Author Topic: firefly fans rejoice  (Read 14549 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: firefly fans rejoice
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 12:35:57 AM »

They're just playing reruns, not filming new episodes. 

I'd seriously pay a LOT of cash for new episodes.  On the plus side, they're being shown in HD...  ooo, shiny
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 12:53:41 AM »
I quite forgot to post this here. I must be getting senile in my....errrr? What are we talking about? The dog want's vanilla!

Nathan Fillion said he would buy the rights and start producing new episodes if he had the money.

And now there's a group set up to try and make that happen.

http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com/

The Io9 story

I'm sure there are trust issues involved here with the collecting of funds but I love the overall idea.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:46:55 AM »
i need to confess  i've never seen any firefly.  i've been fighting the urge  afraid i might like it. 
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 01:52:59 AM »
If you like guns and beautiful women watch it just for those. If you like the setting and the stories, bonus.

The only knock I have against the series was that some of it's action sequences could have been better.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 02:45:12 AM »
If you like westerns, and you like sci fi...  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 03:03:22 AM »
i do!  i just went without tv for more than a decade

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 05:40:24 AM »
I love Firefly.

But, Wash it dead.  Book is dead.  River isn't nutso anymore.  And the Federation was exposed with Miranda.

Whedon wrapped it up very nicely with that movie.

Fillion would have to buy rights to the property, including the Serenity movie, and he would then have to deep-six the Serenity movie to relaunch Firefly as a series.

Or he'd have to come up with some effing awesome replacement characters and another awesome villain that would appeal to the libertarian-geek audience like the Federation did.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:24:44 AM »
i need to confess  i've never seen any firefly.  i've been fighting the urge  afraid i might like it. 

Your fear is justified.  It has everything a good story needs, whatever the genre: plot, character development, good writing & execution.

My dad, born <a long time ago> is not a scifi/fantasy fan, thought is was great. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 07:26:37 AM »
looks like i'll get a chance at redemption

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 07:29:19 AM »
My MOTHER liked Firefly!!!!
  :O
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »
I love Firefly.

SPOILERS!

Whedon wrapped it up very nicely with that movie.

Fillion would have to buy rights to the property, including the Serenity movie, and he would then have to deep-six the Serenity movie to relaunch Firefly as a series.

Or he'd have to come up with some effing awesome replacement characters and another awesome villain that would appeal to the libertarian-geek audience like the Federation did.

The new episodes could exist in the gap between the series and the movie.  They could also predate the series
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

CSM Kersh

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »
While the Federation Alliance, may not be a problem, there are still otheer backwater planets Malcom Reynolds and the Serinity crew haven't been to.  And there's a long list of his enemies who might want payback.  And let's not forget the unresolved issue with Inara who has morphed into a damned good looking lizard.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:41:13 PM by CSM Kersh »
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 11:48:23 AM »
I wonder if most die hard Firefly fans are as anti-authority and anti-government in real life as Mal, etc (and me!)  ???

We just watched Serenity (twice!).  I think the series was better because it spent a lot more time on the character development and less on action.

A future Firefly series/movie could start right "what was that?" where the movie ended, or it could jump ahead months or years - the cast could even change somewhat.  The Reavers aren't all dead and the Alliance isn't going to just ignore smugglers, but I agree they need some new problems to solve.

Heck, as far as I'm concerned they could crash land on some remote planet and spend the rest of the time playing cowboys and bad guys.  Back at the Heart of Gold would be nice  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 02:35:24 PM »
Federation?

You guys mean the Alliance, right?  ;)

"miranda has weaked their regime, but they are still powerful."

Mirinda was just the begining of the fall. Their is still work to be done, not to mention the issue of the Blue Sun corperation, which was not addressed at all in the movie. In terms of answering questions, the movie didn't even come close. Books past is still an open book and perhaps could still be opened up (what if he left clues?!?!) And I don't think river is sane after the movie, just a bit more coherent. Plenty could still be done with her.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
Federation?

You guys mean the Alliance, right?  ;)

Oops.  My bad.  Sorry.

Federation = that other space series' totalitarian hippie autocratic marxo-fascist bad guys. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 04:18:08 PM »
Most of the series shows were not done with an Alliance villain chasing them.  They were done with just adventures buying/selling and running cargo in more lawless parts.  Also, that rich guy on the space station who captured Mal and Wash is still around.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
And he probably STILL isn't very happy with Mal.

And what's this about Inara being a lizard? Did I miss something?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 05:00:49 PM »

The actress is playing the leader of the aliens in the re-make of "V" that's on the air right now.
I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »

She's a Gou'ld

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »
Most of the series shows were not done with an Alliance villain chasing them.  They were done with just adventures buying/selling and running cargo in more lawless parts.  Also, that rich guy on the space station who captured Mal and Wash is still around.

[russian accent] they have a reputation, yes, not a very good one, yes? [/russian accent]

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
Let's not forget YoSafBrig   ;) =D =D =D =D =D
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 08:02:07 PM »
[russian accent] they have a reputation, yes, not a very good one, yes? [/russian accent]

Is not reputation. Is fact. Is solid.

I love Firefly.

But, Wash it dead.  Book is dead.  River isn't nutso anymore.  And the Federation was exposed with Miranda.

And Saffron got an office job...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 08:31:25 PM »
There's lots of time between when they picked up the Tam's and Book and the movie to explore the 'verse and those interesting and colorful characters in it.  The first 13 only touched on a few of them.  

Plus they can keep running into YoSafBrig.   :P

Then when they run our of planets/moons to visit, maybe they can do a "after" stories....  With YoSafBrig as the new pilot and Jane's husband.   :O

"You got a wife ??  All I got was a stupid stick that sounds like rain !"

Did I mention that YoSafBrig should be in every other episode, if not every episode ??
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:42:05 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 08:35:05 PM »

Then when they run our of planets/moons to visit, maybe they can do a "after" stories....  With YoSafBrig as the new pilot and Jane's husband.   :O

Did I mention that YoSafBrig should be in every other episode, if not every episode ??

With these criteria I would shell out some serious shekels for new episodes.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.