Author Topic: Need advice to keep marriage intact  (Read 14771 times)

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Re: Need advice to keep marriage intact
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »
"Don't fall for the assumption that because you might get good results that everyone else will.You're smarter than that."

Here's an internet statistic...

Anyone can (or should be able to), in seconds, lay hands on dozens of recipes created by people who know how to pick the correct ingredients that will guarantee a consistently flavorful, consistently moist, and consistently non-soggy roasted-in-bird stuffing.

Not a tasteless, crunchy, dried out pan of bread that should have been tossed to the birds.

So, let me say, just because you and yours apparently, by your own admission, can't cook, apparently can't do simple research, and apparently don't know the difference between gummy as *expletive deleted* it Wonder bread vs. real bread, don't fall for the assumption that everyone else is in that boat, too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Assumptions based on nothing.
From an Alton Brown fanboy no less.
"Stuffing A Bird Is Evil"
Right back atcha! :-*
jeff w

I like onions!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2014, 09:22:47 PM »
I like stuffing/dressing. But the last few turkeys I have stuffed with a mix of saur kraut, apples, onions, caraway seeds.  Makes for a very moist bird and the family loves the kraut.  We do stuffing on the side with the giblets, neck, and tail.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2014, 09:29:30 PM »
Kraut?!
Get thee behind me satan!

I am deep frying a spiral ham. It comes out like a bacon pinecone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »
now its sounding like a proper holiday table around here
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2014, 09:40:08 PM »
Ahhhhh!

Let the battle of the holiday traditions begin!
The Holidays bring us together. In hand to hand combat.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »
Kraut?!
Get thee behind me satan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Try it.  You'll like it. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2014, 10:06:05 PM »
Oh, I am using the remnants of the spiral ham my wife cooked for a big batch of split pea soup.  Two batches, actually.  Most the ham into the stovetop batch.  Bone in the slow-cooker batch, hoping to get all the marrow & such out of it over 8 hours.

OK, got some of hte stove top batch.  Pretty good and very easy to make.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2014, 10:07:47 PM »
I'm Pennsylvania German and grew up in farm country.  I know how to handle a meat cleaver. :D
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2014, 10:10:39 PM »
Alton Brown had a recipe for stuffing a bird.

It's complicated bullshit.

My method is better, easier,  and also prevents food poisoning.

I'm an Alton Brown fan boy.  But he doesn't have all the answers.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2014, 08:57:13 AM »

Need moar detailz please.

Chris

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2014, 09:08:17 AM »
You use one of those mesh tubes butchers use on on boneless
roasts and deep fry till it's a lil crispy on outside.
It taste a lot like bacon only sweeter. Best to get a real quality ham, no water added. I use honey baked ham for a source
It may in fact be the best way to simulate a bacon overdose. Sweet morte

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2014, 09:44:57 AM »
I like stuffing/dressing. But the last few turkeys I have stuffed with a mix of saur kraut, apples, onions, caraway seeds.  Makes for a very moist bird and the family loves the kraut.  We do stuffing on the side with the giblets, neck, and tail.

That sounds pretty good, might be really good with a stronger meat like wild duck.

Got a recipe or are you like me, just make it from memory?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »
2 birds, one of them extra-large.  Have the butcher cut the big one in half lengthwise with a bandsaw (just like Solomon.)  Cook all three ways.

It would make sense to use one of the halves for the stuffing thing, but you probably won't win that.

BTW, if you roast a turkey (without stuffing) in a Bigass® electric roaster, it comes out moist and tender even if you overcook it, and you get lots of juice in the pan to make the dressing as gloppy as you want -- just like it was cooked inside the bird, but without the ptomaine.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 10:00:15 AM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2014, 10:09:08 AM »
you people, with all your drama and stress.

ha!

here's how you do it. you go about and get yourself invited to assorted holiday meals. you pick your favorites and then proceed to get yourself invited back next year.

if the food is excellent, but the company is substandard, make out like your going to starve but that you can't attend due to whatever obligation. enjoy the generous portions of food they insist you take home.

stress free holidays. I love me. :)

This right here. Although it's easier when you're single.

The winter I had my *ahem* legal issue and was out on bond, I wasn't supposed to leave the state. My parents, not believing in attachment parenting up to the age of 25, had left me to fend for myself while they went to see relatives.

I put on my best puppydog face and let it be known around town that I was needing nourishment over Christmas weekend.

I was not disappointed.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2014, 10:13:11 AM »
That is both cooking and marital advice!!

With that in mind, what would happen if a bird was both smoked and fried? Timing issues? I know if I stumbled on such an undertaking I would never hear the end of that!

I'm thinking kiss it with cold smoke, then finish it to temp in the fryer. Let the thermometer be your guide. A little more time for a satisfying product.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2014, 12:06:14 PM »
"BTW, if you roast a turkey (without stuffing) in a Bigass® electric roaster, it comes out moist and tender even if you overcook it, and you get lots of juice in the pan to make the dressing as gloppy as you want -- just like it was cooked inside the bird, but without the ptomaine."

Couple of T-givings ago one of those electric Nesco-style roasters saved Thanksgiving for my family when the main element in the oven crapped out literally seconds after the Lowes store in town closed for the holiday.

But, I'm not crazy about them. Part of good gravy making is the fond that develops in the roasting pan of an oven roasted bird.

And, adding juice to the stuffing AFTER the fact is, well, useless.... You need the double layer of roasted-in-the-bird goodness along with gravy.

And, as I said, I have a simple way of having my bird-roasted stuffing AND not getting sicker than all hell.

All you need is a meat thermometer and the ability to read it.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2014, 01:01:21 PM »
Remember being a single barracks rat being invited over to the homes of the married folk in the unit. 

When in Korea I volunteered for duty on the holidays so those with families could be with them.  They always took care of us in the food department.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
You use one of those mesh tubes butchers use on on boneless
roasts

I'm drawing a blank here.  What is that and where do you get it?

Chris

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 02:39:17 PM »
I get mine at work  ;) .

It is a tubular net bandage, I am sure butchers use the exact thing and only get charged 1/4 the price we do. You may be able to walk into the store and just ask them for a piece to take home. Tell them what it is for and they will give you the right size.

bob

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 02:40:06 PM »
More importantly, most of those are made of one or another kind of plastics these days. Will they stand up to boiling oil?

BobR

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 02:45:34 PM »
That's a good question, I know the medical ones are fiber (cotton?) of some type. I would imagine the food grade are also.

bob

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 03:14:18 PM »
Fried my first turkey(s) last year.
Amazing. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2014, 03:57:31 PM »
That's a good question, I know the medical ones are fiber (cotton?) of some type. I would imagine the food grade are also.

bob

The food grade ones I'm finding one line are almost universally elasticized polyester.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2014, 04:20:52 PM »
^^^

That probably wouldn't work too well in the ole turkey fryer. I have used to medical ones from work for a lot of different foods including roasting at pretty high temps so they will work.

bob

Chuck Dye

• friend
Gee, I'd love to see your data!