Author Topic: What Your Beer Says About You  (Read 14615 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: What Your Beer Says About You
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 10:38:37 PM »
My current favorite , when i can find it.

That's a good one.  Wife buys it for me now and again when she does the grocery shopping thing.
There aren't too many craft beers I don't like.  Most likely because I have always enjoyed foods and beverages with strong and interesting flavors.
As for some supposed 'cool' factor, meh...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 12:14:18 AM »
Most pale ales are too bitter for me.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 01:30:02 AM »
This is a pretty good beer out of Montana. But, now that they mass produce it, I have no idea how it is. When I was drinking it, it was one of those hoity-toity specialty brews.

Never saw it in a bottle, always on tap, and in growlers.

When I had to drink beer, this was the one I tried to find.  ;)

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 04:57:16 AM »
I've gotta work on the "Pilgrim" thing, though...

It does take practice to get it right (meaning John Wayne right). It must be enunciated slowly and clearly, forming two almost separate words, with heavy empasis on the first syllable.

PILL...grim.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2013, 08:50:25 AM »
This is a pretty good beer out of Montana. But, now that they mass produce it, I have no idea how it is. When I was drinking it, it was one of those hoity-toity specialty brews.

bob

I had one of the Bayern lagers in MT a few years ago, it was pretty tasty. Trout Slayer by Big Sky Brewing way to hoppy for me, but I do like the Moose Drool.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2013, 01:37:49 PM »
I was searching the intertubes to see if a certain cheap light beer was still being made (Michelob Golden Draft Light) and I came across this gem to describe the modern craft beer drinker.

I turned 21 before the late 90's microbrew explosion, so premium beer at the time was either Sam Adams, Michelob or imported brews. So I got used to drinking American light beer. I do love wheat beers, but beer snobs seem to crap all over them also.

So just to recap, folks who like different beer than you are all jerks because they judge people for the beer they drink. A common position that's funny and ironic, but probably not in the way you mean it.

I enjoy Bud Lite in the same way I enjoy a sandwich from McDonalds, but it's silly to pretend tht folks who prefer something else are all a bunch of hoity toity snobs looking down on you for your preferrences.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »
I had one of the Bayern lagers in MT a few years ago, it was pretty tasty. Trout Slayer by Big Sky Brewing way to hoppy for me, but I do like the Moose Drool.

That is a good beer.  It was renamed to "dancing trout" a few years ago though.  Stupid hippies...

Moose Drool is great, however it is one that is awesome from the tap but doesn't do it for me out of a bottle.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »
Sadly, due to dialysis, I can't do beer anymore, but when I did I loved German biers.  My all-time favorite (and always from a tap, never a bottle):

http://home.tiscali.nl/beercollection/Verz/Dld/info/dthurn.htm

And just to spin the argument in a different direction:  Vom Faß is infinitely better bier then either from a bottle or, G-dforbid, a can.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »
My beer is whatever I can get cheap.  The last one Pacifico had a rebate on it.  Now that I am semi retired, I'm not wed to any brand anymore.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2013, 10:27:06 PM »
I like Pacifico. I always order it when I go out to Mexican.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2013, 10:54:16 PM »
So just to recap, folks who like different beer than you are all jerks because they judge people for the beer they drink. A common position that's funny and ironic, but probably not in the way you mean it.

What I am tired of is the folks who think that macro brewed beer is crap and one has to be into microbrew or they are a mouth breathing Neanderthal. So yes I think those types people are jerks. Same goes for the "faux educated" wine drinkers.

I also do think it is funny that some of the people who swear that microbrews are the only way to go, will also order up rail drinks.

Uranus is a gas giant.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2013, 11:18:51 PM »

bob

Dragons Breath maybe my favorite beer.  Have a 6 pack of it in the fridge right now.  We have it in all the grocery stores and gas stations :)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2013, 11:23:58 PM »
Now I wanna move to Montana just because you guys have all the cool beer names!  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2013, 11:38:28 PM »

After years of sampling and rejecting beers, I finally found one I like.

Naturally, it doesn't retail where we're moving (Oklahoma).

*Sigh*
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2013, 12:12:17 AM »
What I am tired of is the folks who think that macro brewed beer is crap and one has to be into microbrew or they are a mouth breathing Neanderthal. So yes I think those types people are jerks. Same goes for the "faux educated" wine drinkers.
I also do think it is funny that some of the people who swear that microbrews are the only way to go, will also order up rail drinks.

Was trying a really nice Mexican restaurant tonight ( El Monumento  in Georgetown, for whoever is curious), when I noticed a real DB ask the waitress to hand him the cork to the bottle of wine he'd ordered. My intestines twisted, my b-hole puckered, and I began to sweat at the *expletive deleted*che maneuver about to unfold before me.
The guy  proceeded to sniff the cork with a look of satisfaction on his face, without even looking at it.  The waitress did a better job of hiding her cringe than the guy's date.  =D

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2013, 01:56:18 PM »
After years of sampling and rejecting beers, I finally found one I like.

Naturally, it doesn't retail where we're moving (Oklahoma).

*Sigh*

Be thankful they sell any alcohol at all in Oklahoma, buckle of the bible belt and all of that.

Oklahoma, land of the 3.2% beer. Go do some reading on the Oklahoma laws on the sale of alcohol. I won't post them here, they are too depressing to allow dissemination to people outside of Oklahoma!  =(

Although, growing up there, the 3.2% Coors would get us drunk, if you drank enough of it.  ;)

If you want beer with an alcohol content greater than 3.2%, you have to go to the nearest liquor store, and buy it warm.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2013, 01:59:33 PM »
Be thankful they sell any alcohol at all in Oklahoma, buckle of the bible belt and all of that.

Oklahoma, land of the 3.2% beer. Go do some reading on the Oklahoma laws on the sale of alcohol. I won't post them here, they are too depressing to allow dissemination to people outside of Oklahoma!  =(

Although, growing up there, the 3.2% Coors would get us drunk, if you drank enough of it.  ;)

If you want beer with an alcohol content greater than 3.2%, you have to go to the nearest liquor store, and buy it warm.

bob

I like to drink beer, is wish there was 3.2% beer available everywhere. Light beer in Iowa is 4.2%, I miss the 3.2% days.

Uranus is a gas giant.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »
I like to drink beer, is wish there was 3.2% beer available everywhere. Light beer in Iowa is 4.2%, I miss the 3.2% days.
Yup.  I like a good saison style beer for quaffing on a hot day.

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2013, 02:07:48 PM »
Yup.  I like a good saison style beer for quaffing on a hot day.

Chris

Miller 64 is only 2.9%, I may have to pick up a 6'er this weekend and try it.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2013, 03:17:53 PM »
If anyone knows of a good, flavorful light beer, please to post on the Internets.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2013, 03:20:14 PM »
I generally tend towards the darker beers - but they're getting hard to find. Even locally when a store carries Sam Adams, they rarely have Black Lager, Boston Ale, Irish Red, Chocolate Bock, or Black&Brew . . . but there's no problem finding Cranberry Lambic or Cherry Wheat, both of which are just plain nasty. (Lately they're coming up with all kinds of specialty brews . . . but in the process of trying to be different, they've lost sight of the fact that they're supposed to be good, too.) When they come up with their "Brewmaster's Collection" with several different beers in a 12 pack, they almost always try to work in a nasty . . .  =(

Shiner Bock and Shiner Black Lager are OK, and the new Guinness Black Lager is very drinkable.

Light beers? Meh. May as well just get some Bud and dilute it.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »
If anyone knows of a good, flavorful light beer, please to post on the Internets

Trumer Pilsener.  I like it best on tap but bottled is good too.  And Boddingtons Pub Ale.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2013, 11:05:26 PM »
If anyone knows of a good, flavorful light beer, please to post on the Internets.

What flavor are you looking for? Grain? Hops?

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2013, 11:09:56 PM »
What flavor are you looking for? Grain? Hops?

Preferably a dark hoppy beer. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »
Preferably a dark hoppy beer. 

Due to the length of the fermentation process to maturate those flavors you won't find a light beer with those qualifications.

Uranus is a gas giant.