Author Topic: Sometimes, you've got to wonder about people  (Read 14525 times)

Lee

• friend
Re: Sometimes, you've got to wonder about people
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 08:00:11 PM »
People are kinda like weather....you just have to dress properly. I want to believe that every day will be mild and sunny....but I always prepare myself for some kind of *expletive deleted*it to fall from the sky.  
Most folks are pretty decent, but there certainly is no shortage of idiots.  Working in the court system, I'm sure you see the less-than-gifted on a regular basis.  I had to go down to Children's hospital in Columbus this week - OMG -it was raining creatons in the waiting room down there.  The health care problem could be solved with the money those people had spent on tattoos.  It does make you wonder.  Motivated me to buy a new (to me) Sig and more ammo today.  

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 08:10:24 PM »

2.  In court, and putting a guy on probation for assault, resisting arrest, and some other minor charges, and tell him that if he violates after he's released from jail today, he can be sent to jail for up to an additional 2 years by the time all of the sentences are added up.  He then pipes up, tells his lawyer to shut the f@#k up, and tells me that he's going to kick my f@#king a$$ if he's not home for Christmas.  I've already told him he's going home on Probation, and repeat this to him.  He tells me to perform a sex act on him involving my mouth, stands up, spits at me, and flips the table over.  He gets introduced to the wall, then the foor, while I order the hearing continued, and him remanded to jail until the next hearing in January, 2011.

I especially liked this one.  :angel:

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 10:28:43 PM »
While I'm generally opposed to their use in LE I'd love to hear how well the tasers worked on your new friend. Or did they skip that and move straight to a "Gee I hope no one is filming this" good old fashioned beat-down? Either way, his bill probably isn't paid yet, wake him up and hit him again.  :police:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 12:06:20 AM »
As for transcripts, yep.  Every word. We use digital recordings on a computer, then pay for transcripts as needed.  If the files weren't protected, I'd try making an MP3 of some of teh "greatest hits" and posting for all of your amusement...

I thought court transcripts were public record unless sealed?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 06:10:00 AM »
This is turning into one of those days when I'm seriously concerned about the future of the human race.

2.  In court, and putting a guy on probation for assault, resisting arrest, and some other minor charges, and tell him that if he violates after he's released from jail today, he can be sent to jail for up to an additional 2 years by the time all of the sentences are added up.  He then pipes up, tells his lawyer to shut the f@#k up, and tells me that he's going to kick my f@#king a$$ if he's not home for Christmas.  I've already told him he's going home on Probation, and repeat this to him.  He tells me to perform a sex act on him involving my mouth, stands up, spits at me, and flips the table over.  He gets introduced to the wall, then the foor, while I order the hearing continued, and him remanded to jail until the next hearing in January, 2011.

Some people just don't know when to shut up.....  :facepalm:

3.  I log on here at lunch and find several PM's about my recent coyote threads.  All names have been removed to protect the innocent and guilty alike.  One advises me that I should just carry my shotgun  around during our walks, as it is useful against coyotes, snakes, and two legged varmin.  Another suggests that I get proactive and start shooting coyotes as I see them with a .22 rifle.  A third recommends that I might want to think about getting a .223 rifle, like an M4, to carry during walks because it's got the longer range to be effective against coyotes as they run back to the pack.  A fourth berates me, and says that if it wasn't for treehuggers like me who don't want to hurt some animal who tries to attack me or my dog, there wouldn't be a problem with coyotes.  A fifth told me I might want to consider getting a CCW permit and carry a pistol just in case.

Gunwriter Michael Bane often takes a Bond Arms .410 derringer with him on his dog walks. I'd imagine a birdshot round would scare off any coyotes...and a buckshot round wouldn't leave them time to be scared....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 08:28:43 AM »
3.  I log on here at lunch and find several PM's about my recent coyote threads.  All names have been removed to protect the innocent and guilty alike.  One advises me that I should just carry my shotgun  around during our walks, as it is useful against coyotes, snakes, and two legged varmin.  Another suggests that I get proactive and start shooting coyotes as I see them with a .22 rifle.  A third recommends that I might want to think about getting a .223 rifle, like an M4, to carry during walks because it's got the longer range to be effective against coyotes as they run back to the pack.  A fourth berates me, and says that if it wasn't for treehuggers like me who don't want to hurt some animal who tries to attack me or my dog, there wouldn't be a problem with coyotes.  A fifth told me I might want to consider getting a CCW permit and carry a pistol just in case.

Yeesh. Everyone knows the .223 is only good for shooting poodles, what you need to carry is an M-14 clone or FAL. Some people's kids. ;/

:lol:
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 10:08:46 AM »
Gunwriter Michael Bane often takes a Bond Arms .410 derringer with him on his dog walks. I'd imagine a birdshot round would scare off any coyotes...and a buckshot round wouldn't leave them time to be scared....

A derringer?  I thought there was the possibility of a pack somewhere in the near distance.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2010, 10:19:47 AM »
Late to the thread, but:

1) I seem to go weeks without seeing crappy drivers, then all of the sudden in one day, usually on my way to work, the crappy drivers come out of the woodwork and are all in the cars closest to me.

2) I know it wasn't fun for you to deal with, but I couldn't help laughing out loud when I read that. If he wasn't doing it as part of a tough guy routine (or even if he was) I can't help picturing him butting his head against the wall of his cell as he recalls his stupidity (or learns about it when his lawyer tells him what "probation" means), especially as December 25 approaches. :)

3) I think I mentioned in your coyote thread how a hunting guide berated me for not shooting coyotes while I was hunting pigs. He also seemed to think I was some kind of enviro or something, versus a guy who just hunts what he eats. I've actually noticed some (though not the majority of) varmint hunters can actually be a bit like enviros. Just like when an enviro gets in my face about why I drive a truck instead of a Prius. Even though when I explain the "hunt/eat" thing, most guys will be cool, some, like the pig guide, will pull an enviro style rant about my not killing them on sight. I figure if a guy wants to shoot a coyote, that's his business and okay with me. If I don't, the same should apply.

PS - I did shoot a coyote that killed my mom and sister's cats. I didn't eat him.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »
 The health care problem could be solved with the money those people had spent on tattoos.  It does make you wonder.  

That has always been my main anger point. If you can budget $$ for tats, rims for your car, cigs, or bling bling teeth, you can save for emergencies and then others would not have to subsidize your ass.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2010, 10:43:17 AM »
That has always been my main anger point. If you can budget $$ for tats, rims for your car, cigs, or bling bling teeth, you can save for emergencies and then others would not have to subsidize your ass.

This reminded me of a saying we have in healthcare, in EMS or the emergency room: the tooth to tattoo ratio.  The less teeth you have or the more tattoos you have, the more indestructible the patient seems.  They shrug off trauma that would kill lesser people.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »
I thought court transcripts were public record unless sealed?

They are.  When I said protected, I meant the software.  I tried a couple of times to make soundfiles, and there's something about this software that indicates the file is copy protected, and won't let me convert it to MP3. 

Not a legal issue.  More like a "lack of computer savy" issue on my part.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »
You mentioned a problem with losing an HKS loader.  I was lusting after an 8 shot 357 revolver S&W makes.  They are apparently cutting the pro-series pistols to be able to use moon clips.  IMO, that makes using and reloading revolvers a hell of a lot easier and faster. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2010, 12:05:48 PM »
Having had the subject of the speedloader mentioned again, I will confess to an abiding curiosity as to how it came to suffer such ignominy.

The story, please.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
Having had the subject of the speedloader mentioned again, I will confess to an abiding curiosity as to how it came to suffer such ignominy.

The story, please.

stay safe.

And its fate.  Was it consigned to the deeps of the sewers, or was it retrieved and (hopefully) rinsed off?

=D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2010, 02:07:42 PM »
PS - I did shoot a coyote that killed my mom and sister's cats. I didn't eat him.

If a coyote killed my sister's cats I would let it go, but killing my mom is where I draw the line.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2010, 02:14:09 PM »
^  Dam!

What, do I hafta stay on line 60/60/24/7/365.25?

Blast!  Beat me to it, CNYCacher.  I, too, hate dangling modifiers or whatever you call 'em.

Terry,  :facepalm: , 230RN

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2010, 03:03:20 PM »
Grammar Nazis. :P  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2010, 03:09:59 PM »

That's the thing, they aren't budgeting for em.  They have a three-paycheck month and go "whulllooook! I got some extra money.  I have been fiscooally responsible.  I deserve a present!"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2010, 03:25:11 PM »
Late to the thread, but:

to bad, the yotes here are to afraid to eat our cats, I need the one that bit me eaten by a yote because missus ranch owner is found of it so I'm not allowed to shoot it.

Tallpine, http://www.spinner.com/2009/10/29/folk-singer-taylor-mitchell-killed-by-coyotes/?icid=main
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2010, 04:08:20 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »
Grammar Nazis. :P  :laugh:

Bad grammar is something up with which I will not put.  (BTW, I, too, would not have harmed a cat-eating coyote. "Good Doggy!"  =D )

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 07:23:27 PM »
(BTW, I, too, would not have harmed a cat-eating coyote. "Good Doggy!"  =D )

Normally I wouldn't either, but Ma and sis were crying. Plus he took the cats in my folks' yard, which crossed way over the "You leave me alone and I'll leave you alone" line. :)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2010, 09:06:24 PM »
They are.  When I said protected, I meant the software.  I tried a couple of times to make soundfiles, and there's something about this software that indicates the file is copy protected, and won't let me convert it to MP3. 

Not a legal issue.  More like a "lack of computer savy" issue on my part.

Heh, some folks could fix that in short order...

Burn it to CD.  Send.  We'll sort it out for ya.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2010, 10:52:49 AM »
Saw a coyote the other night, here:

Where one is manifestly NOT allowed to carry a loaded firearm.
D. R. ZINN

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2010, 11:35:25 AM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.