Author Topic: Army decides it has too much money, prepares to burn large piles of it  (Read 2380 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
http://www.army.mil/article/121866/Army_testing_combat_boots__camouflage_patterns/

It always amazes me how much changing something like a uniform costs a large organization.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
http://www.army.mil/article/121866/Army_testing_combat_boots__camouflage_patterns/

It always amazes me how much changing something like a uniform costs a large organization.

And since the ACU's suck in most environments, consider that money pissed down a drain.

As much pride as I have in being a Marine, I still agree that it should be one battle uniform for all branches.  Separate dress uniforms, whatever.  That doesn't require the level of testing that BDU's do.
And non-combat utility wear should be pilot suit jumpers.  (IE, mechanics, flight line, etc)

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
As much pride as I have in being a Marine, I still agree that it should be one battle uniform for all branches.  Separate dress uniforms, whatever.  That doesn't require the level of testing that BDU's do.
And non-combat utility wear should be pilot suit jumpers.  (IE, mechanics, flight line, etc)

USAF here, agreed.  Besides the utility wear I think BDU type uniforms should be:
1.  Universal cut.  IE the pockets and buttons and such are in the same palce. 
2.  Regional pattern.  IE you swap out the actual pattern for one that's region specific as necessary
3.  Hot weather and cold weather. 
4.  Not service specific.  Only difference between the four services would be the patches put on it.

birdman

• friend
USAF here, agreed.  Besides the utility wear I think BDU type uniforms should be:
2.  Regional pattern.  IE you swap out the actual pattern for one that's region specific as necessary
4.  Not service specific.  Only difference between the four services would be the patches put on it.

Can we add "have a navy uniform that isn't the color of water".  Its funny, we make life jackets blaze orange for a reason...yet the navy's "camouflage" (odd, one would think hiding the people would be less of a concern than hiding the big grey thing floating there) is well, designed to blend in with water?

T.O.M.

• friend
Agree with Jamis.  I was Army back in the 80s and early 90s.  Nice that at a glance I could tell an American from anyone else. 
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Can we add "have a navy uniform that isn't the color of water".  Its funny, we make life jackets blaze orange for a reason...yet the navy's "camouflage" (odd, one would think hiding the people would be less of a concern than hiding the big grey thing floating there) is well, designed to blend in with water?

That would be AQUAFLAGE, thank you very much.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
That would be AQUAFLAGE, thank you very much.

First time I saw it, I assumed it was a prank. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend

Most people, especially the ones wearing it, still feel that way!!!!

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in

Wait, I thought the whole Navy was some kind of improv comedy thing.  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends

Wait, I thought the whole Navy was some kind of improv comedy thing.  ???

Tain't funny McGee.

Maybe a tragi-comedy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Army decides it has too much money, prepares to burn large piles of it
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »

If they did that, how would you guys make fun of the Air Force?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 03:02:22 PM »

It ain't the uniforms we're laughin' at.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »

It ain't the uniforms we're laughin' at.

And PJs were always the exception to the jokes.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book

Up until 2000-something, everyone wore BDUs. Even navy when they came to army schools or other things requiring them to be on land
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 05:07:59 PM »
And PJs were always the exception to the jokes.

Said Marcus Luttrell ("Lone Survivor") who was rescued by PJ's in A'Stan.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 05:21:39 AM »
The most important factor in the development of the jungle boot -- or any new boot for that matter -- he said, is Soldier feedback from real-use, rigorous testing.

Uh huh.  That's what you guys said about UCP too.  Though I never met a Soldier that could stand the uniform or thought it was effective.  Apparently they have a brigade of special Soldiers somewhere to help pick crappy uniforms.  Though if they'd just stop being idiots and go with Multicam we'd be alright.

And the rucksack and the assault pack and the poncho and the poncho liner and the cold weather gear and the wet weather gear and the sleeping mat and the sleeping bag and the vest/plate carrier and the ammo/gear pouches and the helmet cover and the PT cap...

God bless you guys but the Air Force takes the cake.  Let's make the same uniform as the Army, except in tiger stripe, and green boots because...?  If the rest of your service would listen to you maybe we could get things sorted out.  :)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 11:52:13 AM »
http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/08/us-army-introduces-revolutionary-new-woodland-camouflage-uniform-to-replace-acu/

Brigadier General Paul A. Ostrowski said that this was an innovative way to “solve the camo debacle and hit soldiers with the green weenie,” which he called a win-win.

“In this age of austerity, we find that we can simply charge soldiers for any uniforms they may have misplaced or thrown away,” said Ostrowski. “Luckily, we can pass along significant savings to the taxpayers by screwing over the warfighter.”

Ostrowski continued, reflecting with a smile on the best ways to field gear to soldiers who will “bitch about it for years to come.”

“We at PEO-Soldier thrive on thinking outside the box. Not a day goes by that we don’t think to ourselves, ‘how can we screw over the trigger-pullers this time’? We weren’t sure how we’d top the ACU mess, but we can definitely deliver when the top brass calls for us to produce more bullshit and call it innovation.”

Hard to parody Army acquisition folk at times.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re:
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 01:37:29 PM »
Duffleblog is great, because the parody is so often close to reality
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog