Author Topic: Skynet has a NAvy now  (Read 2854 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Skynet has a NAvy now
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:03:50 PM »

A high-speed, stealthy and futuristic shaped boat appeared through the twilight, as if taken out of a science fiction scene. It sliced the water quickly and gracefully, closing-in on the target vessel with extreme agility.  A gun barrel at the bow, kept its aim steady on the same point of the target vessel, in spite of the boat's movement through the water and the swell of the sea, as if it was firmly connected with invisible wire.  A close look would reveal a somewhat surrealistic picture, as no personnel is seen onboard the fast maneuvering boat. Where is the crew that operates this highly-capable patrol boat?

No, it's not science fiction. It is Rafael's 'Protector', an unmanned integrated naval combat system, based on unmanned surface vehicles (USV). Highly autonomous and remotely controlled, Protector is able to conduct a wide spectrum of critical missions, while eliminating unnecessary risk to personnel and capital assets.

Recently, USV have come to center stage, gaining recognition in their potential to effectively carry out a wide variety of missions. In a sense, USV's are following the footsteps of their mature relatives – UAV's, which have proved successful after more than two decades of operation, and have paved the way to wide recognition of the advantages of unmanned vehicles in general. A USV system is transformational in nature; able to carry out diverse missions using its SPEAR** (Stealthy, Penetrating, Enduring, Asymmetric, and Risk-free) characteristics. It provides high operational effectiveness in a wide variety of defense missions, including Anti-terror/Force Protection, ISR (Intelligence, Surveillance, Reconnaissance), ASuW (Anti-Surface Warfare), ASW (Anti Submarine Warfare) and Mine Warfare.  Moreover, it is highly suitable for homeland security missions related to the maritime domain, including security and anti-terror along coastal areas, in ports, and critical strategic infrastructures.

RAFAEL Ltd., a world leader in advanced weapon systems, has developed a USV based weapon system – the Protector. The Protector's design and implementation is based on the company's extensive experience and know-how in defense technology, as well as its in-depth understanding of the naval arena. Recently the Protector USV has successfully passed extensive trials which validated the maturity of the system, positioning it as a leading operational USV worldwide.

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/naval/protector/Protector.html

(more pictures and videos of Protector)
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: Skynet has a NAvy now
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »
A remote controlled boat, big deal, they've been around forever...  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »
 :rolleyes: My son has one in his bathtub.  :rolleyes:  Shoots missles and everything.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 02:16:56 PM »
A remote controlled boat, big deal, they've been around forever...  =D

You haven't seen Who Made Who have you?   =D

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »
Wonder how well that'd fare against, say, a remote controlled torpedo;/

Kinda like that relatively cheap Exocet that took out the much more expensive HMS Sheffield...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 02:23:01 PM »
I suspect they would fare fairly well against a torpedo. The boat is probably a lot more nimble than a torp.

Against a missile? That might be another matter.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 02:23:25 PM »
Wonder how well that'd fare against, say, a remote controlled torpedo;/

Kinda like that relatively cheap Exocet that took out the much more expensive HMS Sheffield...

Would you waste a torpedo on a tiny, though remote-controlled, boat that is likely to be cheaper than a torpedo?

Would you have a torpedo if you're a terrorist/illegal alien infiltrator on a boat?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2008, 02:42:10 PM »
What if you're a really smart terrorist and you scuba your way to the boat, disconnect or disable the remote control and take the little frigger over?  =D

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »
You don't think cheap, WWII-technology torpedoes aren't available from 3rd world sources?

Hell, it doesn't have to even be a full-sized fish to do the job.  That thin-skinned "thing" with the gun on top looks fairly soft to me, honestly - right down to the stretched tarps substituting for an upper deck.

I think Jamis' symbol of wretched excess looks considerably more substantial as far as boats go.

If I were a terrorist (but I digress...) there would be many ways I'd consider defeating the little remote-control flivver. 

It really depends on the value of the assets that toy gunboat was trying to defend, honestly.  That determines the best bang for the buck.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2008, 02:44:43 PM »
The idea is I think to replace the IDF's arsenal of tiny anti-smuggler speedboats.

Which are all vulnerable to the same stuff, except for having actual people onboard.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »
How many of those things could you put on and in an Aircraft Carrier if you ditched the aircraft? A whole bunch.

Modify them to carry 1 launchable MK48 torpedoe, give 'em a range of 300 miles or so round trip. Make 'em remote controlled by a human operator with a 360 visible view and radar. Put a broad spectrum RF jammer on board that's digital so you could still communicate with it remotely. Launch a 100 or so against an opposing fleet. They'd be a lot harder to sink than shooting down an aircraft is or even an incoming missile and a heck of a lot cheaper to build and maintain than an attack aircraft. A lot easier to train an operator too I'd bet.

Sub launched torps might have a chance at taking one out - maybe - but would be easily defeated IMO by the simple expedient of never going in a straight line for more than a few seconds and maintaining a relatively high speed. A MK-48 ADCAP is a wonderful weapon and could track one of those boats easily - trouble is it couldn't maneuver with it - maybe modify the MK-48 to go off via proximity instead of magnetically would help - maybe not.

Missiles could take one out but then that's what the broad spectrum digital RF jammer is for plus chaff is really quite effective. Which makes me think maybe an IR jammer should be added to the thing also.

A 100 of those things modified per my suggestions could take out any standard naval TF on the planet.

50 or 60 might get blown away in the attack but who'd care. Cheaper to replace than men and aircraft and IMO way more effective if operated correctly.

Wonder why no one thought of this before? What am I missing here? I don't see a downside at all.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 05:34:05 PM by Werewolf »
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 05:37:39 PM »
RC kamikazi boats...?  Don't you think electrons have feelings, too?  =(

Why not USMVs (Unmanned SubMarine Vehicles) ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2008, 05:42:02 PM »
RC kamikazi boats...?  Don't you think electrons have feelings, too?  =(

Why not USMVs (Unmanned SubMarine Vehicles) ???

Very difficult to communicate with and thus control a submerged vehicle.

RF is not really an option unless you depth limit the vehicle to less than 30' or so. Digital pulse modulated sound might work but at high frequencies would be range limited and at lower and longer range capable frequencies wouldn't have the bandwidth to adequately control the vehicle.

I actuall thought of using a submersible but rejected the idea based on currently available technologies that I am aware of.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2008, 05:46:24 PM »
How many of those things could you put on and in an Aircraft Carrier if you ditched the aircraft? A whole bunch.

Modify them to carry 1 launchable MK48 torpedoe, give 'em a range of 300 miles or so round trip. Make 'em remote controlled by a human operator with a 360 visible view and radar. Put a broad spectrum RF jammer on board that's digital so you could still communicate with it remotely. Launch a 100 or so against an opposing fleet. They'd be a lot harder to sink than shooting down an aircraft is or even an incoming missile and a heck of a lot cheaper to build and maintain than an attack aircraft. A lot easier to train an operator too I'd bet.

Sub launched torps might have a chance at taking one out - maybe - but would be easily defeated IMO by the simple expedient of never going in a straight line for more than a few seconds and maintaining a relatively high speed. A MK-48 ADCAP is a wonderful weapon and could track one of those boats easily - trouble is it couldn't maneuver with it - maybe modify the MK-48 to go off via proximity instead of magnetically would help - maybe not.

Missiles could take one out but then that's what the broad spectrum digital RF jammer is for plus chaff is really quite effective. Which makes me think maybe an IR jammer should be added to the thing also.

A 100 of those things modified per my suggestions could take out any standard naval TF on the planet.

50 or 60 might get blown away in the attack but who'd care. Cheaper to replace than men and aircraft and IMO way more effective if operated correctly.

Wonder why no one thought of this before? What am I missing here? I don't see a downside at all.

Might be able to put a Harpoon launcher on it also?
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2008, 05:57:39 PM »
How about a nice single 16" gun?  =D

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 08:34:22 PM »
It would make a nice accessory to SS APS.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?