of those days when I'm seriously concerned about the future of the human race.

1.  There's a bit of snow/ice on the ground here in central Ohio.  It is December after all.  I'm behind a car in traffic. We're stopped at a red light.  Light turns green, and I watch the little front-wheel drive car in front of me as I hear the tires start to spin on the ice/snow.  And I watch as the car starts that slide to the side when the tires are spinning with no real traction.  And the car keeps sliding, and I her the engine actually revving up instead of backing off.  Sure enough, the tire hits pavement, and the car accellerates rapidly, right over the curb, across the sidewalk, and into a fence.  Good news was that there was a cruiser coming towards us, so I could just go on my way, and ignore this idiot.

2.  In court, and putting a guy on probation for assault, resisting arrest, and some other minor charges, and tell him that if he violates after he's released from jail today, he can be sent to jail for up to an additional 2 years by the time all of the sentences are added up.  He then pipes up, tells his lawyer to shut the f@#k up, and tells me that he's going to kick my f@#king a$$ if he's not home for Christmas.  I've already told him he's going home on Probation, and repeat this to him.  He tells me to perform a sex act on him involving my mouth, stands up, spits at me, and flips the table over.  He gets introduced to the wall, then the foor, while I order the hearing continued, and him remanded to jail until the next hearing in January, 2011.

3.  I log on here at lunch and find several PM's about my recent coyote threads.  All names have been removed to protect the innocent and guilty alike.  One advises me that I should just carry my shotgun  around during our walks, as it is useful against coyotes, snakes, and two legged varmin.  Another suggests that I get proactive and start shooting coyotes as I see them with a .22 rifle.  A third recommends that I might want to think about getting a .223 rifle, like an M4, to carry during walks because it's got the longer range to be effective against coyotes as they run back to the pack.  A fourth berates me, and says that if it wasn't for treehuggers like me who don't want to hurt some animal who tries to attack me or my dog, there wouldn't be a problem with coyotes.  A fifth told me I might want to consider getting a CCW permit and carry a pistol just in case.

Maybe I'm just having one of those days, but did someone declare today to be act like an idiot day???

Rant off, back to my ham and salami sandwich.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Sometimes, you've got to wonder about people
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:17:28 PM »
Real men carry Garands on their dog walks.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:18:30 PM »
3.  I log on here at lunch and find several PM's about my recent coyote threads.  All names have been removed to protect the innocent and guilty alike.  One advises me that I should just carry my shotgun  around during our walks, as it is useful against coyotes, snakes, and two legged varmin.  Another suggests that I get proactive and start shooting coyotes as I see them with a .22 rifle.  A third recommends that I might want to think about getting a .223 rifle, like an M4, to carry during walks because it's got the longer range to be effective against coyotes as they run back to the pack.  A fourth berates me, and says that if it wasn't for treehuggers like me who don't want to hurt some animal who tries to attack me or my dog, there wouldn't be a problem with coyotes.  A fifth told me I might want to consider getting a CCW permit and carry a pistol just in case.

Maybe I'm just having one of those days, but did someone declare today to be act like an idiot day???

Rant off, back to my ham and salami sandwich.

Hey, I'm insulted:

Why no inclusion of my suggestion of a detcord collar as a last resort for your dog if the pack gets him?

Ohhhh, you were only listing bad ideas, my mistake.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 01:10:28 PM »
2.  In court, and putting a guy on probation for assault, resisting arrest, and some other minor charges, and tell him that if he violates after he's released from jail today, he can be sent to jail for up to an additional 2 years by the time all of the sentences are added up.  He then pipes up, tells his lawyer to shut the f@#k up, and tells me that he's going to kick my f@#king a$$ if he's not home for Christmas.  I've already told him he's going home on Probation, and repeat this to him.  He tells me to perform a sex act on him involving my mouth, stands up, spits at me, and flips the table over.  He gets introduced to the wall, then the foor, while I order the hearing continued, and him remanded to jail until the next hearing in January, 2011.

It's probably not something that falls within the realm of professional decorum for one in your position, but if I were in your shoes, I might be just the eensiest bit tempted to send the lad a Christmas care package containing a picture of my arse and a note saying "sorry you won't have the opportunity to kick it.  Here, kiss it, instead."

That would probably be a Wrong Thing to do.

I know that because all of the Wrong Things come from the voice behind my left shoulder.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:16:49 PM »
Well - when driving to town yesterday I had to pull over several times to let people pass because I refused to drive faster than 45-50mph on the ice covered road.  ;/

Sometimes I think the whole world is insane exept for me, and that's driving me crazy  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
1.  There's a bit of snow/ice on the ground here in central Ohio.  It is December after all.  I'm behind a car in traffic. We're stopped at a red light.  Light turns green, and I watch the little front-wheel drive car in front of me as I hear the tires start to spin on the ice/snow.  And I watch as the car starts that slide to the side when the tires are spinning with no real traction.  And the car keeps sliding, and I her the engine actually revving up instead of backing off.  Sure enough, the tire hits pavement, and the car accellerates rapidly, right over the curb, across the sidewalk, and into a fence.  Good news was that there was a cruiser coming towards us, so I could just go on my way, and ignore this idiot.

There's a long hill on northbound Kipling before it gets to 38th Avenue.  Every time it snows, there's a couple of "The car wouldn't stop" accidents coming down that hill.

No.  You couldn't make the car stop because you were driving too fast for conditions.

Now, that's what I call "swift and terrible justice."

You're wrong, by the way. This is "Idiot Week."

Terry, 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:26:35 PM »
Having grown up and lived in various Snow Belt cities, I can relate to the first incident - I call them "Digital Drivers" - on icy surfaces, either the brake or the gas pedal are pressed to the floor, there's no in between.

As far as Incident 2 is concerned . . . having served as a juror a couple of times and watched people represent themselves in court, I know there are some amazingly stupid people, but this is beyond the pale . . . maybe the perp's home situation is such that he actually prefers a jail cell?

. . .  A fifth told me I might want to consider getting a CCW permit and carry a pistol just in case.
What's wrong with that idea - and not just for coyotes? Having a CCW doesn't mean you're going to become a trigger happy dolt, it just means you'll be discretely prepared, and have a choice of how to react. (It worked for the Governor of Texas.)

Well - when driving to town yesterday I had to pull over several times to let people pass because I refused to drive faster than 45-50mph on the ice covered road.  ;/
Once when driving from MN to IL through WI, I was driving about 35 in a 70 zone in the lane that was least icy. A moron, after honking his horn at me to pull over onto the worse part of the interstate so he could pass (fat chance!) eventually roared by, flipping me the bird as he did so.

I caught up to him about 5 miles later . . . his car was spanning the ditch alongside the road, supported by the front and rear bumpers. A State Trooper was approaching, so I drove on, thinking "Karma is REAL!!!  =D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »
I caught up to him about 5 miles later . . . his car was spanning the ditch alongside the road

29 years ago, my new bride and I drove about 40 miles to pick up her brother at a nearby town.  He was coming home from college and that was as far as his other took him.  It was the evening before thanksgiving and both the traffic and the roads were horrible.  Lots of cars slid off the road everywhere but I kept plugging along in her old VW bug, scraping ice off the inside of windshield.

We were heading back and almost home when another car came up in the left lane to pass.  He got directly even with me when I hear this awful scraping scratching noise.  I looked left and saw the short distance between our car and his slowly increase until he hit the soft snow at the edge and spun around.  =D

I wasn't going to stop out there for anything!   >:D

It was within walking distance to an exit and phones.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 02:02:18 PM »
Coyote Option 3a. Carry an M4gery with a AOW shorty Rem 870 12ga slung where the M203 would go.  And a tactical wheelbarrow.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 02:51:01 PM »
I'm afraid it may be catching.  Just dropped a speedloader in the toilet, right before I flushed.  Good thing I've got more ammo, and HKS loaders are cheap.

Funny thing about the coyote deal.  I was just looking for info about behaviors, if they are skittish, etc., not the crap you read on Wiki/PETA/etc.  I know some of you have real experience, so I was looking for that information.  Yet so many people took it as "I want to hunt coyotes with my dog," or missed the "I live in the suburbs."  Can't carry a long gun in the suburbs without getting lots of unwanted attention from the local PD, and probably the SWAT team at that. Even if I could, I'd worry about touching off a .223 round when the houses are that close together.  A shotgun, maybe with smaller shot...maybe I should think about a Taurus Judge, or a cruiser model Mossberg and a leather trenchcoat.   =D

I have a CCW permit, thank you very much.  And, I only hug trees after way to much to drink.   :laugh:

The now jailbird is in solitary...head-butted a deputy on arrival at the jail.  Now facing felony charges.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »
maybe I should think about a Taurus Judge

FTFY.

:angel:

[/JudgeHate]
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »
The now jailbird is in solitary...head-butted a deputy on arrival at the jail.  Now facing felony charges.
You must have a nice jail, for the perp to like it so much he doesn't want to leave.  ;/

As for hugging trees . . . even after way too much to drink, don't hug them below, say, waist level of the previous inebriated man . . . you know, the one who was, uh, done with his beer. :O
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 03:04:16 PM »
"The now jailbird is in solitary...head-butted a deputy on arrival at the jail.  Now facing felony charges."

Somewhat slower but even terribler justice.

Good thing you offered him probation, but it sounds as if this guy has a "why can't we all just get along?" problem and shouldn't be on the streets anyhow.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 03:05:58 PM »
A shotgun, maybe with smaller shot...maybe I should think about a Taurus Judge, or a cruiser model Mossberg and a leather trenchcoat.

Which is why I said that it's a pity that a sawed off (maybe 6" barrel?) is such legal hassle.  If you had to shoot one in the suburbs, shot is a better option that either handgun or rifle.

The thing about coyotes is that they are infinitely adaptable, and there's really no predicting them at all.  They usually run away, unless they don't.  Lately I've seen more and more that just stand and look at you, like "oh yeah?  whatcha gonna do...?  :P "

Before (when was it ... earlier this year?) I would never have believed that coyotes would kill a healthy adult - even a petite and pretty folksinger  :O

I don't want them to be eradicated, but I shoot every one that I get the chance, which isn't very often.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »
Funny thing about the coyote deal.  I was just looking for info about behaviors, if they are skittish, etc., not the crap you read on Wiki/PETA/etc.  I know some of you have real experience, so I was looking for that information.  Yet so many people took it as "I want to hunt coyotes with my dog," or missed the "I live in the suburbs."  Can't carry a long gun in the suburbs without getting lots of unwanted attention from the local PD, and probably the SWAT team at that. Even if I could, I'd worry about touching off a .223 round when the houses are that close together.  A shotgun, maybe with smaller shot...maybe I should think about a Taurus Judge, or a cruiser model Mossberg and a leather trenchcoat.   =D

I have a CCW permit, thank you very much.  And, I only hug trees after way to much to drink.   :laugh:

Sorry about the coyote thread.  Even here, folks can be hard of understanding.  Don't take it too hard, it's still better than most of humanity.

As for the guy, brilliant.  Truly.  Sober?

I have a semiserious question.  I understand most (all?) courts transcript the proceedings.  Do they include things like the comments the guy made?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 04:20:57 PM »
Sorry about the coyote thread.  Even here, folks can be hard of understanding.  Don't take it too hard, it's still better than most of humanity.
As for the guy, brilliant.  Truly.  Sober?
I have a semiserious question.  I understand most (all?) courts transcript the proceedings.  Do they include things like the comments the guy made?

In order of presentation:  I like it here very much, which is why I keep posting my gun questions here.  Better answers, and fewer negative comments about my decision to only carry a .380/.39/9mm, etc.

Yes he was sober today, after spending the last three weeks in jail.  Just dumb or crazy.

As for transcripts, yep.  Every word. We use digital recordings on a computer, then pay for transcripts as needed.  If the files weren't protected, I'd try making an MP3 of some of teh "greatest hits" and posting for all of your amusement...

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 04:38:42 PM »
Ohhhh, mannnn, I can't resist.... Please forgive me, yeronner, but...

380/.39/9mm, etc.

Probation?  Please?  I've got to be home at Christmas.

And I promise not to carry my .46 any more and will run out and buy a .39 right away.

I'm not signing this one so nobody (especially hizonner) will know who posted it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:49:42 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 06:18:20 PM »
Chris, after reading your story, I wonder if some of you judge-types are just in it for the lulz.

I used to have trouble remembering which day to act like an idiot. So now I just do it every day.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 06:22:33 PM »
Drivers are nutz. Twice within he past week I have encountered enough loonies on the streets that I have commented to my wife that the locals are celebrating "Get Hawkmoon Day" way too often.

As for the coyotes, I am following the advice closely. My issue is slightly different. We also live in a 'burb. Coyotes have entered the area as of a couple/few years ago, and my wife and I are now the custodians of her granddaughter's toy poodle. I've fenced in an area of the front yard so the toodle can "go" without our worrying that she'll run off, but I don't think the fence is enough to stop a hungry 'yote. So I keep reminding my wife not to let the toodle out during the day unless she keeps an eye on her, and at night I stand armed guard.

I'm trying to decide whether it would be a good idea or a Very Bad Idea to bait the 'yotes into the yard so I'd have an excuse to terminate them with prejudice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 07:02:04 PM »
Is there any way that you could sentence the guy to a few years of remedial education classes?  I highly doubt he even knew what probation means. 
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 07:10:19 PM »
i suspect he and his peers know quite a bit about probation and parole
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 07:13:49 PM »
i suspect he and his peers know quite a bit about probation and parole

This.  I'm thinking batshit crazy was involved, and maybe some drugs/withdrawls.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »
or hes a real punk and was trying to build some rep before they send him to the country. hoping that this time he wouldn't have to write to mom and ask her to send makeup and pantyhose to him
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 07:30:40 PM »
This.  I'm thinking bat**it crazy was involved, and maybe some drugs/withdrawls.

I'm thinking he's a guy with phenomenally poor judgment and a tendency to commit violence. Hence the assault charge, then head-butting a deputy.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 07:51:12 PM »

Sometimes I think the whole world is insane exept for me, and that's driving me crazy  ;)

Did you create a traffic jam in your town?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.