Author Topic: CNN cuts the foreplay, goes straight to calling for communism  (Read 14050 times)

brimic

• friends
Re: CNN cuts the foreplay, goes straight to calling for communism
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2014, 10:56:26 AM »
The other problem is finding employers that will respect your class schedule.  My first two attempts at working my way through college ended with sudden work schedule changes early in the semester, and "work it or get fired" orders.  Both times I quit the job and finished the semester on ramen noodles and the generosity of friends, then had to take other jobs that were completely incompatible with any available class schedule.

Or profs who will respect your work schedule...
I had to drop and retake a calculus class because the prof was an inflexible [tinfoil]. Class was at 10 AM, exam section was at 4pm, I worked in the facotry from 3-11 every night. After the first day of class when the syllabus was handed out, I talked to the prof and told him of my situation and asked if I could take the exams earlier in the day, he said "no problem, we'll work something out when the time comes."
A week before the 1st exam, I approached him and he told me "No. I do not schedule special tiems for students who can't make it, either show up or drop my class."
This was back in 1993 or so, and I was getting $10.50/hr for 40-45 hrs a week... I wasn't going to drop the job for a $500 class.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #101 on: April 22, 2014, 11:12:08 AM »
A week before the 1st exam, I approached him and he told me "No. I do not schedule special tiems for students who can't make it, either show up or drop my class."

Had one worse than that at DeVry; he would show up 20-30 minutes late for class, have it run over by the same amount, then dock points for lack of attendance for those who left at the scheduled end time to get to work or their next class.  2-3 times, admin staff would come sit in and take notes.  Those times he would end it on time.  Several students, including myself, recorded his rant about the lack of respect for his sacrifice in deigning to try to educate us, and took it to the dean.  He ended up finishing the semester with observers in every class, and wasn't there the next semester.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #102 on: April 22, 2014, 07:53:16 PM »
Don't forget summer semesters to get some of the core curriculum out of the way faster or retake certain failed courses.  Also a lot have a winter mini-mester for the same reason.  Basically full-time class from right after Christmas until a day or two before the regular Spring semester starts.

Not necessarily, I only had 2 classes worth of AP credits when I got to school, and finished in 3.5 years with a double major and over half of my masters classes done.  I took zero classes during summer or during January term.
Of course, I averaged 7 full classes a term, which would have been higher but freshman are restricted to 4.5 classes a semester to stay on pass/fail.