Author Topic: Need advice to keep marriage intact  (Read 14770 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Need advice to keep marriage intact
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 05:16:30 PM »
I love, love., love Aldi's Turkey Stuffing.  In a box.  Then shoved up a Turkey's ass.

This year, since Robert will be with his mother, so I will be alone.  I was planning on just doing a Cornish Game Hen (also from Aldi) and making what I like for sides.

In the past, I've put on the puppy-dog eyes and been invited to other folks homes.  But then you have eat whatever weird *expletive deleted*it they prepare, and watch their Family Feud and avoid taking sides.  Which can be hard when the person who you are friends with and invited you over is wronger then a Twilight novel and he asks you to back him up.

Had the ex been a little more reasonable, she could have had Robert all week, and I could have gone to my parents.  =| ;/
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2014, 07:00:14 PM »
I'm drawing a blank here.  What is that and where do you get it?

Chris
its a mesh bag made from cotton cord they use em to hold turducken together and leg of lamb roast when it's deboned. I go to a butcher shop and get some if I need it.

This stuff here. It's good for taking smaller pieces of venison together and if you do prime rib you can slice it raw put it back together in the bag season it and roast when done a pair of scissors for bag and you can plate up the prime rib fast and easy. It let's the seasonings get inside a bit better too but you still get the carmelization on the outside and the sweet semi raw delicious inside

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2014, 07:01:34 PM »
Cotton is available.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=22_78&zenid=eb7d7f7eafd8b8793cb1c4aa6abc044a

Thanks I couldn't find em I still have a lil left from my last roll but I need more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2014, 12:14:21 PM »
Not used to having the holidays off, and my family has never been big on holiday meals. I usually ended up working on Thanksgiving and Christmas eve/day. Sometimes I wind up at MrsSmith's house for the holidays if I am able to get off work.

Pizza, Chinese, or Wafflehouse are usually what I get on holidays, depending on who's open.

This year will be the first year I get all holidays off, hell it's hard to get used to a M-F normal schedule. I doubt we will do anything, maybe get a fried turkey from Bojangles.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2014, 04:33:45 PM »
The joy of a standing rib roast was that I could cook it the way I wanted it, and then put other folks' portions back on the sacrificial flames until the desired level of charcoal was attained.  It also allowed my rib portion to properly rest whereas everybody else had their hunk of meat thrown at them as soon as it was finished being horribly desecrated.

Not to drift the thread too much (  :rofl: ) but a major issue has not been addressed: plain blade, serrated blade, or electric knife to make serving pieces out of the turkey.   (Among APSers I would expect that knowledge of how to carve a turkey is a skill mastered by no later than the age of 18.)

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

castle key

• friend
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »
Not to drift the thread too much (  :rofl: ) but a major issue has not been addressed: plain blade, serrated blade, or electric knife to make serving pieces out of the turkey.   (Among APSers I would expect that knowledge of how to carve a turkey is a skill mastered by no later than the age of 18.)

stay safe.

I am very good at turkey carving... but also finger carving. Thanksgiving a few years ago I started to carve the bird. The first knife drop was on my forefinger and I opened up a very nice distal flap. The hospital is mere steps from my front door, I timed it right and made the round trip with about a dozen sutures in my finger in less than one hour!

My brother in law carved away the bloody turkey pieces for the hounds to enjoy.

I believe two martinis and a few glasses of wine may have been a contributing factor... Maybe.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re:
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2014, 05:59:40 PM »
Straight edge knife for me. Carving knife is nice for the disassembly but a chefs knife makes better slices on the board.

Take the legs and thighs off at the joint and them separate them on the board. Bone out the thighs and slice. I like to leave the legs whole, if capacity allows, so folks can get their caveman on.

For the breast I prefer removing the whole breast from the bird and then slicing on a cutting board. Once the larger parts are dealt with pick the bird for meat still on it, back meat is good eatin.

As I said, two knives helps. Also remove the damned wishbone before cooking. Carving is much easier with it out of the way.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2014, 04:48:55 PM »
My Mother's knives are generally pretty bad. I take my sharpener with me every time I go up to put an edge on them. She's terrible on knives.

She has one though that is perfect for carving up the turkey. Supposedly it's a 1960s US Army culinary knife. The blade is carbon steel and just flexible enough that it is great for getting in between joints and cutting the breasts off the bird.

Being carbon steel it also takes an incredibly sharp edge.

It's also stiff enough to use for carving the breasts and other bird parts.

We generally like our turkey a bit thicker, but when we have people who like it thin, it will cut paper thin slices.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »
I'm an oyster dressing fan. Personally, I prefer to make part of the dressing in the bird and part in a pan...then throw that nasty bird out when the dressing is done.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2014, 05:21:45 PM »

stay safe.

I use a fillet knife to carve roasted fowl.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re:
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2014, 07:51:05 PM »
God I would love to make oyster stuffing but my family won't hear of it.

I'll have to make it on my own.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Re:
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2014, 08:29:33 PM »
God I would love to make oyster stuffing but my family won't hear of it.

I'll have to make it on my own.

I would too if I could get fresh oysters.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2014, 08:48:19 PM »
Too much hassle. When I've made oyster stew I've never used fresh.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2014, 08:55:59 PM »
Too much hassle. When I've made oyster stew I've never used fresh.

Every time I have made oyster stew and stuffing from the oysters at the meat counter from the local grocery store it has tasted nasty.

When I have made oyster stew from oysters that were purchased with in 24 hours from the ocean fish market, it was awesome.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Re: Need advice to keep marriage intact
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2014, 09:21:40 PM »
I use a fillet knife to carve roasted fowl.
Why have i never thought of that? 

My favorite carving knife haiks from the depression.  Love that carbon steel.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2014, 09:09:22 AM »
Every time I have made oyster stew and stuffing from the oysters at the meat counter from the local grocery store it has tasted nasty.

When I have made oyster stew from oysters that were purchased with in 24 hours from the ocean fish market, it was awesome.

You're not supposed to use Mountain Oysters...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »
You're not supposed to use Mountain Oysters...

:rofl:

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Re: Re: Re: Need advice to keep marriage intact
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2014, 11:13:54 AM »
Why have i never thought of that? 

Because most people equate fillet knife with cleaning of fish.

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2014, 12:50:55 PM »
Speaking of knives, and the need to sharpen them, I've always been an advocate of the Lanskey system.

The results can't be discounted, but they're something of a pain in the butt to use.

Recently I picked up one of these from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/multifunction-sharpener-65579.html

I'm hesitant to use it on my really good knives, but I have to admit that it does a very nice job on my general purpose kitchen knives.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
Need non-cooking relationship advice. I have a long house and the pellet stove is on far end. The ladyfriend doesn't like the noise of the fan which does an awesome job of distributing the heat through 80% of the house and turns it off. And never back on again. And does the same thing with the space heater in the bedroom too. She doesn't like being cold, but apparently doesn't like stuff that makes the house warmer.

Suggestions? Any silent or very quiet fan technology I'm unfamiliar with?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2014, 02:01:31 PM »
Yeah...

Tell her to keep her ()&*%^()*&$%()*&# hands off your heating devices.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
Need non-cooking relationship advice. I have a long house and the pellet stove is on far end. The ladyfriend doesn't like the noise of the fan which does an awesome job of distributing the heat through 80% of the house and turns it off. And never back on again. And does the same thing with the space heater in the bedroom too. She doesn't like being cold, but apparently doesn't like stuff that makes the house warmer.

Here you go  >:D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2014, 02:49:02 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-Universal-Switch-Lockout/dp/B001925P6W

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2014, 02:54:11 PM »

Built in fan or box fan or what?

Some fans can move a buttload of air without sounding like a 737 on takeoff.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2014, 03:53:45 PM »
Also depends on what is making the noise. Fan motor? Air on the intake side? Air on the vent side? What type of enclosure are we talking about here? Needed cfm and form factor for ducting etc?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.