Author Topic: Need advice to keep marriage intact  (Read 14768 times)

castle key

• friend
Need advice to keep marriage intact
« on: November 06, 2014, 04:22:12 PM »
Thanksgiving is fast approaching and my whole family will be at my house. My wife and I have differing turkey tastes and this is where the conflict arises.

We will cook two birds. My perfect choice is one fried and one smoked with a bacon weave on top. She says that one bird will be roasted in the oven with stuffing. The stuffing issue is the deal breaker. I DON'T like simply roasted turkey and I am indifferent about stuffing. The fried bird can't really do stuffing and a smoked bird with stuffing will likely lead to ptomaine or some other food borne nightmare.

So, since I must decide on either a fried turkey or a smoked turkey with bacon weave, which one is it.

It may be simpler to divorce and make my own *(&@$% decision.

And, I will not eat the roasted bird on general principle.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Need advice to keep marriage intact
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 04:25:31 PM »
Do two smaller birds fried and smoked and then a big roasted one.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
That's an odd principle.

I don't see the problem here. One bird in the oven, one in the deep fryer, one in the smoker. Do three, keep them all small (get a heritage breed so it's extra fancy), have lot's of leftovers.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »
Smoke the bird for flavor, then fry, put bacon in oven-baked dressing. Let wife's oven-dry bird be a conversation killer. Bases covered.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Need advice to keep marriage intact
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »
This turkaholic also sees the widom of the three bird approach.  I love turkey taters and gravy in july from the freezer.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »
Or go all coop. Get a neighbor to smoke one you fry one. You get 1/2 his bird and he z1/2 yours.
Let wife roast hers
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

castle key

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »
Smoke the bird for flavor, then fry, put bacon in oven-baked dressing. Let wife's oven-dry bird be a conversation killer. Bases covered.

That is both cooking and marital advice!!

With that in mind, what would happen if a bird was both smoked and fried? Timing issues? I know if I stumbled on such an undertaking I would never hear the end of that!
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
...I am indifferent about stuffing.

If it does not tread on your wife's cherished family stuffing recipe, explore new recipes.  There are two kinds of stuffing:  Those intended to be eaten as a side dish, and those that only flavor the bird but are, must, be discarded when the bird is done.  I favor the side dish variety.

Turkey stuffing in my family is almost never made from a detailed, measure every ingredient, recipe.  Available ingredients such as chestnuts, wild mushrooms, locally baked breads, or home grown herbs, feature when we find them.  I have had birds stuffed with two different mixtures, one on each side of the cavity.  The attempt to use three did not work so well from the physical side but the flavors were great.  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 05:06:12 PM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Re: Need advice to keep marriage intact
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »
This turkaholic also sees the widom of the three bird approach.  I love turkey taters and gravy in july from the freezer.

I can buy whole birds year round at the supermarket, turkey whenever I want it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 05:20:50 PM »
Three birds.
Don't cook stuffing in the carcass.Cook it in the oven in its own pan.Enjoy the corner crispies instead of the soggy glop.
jeff w

I like onions!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 05:22:18 PM »
Thanksgiving is fast approaching and my whole family will be at my house. My wife and I have differing turkey tastes and this is where the conflict arises.

We will cook two birds. My perfect choice is one fried and one smoked with a bacon weave on top. She says that one bird will be roasted in the oven with stuffing. The stuffing issue is the deal breaker. I DON'T like simply roasted turkey and I am indifferent about stuffing. The fried bird can't really do stuffing and a smoked bird with stuffing will likely lead to ptomaine or some other food borne nightmare.

So, since I must decide on either a fried turkey or a smoked turkey with bacon weave, which one is it.

It may be simpler to divorce and make my own *(&@$% decision.

And, I will not eat the roasted bird on general principle.

Do you have to have the thighs and drumsticks? If not fry a turkey breast and smoke a turkey breast.

Or fry the breast and smoke the rear end, of course only after proper nitrate/nitrite treatment.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 05:40:37 PM »
I am glad I don't have these conumdrums.

We don't cook for turkey day, we go to the fancy hotel and do their buffet. We get shrimp, sushi, prime rib, turkey, last year was a yummy pork belly dish that I hope they repeat, among tons of other stuff. Then we walk around downtown and go home to a quiet house with no dishes. We will cook up a turkey breast a few days later for sandwiches. We have hit upon the ideal solution to differing tastes for T-Day for us.

bob

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 05:50:01 PM »
^^^That is a great idea; and I hope my wife and I can do that someday when it is just us.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 05:59:41 PM »
If it does not tread on your wife's cherished family stuffing recipe, explore new recipes.  There are two kinds of stuffing:  Those intended to be eaten as a side dish, and those that only flavor the bird but are, must, be discarded when the bird is done.  I favor the side dish variety.

Turkey stuffing in my family is almost never made from a detailed, measure every ingredient, recipe.  Available ingredients such as chestnuts, wild mushrooms, locally baked breads, or home grown herbs, feature when we find them.  I have had birds stuffed with two different mixtures, one on each side of the cavity.  The attempt to use three did not work so well from the physical side but the flavors were great.  
My mother makes a very very good cornbread stuffing.  I don't think I have ever had any other stuffing I liked near as much.  Even my brother's wife started using her recipe.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 06:04:43 PM »
I approve of the three bird approach.

As for stuffing up the bird ass or in the pan, we solve the problem by having both stuffing and dressing. e.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 06:19:13 PM »
I am glad I don't have these conumdrums.

We don't cook for turkey day, we go to the fancy hotel and do their buffet. We get shrimp, sushi, prime rib, turkey, last year was a yummy pork belly dish that I hope they repeat, among tons of other stuff. Then we walk around downtown and go home to a quiet house with no dishes. We will cook up a turkey breast a few days later for sandwiches. We have hit upon the ideal solution to differing tastes for T-Day for us.

bob

We have done that for the past few years, but Wife's family wants to get together on Thanksgiving. Probably going to have crappy ham balls instead of turkey or rib roast.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 07:32:45 PM »
I know him and his wife. ..

She's going to win and he's going to drink his Thanksgiving dinner in response.

Then try to slice his finger off...

Again.

:rofl:
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »
I thought wife winning was a given

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2014, 07:57:38 PM »
I would say have the dog under the table and, with a little slight of hand, you can clear your plate and look like your enjoying your dinner, making the wifey poo happy without actually having to eat it.

but that plan requires dogs that fit under the table...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 08:03:13 PM »
Stuffing not cooked in the bird is a waste of bread.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2014, 08:11:04 PM »
And properly prepared, bird roasted stuffing is not soggy.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Re:
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2014, 08:32:56 PM »
And properly prepared, bird roasted stuffing is not soggy.
Looking for an internet statistic then.
What percentage of people will be served soggy or over/under cooked stuffing that had been crammed up a dead animals carcass vs.those eating a similar(in theory),tasty dish cooked properly?

Don't fall for the assumption that because you might get good results that everyone else will.You're smarter than that.

Cooking it outside the bird gives a better assurance of a premium final product.
jeff w

I like onions!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »
"Don't fall for the assumption that because you might get good results that everyone else will.You're smarter than that."

Here's an internet statistic...

Anyone can (or should be able to), in seconds, lay hands on dozens of recipes created by people who know how to pick the correct ingredients that will guarantee a consistently flavorful, consistently moist, and consistently non-soggy roasted-in-bird stuffing.

Not a tasteless, crunchy, dried out pan of bread that should have been tossed to the birds.

So, let me say, just because you and yours apparently, by your own admission, can't cook, apparently can't do simple research, and apparently don't know the difference between gummy as *expletive deleted*it Wonder bread vs. real bread, don't fall for the assumption that everyone else is in that boat, too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2014, 08:53:51 PM »
Ahhhhh!

Let the battle of the holiday traditions begin!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »
you people, with all your drama and stress.

ha!

here's how you do it. you go about and get yourself invited to assorted holiday meals. you pick your favorites and then proceed to get yourself invited back next year.

if the food is excellent, but the company is substandard, make out like your going to starve but that you can't attend due to whatever obligation. enjoy the generous portions of food they insist you take home.

stress free holidays. I love me. :)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds