Author Topic: What Your Beer Says About You  (Read 14616 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: What Your Beer Says About You
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 03:52:34 PM »
A drunk.

Well, I never!  I am totally shocked.

(Oh, wait...yes I have.  Never mind.)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »
If I ever become emperor of the world, all beer labels will have to list the type of hops used and the IBU.  All wine labels will have to list the type and percentage of grapes used. 

I have been too disappointed in buying IPAs that don't have enough IBUs to stun a gnat.  If it says that it has at least 80 IBU, there is a greater chance that I will like it.  And with most wine blends, you are buying in the dark without knowing the specifics of the blend.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »
I have no idea how good/bad this stuff is, but I very much like their commercials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX3F2MAWg44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sGlCgxYZVI

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »
OK, I take it back. After racking the memory banks, I did come up with a favorite beer:

I am not sure if it was because the beer was good, or the location, or the company, but whatever, it is a beer of memories!!!

And when I couldn't get that fine swill, because of location, I often defaulted to this one:

Because, would a P3 flyer drink any other beer, even if it were available? I think not!!

And when in that special place, where beer WAS the best thing going, but still only one step above sewer water, it was this beer:

Now days, I keep Paulaner Oktoberfest in the fridge to cook with.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 12:20:07 AM »
I was searching the intertubes to see if a certain cheap light beer was still being made (Michelob Golden Draft Light) and I came across this gem to describe the modern craft beer drinker.

The simple answer is...15-20 years ago, this was the "cool" beer to be seen drinking regardless of taste. People wanted to be seen drinking what was perceived as being hip by their peer group.

The same thing is happening now. Only now, craf beer is perceived as "cool". If you don't believe me, head to a Chammp's or a Wild Bill's near you and watch the "Jersey Shore" types order craft beers.

I turned 21 before the late 90's microbrew explosion, so premium beer at the time was either Sam Adams, Michelob or imported brews. So I got used to drinking American light beer. I do love wheat beers, but beer snobs seem to crap all over them also.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 03:30:16 AM »
I was searching the intertubes to see if a certain cheap light beer was still being made (Michelob Golden Draft Light) and I came across this gem to describe the modern craft beer drinker.

I turned 21 before the late 90's microbrew explosion, so premium beer at the time was either Sam Adams, Michelob or imported brews. So I got used to drinking American light beer. I do love wheat beers, but beer snobs seem to crap all over them also.
I can't really disagree with that quote, hahaha.

Here in Austin,  I wouldn't be surprised if half of the hobos  drink craft beer every other day.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »
OK, I take it back. After racking the memory banks, I did come up with a favorite beer:

I am not sure if it was because the beer was good, or the location, or the company, but whatever, it is a beer of memories!!!

And when I couldn't get that fine swill, because of location, I often defaulted to this one:

Because, would a P3 flyer drink any other beer, even if it were available? I think not!!

And when in that special place, where beer WAS the best thing going, but still only one step above sewer water, it was this beer:

Now days, I keep Paulaner Oktoberfest in the fridge to cook with.

bob

San Maggoo! 24 flavors to the case. It do bring back a few memories of simpler times.
My last visit to Subic the #1 song was Madonna's "Like a Virgin". The irony was thick.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 09:01:39 AM »
I can't really disagree with that quote, hahaha.

Here in Austin,  I wouldn't be surprised if half of the hobos  drink craft beer every other day.
I find beer snobs kind of annoying anyway.  I really don't care about that bad tasting beer you seem to like.  Go drink it and shut the hell up.  If you want to add Kool-aide or some other crap to your beer, go ahead.  Leave me out of it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 09:09:43 AM »
The cooler on the boat is stocked with Sam Adams, Irish Red and Cream Stout. I had some Oatmeal Stout but we drank all of that, need to get some more. I've also got a bottle of Cpt. Morgans' Private Stock in the locker under the starboard quarter berth.

Try Cruzan black strap.  Thank me later.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »

I know the trend is for MOAR HOPS!!, and that the current pop-culture thing is for evermore bitter brews, but just like too much sugar can ruin a cake, too much vanilla can ruin ice cream, and too much butter can ruin a biscuit, too much hops can (and usually does) ruin an otherwise good beer.  Beer is like everything else, balance.  The hops are supposed to balance the wort's sweetness, not beat it into submission. 

I find the vast majority of craft and microbrew fodder to be undrinkably bitter.  I try to keep an open mind (and palate) by trying as many as I can, but to my taste most of them are over-hopped swill with a premium price tag.  I find a nice, balanced amber (Michelob Amber, Fat Tire, etc) to be just about right for a nice dinner beer.  For sitting around the garage and gabbing, meh.  I'm not picky.  Bud, Coors, and Miller are pretty much interchangeable in that role.  I have to admit that if I'm buying something for the flavor I will often turn to Coors original.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 10:59:02 AM »
I know the trend is for MOAR HOPS!!, and that the current pop-culture thing is for evermore bitter brews, but just like too much sugar can ruin a cake, too much vanilla can ruin ice cream, and too much butter can ruin a biscuit, too much hops can (and usually does) ruin an otherwise good beer.  Beer is like everything else, balance.  The hops are supposed to balance the wort's sweetness, not beat it into submission. 

I simply can't drink those super hoppy beers. I recognize it's a matter of taste, but I have to wonder how many people that drink hoppy IPAs drink them because they actually like them versus drinking them because it's cool.

Caveat of my statement is that I've never been a big beer drinker. I've been drinking a little more lately (as in the last year) via replacing soda with beer for a lot of my meals. I've always liked wheat, ever since one of my uncles hooked me on it in Germany. Otherwise I've mostly drunk "cheap" beers like MGD for BBQ drinking. In the last year or so, I've come to enjoy that taste of some stouts and porters. Even though I guess they are "hoppy", the other tastes of those beers seems to mask that for me.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 03:18:48 PM »
I've had some hoppy beers that were downright delicious.
Rio Blanco Pale Ale is one of my favorites, alongside with Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

For socializing and swilling, I usually grab Shiner Bock.

Everything out of Saint Arnold's is good, but some of their seasonal stuff is extraordinary.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »
I personally like craft beers for their taste, even though I'll still drink lighter American beers (Miller High Life is a fav).

That said, I'm not a fan of hops either.  My personal tastes runs towards more malt, so I tend to like dark english ales like Wychwood's Hobgoblin or Old Speckled Hen.

Chris

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
It is interesting to me how my taste for highly-hopped beers and full-bodied red wines has increased as I have gotten older.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 08:30:54 PM »
No bitter beer face for me.

Somebody gives me an IPA, I decline.  I won't even boil bratwurst in that stuff.   =(
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
Gewehr, not all IPAs are very bitter.  Dogfish Head Ale makes a good IPA that isn't bitter. 

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2013, 08:51:26 PM »
Gewehr, not all IPAs are very bitter.  Dogfish Head Ale makes a good IPA that isn't bitter. 

Chris

I hate to disagree but I've tried the DHA and it's still bitter to my non-IPA-aficionado taste.

Brad
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »
Which one?  They have three (and one unofficial one created by mixing two).  The 60min is quite malty and not bitter to me.  The 90 is bolder, but still not a bitter beer to my palate.  I haven't tried the 75 or 120.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2013, 09:50:04 PM »
I had the 60 and found it unenjoyably bitter.  It's at least drinkable if there's nothing else, but not my preference.

Brad
-HankB

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »
Widmer Brothers Drifter Pale Ale (admittedly, not an IPA) is about as hoppy as I like to go. With darker ales, if the ABV & heavier malt profile warrant, more hops are OK. As Brad observes, it comes back to balance.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »
My current favorite , when i can find it.