Author Topic: Tires - what would you do? Studded snow tires vs siped all seasons  (Read 14639 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
2013 Outback bought in Feb.  The OEM tires, once I figured out the correct inflation -stupid dealer, are fine for normal driving.  However, they royally suck in snow and ice I am figuring out in the recent weather.  My old FWD Avalon with good all seasons did better than this does.

This weekend I'm doing a long road trip and need to make a change since the weather could be pretty sporty, so I need to make something happen tomorrow.

Option A: buy studded snow tires
Option B:  buy some really good all seasons and sip them, then try to sell the OEM tires that only have 13K miles on them
Option C:  F it and take the land cruiser.  It has siped snow tires that happen to also be good off road tires, weighs 3 tons, and I can't hardly make it spin.  Stopping is another matter though.  The difference in gas between driving the cruiser and the outback would probably buy 2 of the snow tires.  this is my backup plan if the tires don't happen.

My inclination is Option A.  Then I get a car that, other than ground clearance, is the pretty much the ultimate winter rig.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:59:45 PM by 41magsnub »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Tires - what would you do? Studded snow tires vs
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »
Check to make sure studded snow tires are legal in your state.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:48:12 PM »
They are between October and May.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:52:22 PM »
That's cool.

Still illegal here, and the highway I traverse the most happens to have the worst icing.  Grr!   :mad:
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:56:04 PM »
Check to make sure studded snow tires are legal in your state.

List of where studded tires are legal: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/studded-tires/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Tires - what would you do? Studded snow tires vs siped all seasons
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 10:15:04 PM »
Given the current tires are pretty new, seems like it would make the most sense to get the studded tires now. Go to option B when the two current sets wear down.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 10:15:10 PM »
Wife had a set of Goodyear Assurance triple tread on her old car, those tires were freaking awesome in the snow and rain.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 10:39:48 PM »
Swap 'em out.   (all four since it's AWD)

Probably won't be the first time this winter you'll need snow tires on the Outback.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 10:47:28 PM »
What are siped tires? I know that race car drivers cut extra, custom grooves in their tires and call it "siping" them. Do people do this for street cars? Why don't the tires just come with all the necessary grooves to start with?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 10:59:23 PM »
What are siped tires? I know that race car drivers cut extra, custom grooves in their tires and call it "siping" them. Do people do this for street cars? Why don't the tires just come with all the necessary grooves to start with?

Pretty much the same thing as the racing tires. The reason most standard tires don't come with it is it shortens the life of the tire, and is only really necessary when you absolutely need more grip like in snow or while racing.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »
What he said.  Every rig I've ever owned I consciously made that trade off of tire life for better inclement weather traction and not needing to screw with swapping summer and winter tires.  This is the first new car I've ever bought so sipping wasn't an option.  The continental tires on it now are really optimized for gas mileage above everything else.  They get pretty awful reviews otherwise.

I think Plan A is still the plan, maybe see how cheap the tire guys can do some steel rims for the snow tires as well.  Then I can do the summer/winter swap myself.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 12:12:30 AM »
I'm kind of in the same place, need studded tires. My plan is to find another set of rims and mount them on those. I also have 4 dismounted tires good enough for a couple of months use if I needed more tires and had no money. The Outback is hard on tires, my daily commute is hard on tires, and last but not least I'm hard on tires. So, that adds up to I buy a lot of tires.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:44 AM »
Studs are illegal here, and I drive a 2WD pickup.  Over the years I've learned to do a few things to get by in the winter:
  1) pop out the ABS fuse so I'll have brakes. 
  2) put about 400 lbs in the bed right behind the wheel wells. (it would be safer to put it against the cab, but not as effective) 
  3) I put on tall skinny ASR tires for better traction.  (215/85R16's.  7.50R16's would be even better)

And I carry a shovel and a chain with me for when I get stuck anyway, but that doesn't happen often.

How about getting a set of ASR's with the "Mountain Snowflake" winter rating?  You can use those year-round or like snow tires.
"It's good, though..."

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 01:46:54 AM »
I was waved off siping my Wild Country tires by Les Schwab, who warned that my off road use, my steep, well rocked driveway, would result in potentially serious chunking of siped tires.  If the chunking is not an issue for your use, I'd trade the extra wear for the extra traction.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 01:48:43 AM »
Blizzaks
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 01:51:22 AM »
I was waved off siping my Wild Country tires by Les Schwab, who warned that my off road use, my steep, well rocked driveway, would result in potentially serious chunking of siped tires.  If the chunking is not an issue for your use, I'd trade the extra wear for the extra traction.

Speaking of Les Schwab, don't they have a machine in their stores that sipes tires? Perhaps they might be able to do the siping on 41magsnub's current tires.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 02:08:47 AM »
I run 2 sets of wheels. Currently I have Blizzaks for the winter. and Wranglers for the summer.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 02:15:38 AM »
Speaking of Les Schwab, don't they have a machine in their stores that sipes tires? Perhaps they might be able to do the siping on 41magsnub's current tires.

Yes, Schwab sipes tires in house.  Subject, I presume, to the individual tire.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 04:51:21 AM »
Ok, that was creepy...

I went to look and see if there were any Les Schwabs near 41magsnub, not knowing if they had expanded into Montana, and typed "Les Schwab tire locations" into Google. I didn't specify WHERE I was going to search for them. I live in Oregon, and Les Schwab started in Oregon, so I figured when I opened the Google Maps link, which was the fourth result, to view them it'd probably center me on Oregon, given that's where my IP is located.

Instead, the map was centered on Missoula.  [tinfoil]

And yes, there are two stores there.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 07:13:27 AM »
we use asr's.  but we live in a village with a grocery store, and our road crews do excellent work.  if it snows for that once a week trip to the small city 30 minutes away, we can delay until the next week.  lately we have only had 3-4 storms a year where it would have been necessary to delay, so we can work around that (t-y global warming!)
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 08:12:36 AM »
I've always been told tire shops won't sip used tires.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 10:25:21 AM »
Studs are illegal here, and I drive a 2WD pickup.  Over the years I've learned to do a few things to get by in the winter:
  1) pop out the ABS fuse so I'll have brakes. 
  2) put about 400 lbs in the bed right behind the wheel wells. (it would be safer to put it against the cab, but not as effective) 
  3) I put on tall skinny ASR tires for better traction.  (215/85R16's.  7.50R16's would be even better)

And I carry a shovel and a chain with me for when I get stuck anyway, but that doesn't happen often.

How about getting a set of ASR's with the "Mountain Snowflake" winter rating?  You can use those year-round or like snow tires.

When I drive my pickup in the winter, I use a little frame built out of scrap lumber that keeps the sandbags centered on the rear axle.  Works quite well with siped AT tires.  The ABS is broken in that rig anyway!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 11:13:35 AM »
I heard that Subaru gets around better in the snow than any other vehicle ever made.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
I heard that Subaru gets around better in the snow than any other vehicle ever made.

And the tires don't matter at all..  hell, I just just run rims!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 11:33:14 AM »
Who makes those tires that Speed Racer uses.  They do both.  Reinflate also.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge