Author Topic: What Your Beer Says About You  (Read 14616 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: What Your Beer Says About You
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2013, 11:37:31 PM »
After years of sampling and rejecting beers, I finally found one I like.

Naturally, it doesn't retail where we're moving (Oklahoma).

*Sigh*

Don't worry too much about it. You can likely find something you like here.
One possible source -
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4707
If you like Italian food Pete's Place in Krebs is worth the trip just for that.

We've also got a pretty good wine industry here a well. One neat little winery is only about 3 miles from my house.
http://www.oakhillswinery.com/

Oh, and sadly if you wan't something better than 3.2 beer you have to buy it at a liquor store, warm.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2013, 07:33:50 PM »
If anyone knows of a good, flavorful light beer, please to post on the Internets

Miller High Life.  I just went for a bike ride and have been sitting on my deck enjoying the sun and the Champagne of Beers. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2013, 07:42:18 PM »
I generally tend towards the darker beers - but they're getting hard to find. Even locally when a store carries Sam Adams, they rarely have Black Lager, Boston Ale, Irish Red, Chocolate Bock, or Black&Brew . . . but there's no problem finding Cranberry Lambic or Cherry Wheat, both of which are just plain nasty. (Lately they're coming up with all kinds of specialty brews . . . but in the process of trying to be different, they've lost sight of the fact that they're supposed to be good, too.) When they come up with their "Brewmaster's Collection" with several different beers in a 12 pack, they almost always try to work in a nasty . . .  =(

Shiner Bock and Shiner Black Lager are OK, and the new Guinness Black Lager is very drinkable.

Light beers? Meh. May as well just get some Bud and dilute it.

Weird...

The Food Lion I shop at usually has all of those in stock.  And food lion is the grocery store of the lower orders of civilization around here.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2013, 09:59:40 PM »
Miller High Life.  I just went for a bike ride and have been sitting on my deck enjoying the sun and the Champagne of Beers. 

That's my favorite non-premium beer.  I typically take a 12 pack of that and a sixer of "good stuff" when I go on my deer hunting/camping trips.

Chris

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2013, 11:17:17 PM »
That's my favorite non-premium beer.  I typically take a 12 pack of that and a sixer of "good stuff" when I go on my deer hunting/camping trips.

Chris

Finally!  You must be the other guy in America who thinks High Life is a pretty decent lager!  I'm moving to Muskegon, MI in about a month and have plans to visit Milwaukee, the motherland!

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2013, 02:13:11 PM »
I have both a motorcycle and a truck.

I've gotta work on the "Pilgrim" thing, though...

Ditto...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »
Anybody else like Real Ale (that's the name of the brand)?

Whenever I would have a tough time choosing, I'd grab their "sampler" six pack.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2013, 08:40:29 AM »

So I learned something about Oklahoma and beer.

Evidently grocery stores or other non-specialty places can sell alcoholic drinks of 3.2% or lower, but anything above that must be sold from licensed liquor stores.

Additionally, liquor stores are prohibited from selling any refrigerated alcoholic beverages.

Consequently, some brands will not sell their product in OK because it can't be sold cold.

Interesting.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2013, 10:54:24 AM »
Whatever, I drink light beer because I don't get a hangover or headache after drinking more than 3-4.

That is not guilt, put proper planning.

P-P-P-P-P-P-P
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »

Evidently grocery stores or other non-specialty places can sell alcoholic drinks of 3.2% or lower, but anything above that must be sold from licensed liquor stores.

When I was in Army basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, MO, (a.k.a. Fort Lost-in-the-Woods), all we could buy on post was "three-two" beer. That was in the Vietnam era -- I didn't know the stuff still existed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2013, 11:38:40 AM »
P-P-P-P-P-P-P

the 7 P's are the code we should all live by.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »
Anybody else like Real Ale (that's the name of the brand)?

Whenever I would have a tough time choosing, I'd grab their "sampler" six pack.

Yes. I also don't mind supporting regional breweries.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2013, 11:51:01 AM »
Well, I guess it makes sense to talk about "P" in a beer thread.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2013, 11:53:20 AM »
Miller 64 is only 2.9%, I may have to pick up a 6'er this weekend and try it.

I was depleting my beer fridge of Miller Lite a few weeks ago after putting my truck back together.  My neighbor popped his head in the garage and helped me deplete my fridge also. As we were drinking beer his wife also came over and invited wife and I over for a bonfire that evening. Taking stock of the fridge I realized that I only had a few cans left and wife was just headed to the store, so I gave her some cash to pick up some Miller 64 for the evening's entertainment.

Well I was a bit buzzed by the time I had my 1st Miller 64 and it didn't taste too bad, tasted different that Miller Lite, more like High Life, but I was surprised that a beer with that few calories actually tasted like a heavier lager.

Also went did a 15 mile bike ride with a friend on Tuesday, the bar at the end of the ride had Michelob Golden light draft in bottles, tasted damn good. Might have to restock the beer fridge with that next time.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #89 on: July 26, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »
Finally!  You must be the other guy in America who thinks High Life is a pretty decent lager!  I'm moving to Muskegon, MI in about a month and have plans to visit Milwaukee, the motherland!

The home of Milwaukee's Best, Pabst and Miller/Coors.  You'll be disappointed. http://milwaukeebrewerytours.com/

However if you go to the Sprecher Brewery, they give tours and there are samples.

http://www.sprecherbrewery.com/index.php
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: July 26, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »
Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee gives tours and free samples too.
Andy

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2013, 09:04:18 PM »
I tend to like heavy bitter high-alcohol beers; Sierra Nevada Torpedo is a good one.  Schells "Emerald Rye" is really good too, but that's a regional beer. 

In the summer I drink lighter beers.  Last month I decided to try Michelob again, and it was really hard to find!  ???  There's Michelob Golden Draft and MGD Light everywhere, but those taste like Miller at a higher price.  I finally found some Michelob, and it's pretty good.  I don't know why it's so hard to find.

Last week I stopped by the liquor store to see what's on sale, and they had Beck's dark bier on closeout for $6 a 12-pack.  I bought one, and cracked open the first one tonight.  Very nice!  (And it's not skunky at all, which is sometimes a problem with imports)  Headed back there tomorrow to see if they still have any at that price, so I can buy them out.

"It's good, though..."

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2013, 10:46:39 PM »
The home of Milwaukee's Best, Pabst and Miller/Coors.  You'll be disappointed. http://milwaukeebrewerytours.com/

However if you go to the Sprecher Brewery, they give tours and there are samples.

The Sprecher tour is free with military i.d.  Yay!  The Great Lakes Distillery tour also looks worth checking out, any body sampled their products?  Among other things they make vodka, gin and whiskey.  Some of my favorite things in the world!

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »

Additionally, liquor stores are prohibited from selling any refrigerated alcoholic beverages.

Consequently, some brands will not sell their product in OK because it can't be sold cold.

Interesting.

Evidently, however, grocery stores are not so constrained.

We were in a couple of grocery stores yesterday and found an entire refrigerated beer aisle.

I was surprised at the number of beers that fell into the "grocery-store-legal" category.  Apparently, the "3.2%" limitation is either obsolete or is not as strictly enforced as one might think.

For example, Corona Extra (4.6%) was in the chiller, along with Bud and Coors, both above the 4.0% mark.  Given what I saw in the chilled beverage aisle, I might conjecture that the real cutoff for beers is more like 5.0%.

I'm not inclined to make a research project out of it, but the first authoritative claim I heard, that the grocery store limit is 3.2%, is clearly not accurate.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2013, 02:06:41 AM »
That's interesting.

This pretty accurate so far as I know.
http://okc.about.com/od/foodanddrink/p/okliquorlaws.htm

Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance warm beer.
I've got a 6 of Sam Adams on ice down on the boat.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »

We've also got a pretty good wine industry here a well. One neat little winery is only about 3 miles from my house.
http://www.oakhillswinery.com/

Oak Hill Swinery?  Funny name for a vintner...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2013, 05:25:10 PM »
Oak Hill Swinery?  Funny name for a vintner...

Brad

They rent pigs as a side business.

Samuel Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2013, 05:42:28 PM »
Evidently, however, grocery stores are not so constrained.

We were in a couple of grocery stores yesterday and found an entire refrigerated beer aisle.

I was surprised at the number of beers that fell into the "grocery-store-legal" category.  Apparently, the "3.2%" limitation is either obsolete or is not as strictly enforced as one might think.

For example, Corona Extra (4.6%) was in the chiller, along with Bud and Coors, both above the 4.0% mark.  Given what I saw in the chilled beverage aisle, I might conjecture that the real cutoff for beers is more like 5.0%.

I'm not inclined to make a research project out of it, but the first authoritative claim I heard, that the grocery store limit is 3.2%, is clearly not accurate.

As RKL indicated, the law is clear.  No beverage which exceeds 3.2% alcohol by weight or 4.0% by volume may be sold only at room temp, and only from a licensed liquor store.  If you found chilled beer exceeding the ABV/ABW limits in a non-liquor store then they either carry low-point versions of that beer or they have committed a huge legal no-no. 

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #98 on: August 08, 2013, 04:17:23 PM »
Cash is a bit tight at the moment due to some life circumstances so I think next time we goto Costco sacrilege may be committed and a case of Coors or Budweiser may be purchased. Dark days my friends...

;)
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #99 on: August 08, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »
They rent pigs as a side business.

So do you lose the damage deposit if the pig is returned half-eaten?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.