Author Topic: Mo' cops mo' problems  (Read 3080 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Mo' cops mo' problems
« on: March 31, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »
http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2014/03/small_town_big_problem_lawsuit.html#incart_river_default

Small town in Michigan is losing its insurance because of the cost of lawsuits filed against it. No idea if this is a corrupt local .gov or a series of frivolous suits. However, one thing in this article really stood out to me.

Total village population is 300. Local PD has 100(!) reserve officers. Assuming normal population distribution curves for family vs singles, this seems like virtually every household in the village has at least one reserve officer in it? Seems wonky to me. Any Michiganders able to comment on what's going on here?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Mo' cops mo' problems
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 04:19:37 PM »
Somewhere in the middle lies the truth.  I live 1 square mile city (in OH) and we don't have no where near that many reserve officers. 
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 05:58:19 PM »
Somewhere in the middle lies the truth.  I live 1 square mile city (in OH) and we don't have no where near that many reserve officers. 

My gut feeling is this. Skeezy/sleazy, with everyone being reserve officers, due to whatever power, privileges, or some as to yet undisclosed benefit they get from the status. And just a good-ol-boy network.

However, maybe not overtly criminal or fraudulent.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 06:03:19 PM »
Might just be covering some technicality for when they need a S&R team.  If it's that rural, then everybody probably knows the area pretty well.  Offer some basic training and sign them on as reserves so you can get funding to supply radios, etc.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »
I guess I was thinking about celebrity reserve officers or people designated as reserve who don't live there. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

• friends
Re:
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 06:25:02 PM »
My read is the reserve officers fund the police force. Pay up and get a badge. Why that would be a lot like a citizen militia. Kinda all libertarian like

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 10:53:19 PM »

If it is the one-square mile city I am thinking of, I may not know about the current state of the pokice department,  but in my youth it had some great men wearing a badge for the city.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 11:35:10 PM »
Cheviot is my current residence.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 05:14:34 AM »
Two thoughts:  Would the reserve officers be covered by LEOSA?  Also, are the reserve officers part of the state retirement system?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 11:51:54 AM by adively »

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 06:49:44 AM »
Cheviot is my current residence.

Oops.  Wrong one. Sorry .
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 07:25:57 AM »
Oops.  Wrong one. Sorry .
Which one were you thinking of?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 07:51:26 AM »
Two thoughts:  Would the reserve officers be covered by LEOSA?  Also, are the reserve officers part of the stat retirement system?
Depends. In my area, some jurisdictions' reserves are sworn law enforcement with coverage under LEOSA. Others are essentially volunteer traffic directors with no arrest power or qualified immunity. Seems to me that if these are authorized to be armed officers by the city, they are probably full LEOs, but I don't know that for certain.

As Balog says, it is hard to pass judgement on their program without a little more information, but their abnormally high rate of lawsuits seems to indicate a training problem at minimum. In this case, my first thought is good ol boy network rather than libertarian paradise, but it could go either way, I suppose.

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:02:29 AM »
what was that "rate of law suits"
4 with one entity? are there other suits?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re:
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
My read is the reserve officers fund the police force. Pay up and get a badge. Why that would be a lot like a citizen militia. Kinda all libertarian like

I was wondering if it was a way to essentially hand out CCW permits  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
Re: Re: Re:
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »

No way for me to know but it would certainly be a great incentive to donate
Plus you show id when running 85 in a 70 on the way to Disney World

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re:
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »

CCW is difficult to get in MI?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re:
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2014, 02:54:46 PM »

There used to be a panel or board you had to go in front of and MI was kinda/sorta middling-fair "may issue" until only a few years back IIRC...
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re:
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »

Could just be a pro-2A chief that was working around state law  =|

Just like MT has a law that says if you are legal owner then you are "permitted" in regard to the school zone ban.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re:
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2014, 10:41:50 PM »
There used to be a panel or board you had to go in front of and MI was kinda/sorta middling-fair "may issue" until only a few years back IIRC...

Nah, we went shall-issue in 2001.  Since then requirements ave only been relaxed.

We do still have county "gun boards" that comprise three people, one being the county prosecutor, and they have the OPTION of having people come in for a questioning before getting their permit but it is rarely done.  My county (Ottawa) is the only one I know of where EVERYBODY has to come in; because our prosecutor is a prick about CCW.

As far as what's going on "over there" -- no idea.  Basically that whole region, which is where my wife is from, is referred to, even by her, as "scum of the thumb."  An economically depressed sh*thole, basically.  While in Saginaw earlier this year we saw a hand made sign on a liquor store that said, "NOW EXCEPTING WIC" and I commented to my wife, "Isn't it nice living in the area of the state where we have things jobs... and books?"

No amount of violent, stupidity, or corruption would surprise me.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2014, 10:57:20 AM »
Nah, we went shall-issue in 2001.  Since then requirements ave only been relaxed.

We do still have county "gun boards" that comprise three people, one being the county prosecutor, and they have the OPTION of having people come in for a questioning before getting their permit but it is rarely done.  My county (Ottawa) is the only one I know of where EVERYBODY has to come in; because our prosecutor is a prick about CCW.

As far as what's going on "over there" -- no idea.  Basically that whole region, which is where my wife is from, is referred to, even by her, as "scum of the thumb."  An economically depressed sh*thole, basically.  While in Saginaw earlier this year we saw a hand made sign on a liquor store that said, "NOW EXCEPTING WIC" and I commented to my wife, "Isn't it nice living in the area of the state where we have things jobs... and books?"

No amount of violent, stupidity, or corruption would surprise me.

Your wife was born in Saginaw, Michigan  ???

;)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »

;)

They call her "Lefty"
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 11:51:46 AM »
They call her "Lefty"

And her dad was a poor hardworking Saginaw fisherman.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re:
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »
"scum of the thumb." 

:rofl:

I'm going to have to remember that one, and use it for Door county, or Wisconsin's "thumb". But it'll have the exact opposite connotation. As that area is largely tourism/resorts/boating for Chicago and the area is WI's attempt at "wine country". (minus that whole little "winter problem" we have up here...  ;/ )

So, you're going on a wine-tasting tour in Door county? Gonna go hang with the scum of the thumb, huh?  =D
I promise not to duck.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 09:16:19 PM »

;)

I don't get the joke.  But she was actually born in Germany, moved to Kentucky after a few months, then to Vassar, MI (close to Saginaw) when she was 10.